• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stroller to a funeral (Followup)

lordofpi

Reaction score
My first thread posted here in the spring asked the question if it would be advised in the modern day to wear a stroller to a funeral. I know that from years past, formal daywear was the sine qua non for events such as this, among others. That is why there never was the need for a black suit, because formalwear existed. I received many kneejerk reactions adjuring me that, should I do such a thing, the End Times would surely begin to unfold right then and there; I think it had something to do with opening a transchronal nexus that would cause a rip in space-time, but that was 5 months ago, and my memory is not so good.

Back then, the post was in reference to my now-departed uncle, requiescat in pace. A clothes-hound himself, and a great inspiration to me, I thought it would be appropriate to don something more formal. Thanks to the peer pressure here, I yielded and wore a black suit. No harm was done, of course, but I sort of did regret not having tried.

I had a funeral to attend the week, and I decided to give it a go. I wear a suit all day everyday anyway, so this was a merely mild step up, which I realized once I had it on. It goes back to the same old story: if you are not confident in wearing something, then it cannot look proper.

Anyhow, I came home and immediately had to have my fiancÃ
00a9.png
e snap a couple of photos to show you all how atrocious and archaic I looked. Needless to say, everyone at the affair was appalled and none of my friends will talk to me ever again. Also, they gave me a scarlet letter "A" (for a$$h@le) and sewed it to my topcoat. I apologize for the poor quality and shadows:

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

So what is here? A charcoal, single-breased, single-button, peak lapelled three-piece with formal trousers. The chill is already in the air in the Northeast, so out came my black wool topcoat and my homburg. I think my black suit can now be donated to that Men's Wearhouse men's clothing drive.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
arent you more concerned with the deceased then the opinions of SF?

I went my my Granpa's Memorial dinner with Navy Pinstripes, some crazy Paul Smith socks, brown shoes, a linen PS, light blue shirt, Navy Pindot tie.

My Grandpa would have gotten a kick out of it, since he was formal, but had a wild side (hence the socks).

These nut jobs here would tell me that my family would stop talking to me because of it....they havent.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
These funeral threads frequently give me the creeps.

More thought should be given to comforting the family of the deceased than in worrying about which dandy stuff you'll wear. Anything that attracts attention to you could possibly distract from the real purpose of the event.

I think even black suits and black ties are theatrical, or at least can be if you give the impression that you are happy to strut this seldom worn item. Just wear a conservative suit or sport coat if you don't have a suit with a conservative shirt and tie.

(If you don't own any of these items and really can't at least get a shirt and tie before the funeral, go to the funeral and do your best to pay your respects.)

lordofpi

Reaction score
I guess everyone just deals with it differently. I feel the same way: that to strut about to show off is absurd. A funeral, despite what everyone says they would like it to be, is (99.99% of the time) a very somber and sad occasion. Nevertheless, the older you get, the more funerals you attend; you'll see. I wear my stroller pretty often anyhow (different waistcoat, though); to me, it just works as the most somber, formal clothing I own.

I felt the need to revisit this topic not to show off; the point was that I was lambasted at the time for wanting to wear something very costumey, when -- at least it would seem to me -- this is clearly not the case.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lordofpi
the point was that I was lambasted at the time for wanting to wear something very costumey, when -- at least it would seem to me -- this is clearly not the case.

Do you ever think that people might not tell you to your face what they think of you?

dl

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you stepping on your suit with your boots in the last photo?

lordofpi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
Do you ever think that people might not tell you to your face what they think of you?

dl

I already told you I was ostricized! Read the post.

Anyhow, most of the people with whom I associate would definitely indicate a problem without question. I'm sure I would very easily get a, "What the fsck are you wearing?" from any one of them.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Are you stepping on your suit with your boots in the last photo?

Actually, that's my topcoat, and I'm not quite sure why I did that -- probably because I'm not that thrilled with it.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you concerned about what people will wear to your funeral?

Personally, I could care less what people wear to my funeral ( hopefully a ways off ). Though I must say that my first thoughts are that your choice of dress in this particular instance is much more toward "costume" than "disrespect", given the occasion.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you hike your foot up on the casket and announce, "That's right, bitches ... balmoral boots!"?

Seriously? Your first thought upon returning home from a funeral is to take pics of your outfit to share with some guys on the internet?

lefty

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats the big fuss about?

You seem to be wearing a 3-piece suit, white shirt, black tie, a topcoat and hat.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Did you hike your foot up on the casket and announce, "That's right, bitches ... balmoral boots!"?

No, because I don't own balmoral boots.

Originally Posted by lefty
Seriously? Your first thought upon returning home from a funeral is to take pics of your outfit to share with some guys on the internet?

Actually I thought about it three days before, all week long, in the morning when I put the stroller on, all day while I was at work, and at dinner after the viewing. After all that thought, it was an easy task to simply remember to take a couple snapshots when I got home. Be real.

Should I have had some other thought as I was taking off the very outfit for the very scenario we had discussed? Sorry, but my toilet wasn't overflowing at that moment, and there was no one knocking on the door. That was the only thing I was thinking about. Some day, I shall share my memoirs on that very moment in time in a Joyce-esque ramble so that you know what was going through my head second to second as I removed the lens cap.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Whats the big fuss about?

You seem to be wearing a 3-piece suit, white shirt, black tie, a topcoat and hat.

Ding ding ding, you win!
teacha.gif

mill_regis_b6.jpg

lordofpi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Are you concerned about what people will wear to your funeral?

No. Funerals are for the sake of the living, not for the deceased.

tlmusic

Reaction score
To cite an an example of "proper funeral attire": Prince Charles wore a navy blue DB suit (with a white shirt and black straight tie) to Lady Diana's funeral.

However, when the Queen Mother died, he wore full military dress. The Princes William and Harry wore morning coats with white shirts and black straight ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads