• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stroller (Beta version)

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Okay, I'm in the process of cobbling together a stroller. Here's the beta version, pre-alterations:

strollerbetaidesmarch07ju9.jpg

charcoal grey Zegna coat
vintage formal trousers
Polo b&w Glen plaid tie
generic white shirt that was handy

Arms are out so as not to distract with the unaltered sleeves (although arms out may be more distracting).

The coat is darker than it appears. The flash lightened it.

(Pardon the x-posted thread.)

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i thought a stroller was single breasted. with the appropriate vest.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still not really sure what a stroller is besides a gray jacket worn with formal pants.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your project is somewhat I was trying to recommend in the discussion of the Black Suit for the groomsmen in the wedding. I'd personally prefer different trousers - bolder patern - and a fancier shirt. But there are versions shown with simply solid grey trousers. Also, I've been searching for just the right tie. There is a RLPL black/white only glenn plaid that is in a very large scale and one in a large sheppards check that I have been hoping would show up on the bay. The DB jacket solves the problem of the proper fitting vest. Add the fancy pocket square and flower and you are off to the grand affair.

For the general purposes that most of us would encounter, such as the wedding in the hinterlands, or Easter for Church, it should work very well. For a meeting with HRH at Highgrove, maybe I would choose something different. I'd been giving it some more thought since the earlier wedding post I'd made. I was going to characterize my suggestion as a "colloquial" version of a stroller.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charley
I'd personally prefer different trousers - bolder patern - and a fancier shirt. But there are versions shown with simply solid grey trousers.

These trousers were once paired with full morning dress, so they are morning semi-formal appropriate. I want to get a pair of houndstooth or check trousers, too, though. I think they would work better for 'stealth' stroller wear.

Also, I've been searching for just the right tie. There is a RLPL black/white only glenn plaid that is in a very large scale and one in a large sheppards check that I have been hoping would show up on the bay.
Yes, I was eyeing the RLPL version, too, but I ran across this Polo version at the outlet, and it was marked down to $20. It's b&w only, woven, made in Italy--RL Polo rather than a diffusion line.

The DB jacket solves the problem of the proper fitting vest.
Exactly.

Add the fancy pocket square and flower and you are off to the grand affair.
What sort of 'fancy' pocket square is appropriate? The one pictured is white handrolled linen. The shirt was simply a white one I had on hand to illustrate the look. I'm planning on wearing a white herringbone french cuff shirt. Perhaps a shirt with a detachable collar will come later.

I was going to characterize my suggestion as a "colloquial" version of a stroller.
Probably a well stated description.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AlanC,

First I want you to understand that I was not "throwing off" on your effort by describing my thoughts on the "colloquial" version. No disparagement intended in anyway. So many times people get too wrapped up in what someone has told them is exactly perfect that they cannot see the advantages and acceptability of some differing features. The stroller seems to allow quite a bit of lattitude for mix and match.

I'm sure you recall the several pictures that Tutee has made available. The large one of the wedding party in the church and then the one illustrating morning dress at the races both offer great examples. There are so many combinations of patterns of trousers, shirts, ties that it can be good fun to try to get it all coordinated with the right scale of the patterns.

I personally like a pale blue shirt in possibly a end-on-end or birdseye with the white collar and cuffs. Another good choice, IMHO, would be a pale blue/white moderate width stripe with the white collar and cuffs. The gentleman in the picture is wearing a grey stripe shirt. And then, why not with pink, rather than blue? Pocket square in white with larger blue polka dots, maybe. Plain white is not a necessity, is it?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Charley, no offense was taken at all. I agree with you that from all the fine examples we have seen in recent weeks from period pictures, there was a wide latitude of variations on the stroller. So much so that while I believe one might construct an ideal version (perhaps the Knize picture?), it is still difficult to codify it completely. The stroller seems to have been a type of combination rather than one thing to itself.

As for shirts, I recall the Tutee showed a picture in one of his LL essays that pink was worn with morningwear, and that he explicitly endorsed it. However, due to the precedent of the attachable collar, it had seemed that the collar should be white even if the body of the shirt was not. But if we are going to modernize the stroller at all, a standard foldover collar seems like an almost necessary place to start. If the stroller is not dead already, that seems to me to be an evolution that can help ensure some form of continued life.

Thanks for the very useful suggestions.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
However, due to the precedent of the attachable collar, it had seemed that the collar should be white even if the body of the shirt was not. But if we are going to modernize the stroller at all, a standard foldover collar seems like an almost necessary place to start. If the stroller is not dead already, that seems to me to be an evolution that can help ensure some form of continued life.

I like that last statement. Allowing oneself to be inspired by the past and remaining firmly rooted in tradition should not prelude embracing the evolution necessary to keeping garments alive into the future.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AlanC,

I'm sorry that I was unclear. I was trying to suggest pink and white as alternatives to the blue and white. I've looked at the contrasting collar only (not cuffs). That is a pretty good option, IMHO.

Then look at all of the various vest options. Buff, cream, white, grey, wool, linen, double breasted, with lapels or none, and so on. The only real constants that I can see are that the jacket is in a black or near black charcoal (and possibly the only good use for the black jacket) in a sort of flat finish fabric with besom pockets and the trousers are in a black and white with several patterns acceptable. Perhaps the trousers and vest should be somewhat determined by the fun vs. sobriety of the occasion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads