Striped Tie with Striped Shirt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aleksandr, Mar 18, 2008.

1. organix71

organix71 Active Member

i think reading manton's post is a great start, and then just start trying on things you think might work. the theory is a great start but this will essentially be an empircal issue for you.

2. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Normally, I would agree, but in whodini's case, the colors and patterns are so similar that the tie actually looks like an extension of the shirt. While it is an unconventional look, I sort of like the look.
    To me, that almost makes the tie look non-existent, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a tie. Personally, I think that the tie should stand out - now, it can be sober and subtle, but it should stand out nevertheless. That picture just makes the tie fade into the background, which looks odd. To each his own, but I'd never wear something like that.

3. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

That is actually not a good example of of matching striped tie to shirt. General rules of pattern matching is to avoid similar sizes. So small stripe with big stripe, and complimentary colors, not matching colors.

+1. The whole "no stripes with stripes" thing is dead.

4. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Yes, they can, when done a certain way. In addition to the other references mentioned, Alan Flusser's Style and the Man has a good section about combining patterns.

5. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

[​IMG]

From a few days ago.

6. mt_spiffy

mt_spiffy Senior member

Those links are very interesting, I've never seen anything like that before. I didnt know there was a science. I put stuff together and look at it. If I like it, it works [​IMG]

Conflicting patterns is very popular right now. That includes striped shirt with a differently-striped tie, striped shirt with an alternative pattern tie, etc etc. Plenty of people stretch the boundaries, i.e. "match by not matching". I do it from time to time and it drives my female fashion consultant (girlfriend) mad, but I get plenty of compliments.

About 5 years ago I bought some shirt and tie sets, very bold stripes, very bold colors, with the shirt and ties each made of the exact same material. I havent worn them in recent years.

7. S. Ferguson Morse

S. Ferguson Morse New Member

Do you think that by having a striped tie in an unconventional tie fabric such as cashmere, one could great a nicely textured/eccentric look? i found some striped cashmere ties from a UK website : http://www.black.co.uk/Browse/ViewProductRange.cfm?I=15

Ask Andy About Clothes is an absolute, old-school font of knowledge.

8. mt_spiffy

mt_spiffy Senior member

The link isnt working.

9. S. Ferguson Morse

S. Ferguson Morse New Member

10. petitnoblesse

petitnoblesse Senior member

Awesome shirt, I like the pale colors with contrasting collar.

[​IMG]

From a few days ago.

11. sammywaslow

sammywaslow Member

Not a great photo but this navy suit had very fine red and green stripes and would always elicit favourable comments when teamed with the bold, striped Hilditch & Key shirt shown. The exception was from a girl in a bar who came up to me and said, "You know, you should never wear stripes with polka dots."
    If I was Oscar Wilde I would have immediately shot back something like, "Well, that statement says as much about you as it does me." If I was George Costanza I would have waited outside and blurted it out in her general direction as she was being carried out by her friends.
    [​IMG]

12. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

[​IMG]

From a few days ago.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about... I like striped suit, tie and shirt as well.[​IMG]

13. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Not a great photo but this navy suit had very fine red and green stripes and would always elicit favourable comments when teamed with the bold, striped Hilditch & Key shirt shown. The exception was from a girl in a bar who came up to me and said, "You know, you should never wear stripes with polka dots."
    If I was Oscar Wilde I would have immediately shot back something like, "Well, that statement says as much about you as it does me." If I was George Costanza I would have waited outside and blurted it out in her general direction as she was being carried out by her friends.

Sounds like she wanted to talk to you. Good thing you're neither of those chaps and hopefully you got along with her.

A woman at my office said she didnt like spots and stripes. Interesting because I dont know why that would be or where it comes from; must be a female fashion rule. I told her to get used to it because the only relief would be stripes on stripes.[​IMG]

14. mt_spiffy

mt_spiffy Senior member

Now I LIKE that combination!

Was the girl cute?

15. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

The exception was from a girl in a bar who came up to me and said, "You know, you should never wear stripes with polka dots."

She should have said "You know, unless you're Tim Robbins in a horrible 90s movie, you should never wear a 6x1 double-breasted suit."

whodini shows how pattern matching is done here...

[​IMG]

I'm sorry, but this looks as though "Whodini" is a new "Italian" menswear fashion line with distribution at the Burlington Coat Factory. The shirt and tie look like they were sold together with a pair of matching fabric cufflinks in a plastic bag.