• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stroller To Wedding

justagentlemen

Reaction score
I've been invited to a relatives afternoon wedding,and I want to wear a stroller.The ceremony begins at about 4:00 pm,is that too late?Now before anyone says anything,I will not be out dressing the groom ,who will be in a tailcoat (white
eek.gif
).And besides,I'm fairly certain that I'll be the only member of the sartorial illuminati in attendance,so most if not all people will just think that it's an interesting sport coat/waistcoat/trouser combo.My stroller outfit consists of the following:

Black DB jacket,formal striped trousers,dove grey (or buff,opinions needed) waistcoat,pale blue/white striped shirt with contrast collar/cuffs,and black cap toe oxfords.Any opinions would be welcome.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always looked at constrast collar shirts as extremely business. I would wear a white shirt.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The very mention of the world "stroller" here generally evokes a whole lot of hysteria and breast beating, as though you were wearing court dress. That is part of the reason I dislike the American term stroller (apart from the fact that it sounds like a baby pram). The English call it a "black jacket and striped trousers". That's all it is - just the substitution of striped trousers for matching ones. It's hard to know what the big deal is.

It sounds like you've read the past debates on this sort of thing, so if you've got it flaunt it, and feel comfortable about it. The worst thing you can do is ask the forum about it.

I recently had someone PM me about wearing white tie and tails to a black tie event. I said just do it and don't ask the forum as everyone will analyse it to death and start breast beating about how the hosts will faint with mortification and be grievously offended blah blah. He took my advice and wore it, to find it was a huge hit with the ladies, and only got complements.

With that, I say: just do it.

justagentlemen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
The very mention of the world "stroller" here generally evokes a whole lot of hysteria and breast beating, as though you were wearing court dress. That is part of the reason I dislike the American term stroller (apart from the fact that it sounds like a baby pram). The English call it a "black jacket and striped trousers". That's all it is - just the substitution of striped trousers for matching ones. It's hard to know what the big deal is.

It sounds like you've read the past debates on this sort of thing, so if you've got it flaunt it, and feel comfortable about it. The worst thing you can do is ask the forum about it.

I recently had someone PM me about wearing white tie and tails to a black tie event. I said just do it and don't ask the forum as everyone will analyse it to death and start breast beating about how the hosts will faint with mortification and be grievously offended blah blah. He took my advice and wore it, to find it was a huge hit with the ladies, and only got complements.

Thanks!And I'll be sure to start using the English term for it!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the groom is wearing White Tie they are establishing that eveningwear is the standard. I think wearing daytime formalwear would be in very poor form.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
If the groom is wearing White Tie they are establishing that eveningwear is the standard. I think wearing daytime formalwear would be in very poor form.

+1

if the groom is in full evening dress, there's no reason to dress in day ceremony dress unless you plan to be the waiter

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
+1

if the groom is in full evening dress, there's no reason to dress in day ceremony dress unless you plan to be the waiter

+2

Or unless you just really feel the need to garner as much attention for yourself, on their day, as possible.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lemme get this straight: The groom is going to be in a white tailcoat, and you are worrying about sartorial propriety? C'mon man! That sounds like a costume for "Dancing with the Stars." Are the bride and groom going to entertain the guests with a song and dance routine during or after the ceremony?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justagentlemen
,I will not be out dressing the groom ,who will be in a tailcoat (white
eek.gif
). .

Can some one advise what levelof servant (or maybe performing artist) wears such a garment?

Or maybe it is fancy dress.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
+2

Or unless you just really feel the need to garner as much attention for yourself, on their day, as possible.

+1

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by MrDaniels

Originally Posted by JLibourel
Lemme get this straight: The groom is going to be in a white tailcoat, and you are worrying about sartorial propriety? C'mon man! That sounds like a costume for "Dancing with the Stars." Are the bride and groom going to entertain the guests with a song and dance routine during or after the ceremony?

I agree with J Lib. A white tailcoat is not "evening dress". Wear the striped pants. IIRC, a contrast collar is pretty standard for a stroller and not necessarily "business" at all.

twostrollerscopyff9.jpg

semiformalchartcopysk6.jpg

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel

LOL. This was my thought. Who exactly do you think you would be offending? Cab Calloway?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As predicated the very mention of the word "stroller" has provoked the predicted response about it being "ceremonial dress". This is ceremonial dress:

Napoleon_Great.jpg

What people really mean by expressing shock and horror about wearing "ceremonial dress" is they have never worn a black/charcoal jacket with striped trousers and so feel uncomfortable about it in case they are mistaken for Napoleon Bonaparte out to crown himself Emperor.

For goodness sakes, all you are doing is wearing striped trousers and an odd waistcoat. 97% of people will think you are dressed rather informally in a sports coat with odd trousers and waistcoat. The 3% of people in the know (usually older) will respect you for dressing properly.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, wearing a white tie or a morning coat is NOW ceremonial dress for a lot of us.

That Napoleon the Great style ceremonial dress is only appropriate in Halloween or some museum/historic events; and even then nobody should wear it unless they are a clown or royalty.

As predicated the very mention of the word "stroller" has provoked the predicted response about it being "ceremonial dress". This is ceremonial dress:

Napoleon_Great.jpg

What people really mean by expressing shock and horror about wearing "ceremonial dress" is they have never worn a black/charcoal jacket with striped trousers and so feel uncomfortable about it in case they are mistaken for Napoleon Bonaparte out to crown himself Emperor.

For goodness sakes, all you are doing is wearing striped trousers and an odd waistcoat. 97% of people will think you are dressed rather informally in a sports coat with odd trousers and waistcoat. The 3% of people in the know (usually older) will respect you for dressing properly.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
With all due respect, wearing a white tie or a morning coat is NOW ceremonial dress for a lot of us.
I am amazed my the reaction provoked by a mere pair of striped trousers. The OP never once suggested wearing a morning coat or even morning dress. A lounge jacket and striped trousers are just informal dress. It is not morning dress in any way, shape or form. So much so, it might as well be a sports coat and odd trousers. 97% of people will think that a lounge coat with matching trousers (ie a suit) are more "ceremonial" and more formal anyway. So I rest my case about the term "stroller" being a dreadful term guaranteed to evoke every imaginable misunderstanding. It really should not be used except when discussing perambulators for babies. It is time we put it's sartorial use to rest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads