• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Striped Shirt and Tie combo...please help

meditotal

Reaction score
So I recently acquired a striped shirt that I rather link and I was planning to wear it with my navy suit tomorrow. However, I'm having trouble figuring out what tie to wear so I don't look like a clown. Anyone feel like helping me out?

And if none of them work, please let me know so I can just give up and wear a regular white shirt.

Thanks!

hornfan_82

Reaction score
Im not really feeling any of them. If i had to choose, Id go with the dark red tie, or the blue and yellow on the far right.

See if you can find a non-striped tie in a similar color to the pink or blue lines on your shirt.

kohelet

Reaction score
My oh my... what a colourful shirt! Thank goodness you're wearing a navy suit to save this shirt. Although I hope your suit is not pinstripe! Because then that would be stripe overload. The red tie might work, do a full windsor, and wear your suit closed to hide the shirt -_-. If you plan on taking off your blazer then go for the Yellow on the far right. Wide stripe on the tie, wont clash so badly with your shirt selection. But most importantly, it isnt always about sartorial elegance. Confidence beats any "visual flaw" For instance Gabriel Aubry, could make your striped shirt, yellow tie, and navy suit look like an ad in any fashion magazine. So whatever you choose just rock it dude!

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally, avoid mixing patterns that are of the same calibre. Therefore, from the ties you've provided I would pick only the red one. The others' pattern is too close in proportion to the stripes on the shirt.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think any of the ties looks good with that shirt. The red one is the least bad, but there's quite a jarring contrast between the sobriety of the tie and the festiveness of the shirt.

CitizenM

Reaction score
get a solid navy tie. Works for most outfits.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.