• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stroller (the baby kind)

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging from gdl's thread, there are a bunch of expecting fathers here. I'm stroller shopping for my own (due in May) and it's a little bewildering. I could use your collective wisdom. I live in Los Angeles - we don't ride the bus or take the subway. We drive everywhere and walk on paved sidewalks. Obviously, this is the style forum, so don't forget about aesthetics...Trying to avoid those rolling plastic 9 cupholder abominations. What stroller would you recommend?

Oh a related note, if you're aware of any good forums re baby gear, please let me know.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
You'd be surprised how useful the multiple cupholder abominations can be. I forget the brand but we had a rather nice one when the middle child was born, which was very quickly replaced when we found out that the youngest was on the way. The inlaws got us a graco or something similar and while it may not be pleasing to the eye, it's useful and serves it's prupose.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the first few months when the baby is still riding in an infant car seat, just get the lightweight Snap and Go stroller that you simply attach the car seat into. No need to transfer the baby from a car seat to stroller when he will most likely be sleeping. Afterwards, or for the rare strolls from your place, get a lightweight Mclaren. They are the best for the use you describe.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When it comes to babies, convenience trumps all forms of purported beauty.

What I'm trying to say is there is a reason why they make these strollers with 9 cup holders.

Options that are useful:

Big rubber wheels- provides better roller, some even come with shock absorber.
Cup holders- the more the better, trust me
One hand folding/unfolding mechansim- also very important

Generally, if you are willing to spend about $200 you'll get a very decent product.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
let me talk to the wife, she did the research, and get back to you

but, yeah, cupholders are very important, as is the ability to drive with one hand, and the ability for your wife to fold it with one hand. the last may be the most important for you, in LA.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just had our latest son on the 17th. The best we've found for newborns is Baby Trend. The carseat detaches from a base that you leave in the car and it drops right onto a stroller designed to receive it. They make a good light stroller for the older ones too. We've found that the big prams are just a pain ********** to manoeuver.Our Peg Perego is parked downstairs as a bassinette. Lighter is generally better unless you're looking for a running stroller.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
McClaren is the Range Rover of strollers.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Tried those too. Didn't end up buying one.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In what sense?

I have noticed that strollers go in waves - all you need to do to determine the official model is to go to an NYC playground in a nice neighborhood during the day and see what strollers the nannies have lined up against the park fence (sometimes, there are actual moms present, but they don't line up the strollers as neatly).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
In Westchester, at the "in" playgrounds, all you see are McLarens.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
!!!! That was five years ago in NYC. Maybe the cycle has come around and I haven't noticed it, but Maclarens fell by the wayside as the stroller of choice several years ago.

Well, it's been three years since I paid attention, so maybe we are just two years behind Manhattan.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bah. Bugaboos are still the It strollers, and for good reason. They are sturdy, well-designed and a pleasure to push. I've never been impressed with McLarens.

The one knock against the bugaboo for your application is that it breaks down into two pieces, which makes it a little harder to stow and retrieve from the back of a car. Quinnys, which I believe are now available in the U.S., are one piece, can be folded and unfolded one-handed, and are pretty cool-looking to boot.

OTOH, if you are going to have an infant in a car seat, that's moot, since you will likely want a stroller that the car seat can attach to directly, and here the Bugaboo's design is actually an advantage because the right car seat will snap directly onto the bugaboo's frame without adjustment or modification.

I've had a Bugaboo for four years after going through at least six different strollers in the previous four years, and it's still going strong. Just make sure you get a compatible infant car seat.

Here's a mystery for the body: Why do Europeans, who don't have kids, nevertheless make all the best strollers?

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Westchester, at the "in" playgrounds, all you see are McLarens.

Originally Posted by grimslade
Bah. Bugaboos are still the It strollers, and for good reason. They are sturdy, well-designed and a pleasure to push. I've never been impressed with McLarens.

My baby is going to crawl out from his 13 yr-old hand-me-down Graco and beat the stuffing out of your little-Lord-Fauntleroys in their McLarens, Bugaboos or whatever.
devil.gif

Seriously, if your wife has friends or family, there's a stroller to be had for nothing -- it's not like the kid is going to notice!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by grimslade
Here's a mystery for the body: Why do Europeans, who don't have kids, nevertheless make all the best strollers?

I am sure there is a smart-ass reason, but right now I am not smart enough to think of it ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads