• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Striped Trousers Revisited/New Challenge

Oliver

Reaction score
I have read many of the threads about pin/chalkstripe trousers and their innappropriateness as a tradly separate item of clothing. I know many suggest pulling it off in the BR sort of style, but I'm not personally big on that look.

However when I see a traditional rule, I see it as a challenge to break the rule while remaining traditional/appropriate. Because, let's face it, there are guiding principles and hard 'n' fast rules. With striped trousers, the principle is that it often looks like an orphaned piece from a suit. However one can ignore certain rules if one has enough gusto and a well-trained eye (for example, my traditional grandmother still thinks it's innappropriate to wear green and blue anywhere near each other....)

So this thread is to elicit ideas about how it might possibly be pulled off.

So here is my first idea for critiquing and tweaking.
A pair of fairly bold dark brown chalkstripe traditional trousers. High-waisted, fishtail back, worn with braces, styled like the pics below:

watchpockets1.jpg

2213-bwts4.jpg
2199-gc.jpg
2197-lb_w_ts.jpg

I'm imagining them with a solid textured sportcoat in a color complimentary to the stripe, and in a linen/silk/mohair material, perhaps like one of these below

4196-tan.jpg
2194-e.jpg
2194-win.jpg
4196-e.jpg

Paired with a crisp white point-collar broadcloth shirt, and a rich wine colored tie and pocket square, what do you think?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think striped trousers look better alone than striped sportcoats do. Those pants in your picture have a lot going on. I would wear them without suspenders, take off the outside suspender button, with a solid white, blue or pink shirt (or very tiny patterned) and some suede shoes or boots. I would not put any type of sportcoat over it. A solid coast will not look good when it is abrubtly broken up by the stripes of the pants. You might be able to get away with a very short Thom Browne type of jacket. A sweater would be more appropriate. If you wear the suspenders and tie, than I would suggest a nice vest to wear, maybe with a buttonaire but no sportsjacket.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd also suggest losing the suspenders. With them, it seems like a suit orphan.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
What/from where are those trousers? They are pretty awesome.
Thanks,

Dan

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
They are probably vintage, but I'm sure any tailor could make these for you.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I have a similarly styled pair of trousers like that from Dolce Gabanna, in a check pattern but flat fronted....and I agree that odd pinstripe trousers look much better than odd striped jackets. I went through a massive pinstripe trouser 'phase' about 10 years ago and would wear them all the time, even got pinstriped jeans
crazy.gif

I'm not too keen on matching the colors so closely tho...I preferred to find complimenting colors in the similar color value as the trouser color. If i did match, it would be the shirt to the pinstripe color, assuming the stripes were not white/ecru but a more interesting color.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Jason: Any of these trousers you'd be willing to get rid of...?
biggrin.gif

coachvu

Reaction score
Is it normal to have exterior braces buttons?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Not today. It's only common on trousers from the 1930s I believe. At some point they moved to the inside of the waistband for whatever reason.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Jason: Any of these trousers you'd be willing to get rid of...?
biggrin.gif

It'll all be in my will, along with the Thom Browne suit, to you
wink.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a nice cloth. I think you should stay away from jackets and wear sweaters and other knitwear with them. Like a nice slim cardigan for ex.

Buttons used to be on the outside because people always wore waistcoats to cover them.

Oliver

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input. The actual trousers in question are not mine, but a photo of a friend's 1930's english-traditional trousers. I'm having them made up by a tailor until I have them just right, and then will send them to Asia to be copied. The fishtail, and some of the cut style is being copied from a pair of DL Cerney high-waisted's, which are cut with an english drape (but I'm reducing the ankle taper in mine to make about a 21" cuff for my size 12 feet), and is a moderate fishtail that actually looks pretty good with a belt. I will post pictures when I have my trousers ready -- they will be in 95%worsted, 5% cashmere.

I may give up on the sportcoat idea and have a matching jacket made.... what do you guys think, belted? single breast peak lapel? (smack me if I'm using your wealth of information too freely...)

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
It'll all be in my will, along with the Thom Browne suit, to you
wink.gif

I truly win at the forums.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
That's a nice cloth. I think you should stay away from jackets and wear sweaters and other knitwear with them. Like a nice slim cardigan for ex.

Good advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads