• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Striped bespoke odd jacket, would you or wouldn't you?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yesterday my tailor called me saying he had found the perfect fabric for me. I was originally taken by a Brioni suit in brown cashmere with a purple pinstripe through it and had been considering something similar. Knowing this, when my tailor received the new Loro Piana books and flipped through them, he found what he thought would be the perfect fabric for my next commission. It's a 10.5oz brown wool & cashmere with a light blue broken stripe through it out of the LP Propsta book (#12100). It's got a bit of a flannel like texture but it isn't really. The stripes are about .5cm apart.

Do you think it's a good or bad decision to do it as an odd jacket? I'll admit to having a bit of a mental block when it comes pinstriped jackets on their own, but then I don't think there is a huge danger in this jacket looking like an orphaned suit jacket.

Now if you have unlimited money it's a no-brainer to do the pants as well, but that will add a thousand bucks to the price and I really don't wear a full suit very often (ever really). I put down a deposit for my tailor to order enough fabric for a jacket, but am wavering on whether or not it was a mistake not to order pants as well.

My thinking is that I'll just have it made in such a fashion that it appears more casual. So I'll perhaps do hacking pockets, use a lighter canvas, very lightly padded shoulders, etc.

Any thoughts or opinions? Particularly from those that have seen the book and know the fabric?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't seen the new LP books so I cannot comment about the look of the cloth. If you get the trouser could you wear it as an odd trouser with a shirt or sweater? I would order enough cloth for jacket and trouser but save the trouser cloth. You can have them made at any time or you could sell the cloth. If you wait and decide you want the trouser, you risk the cloth being sold out or being cut from a different piece where the color may be off.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I'll admit to having a bit of a mental block when it comes pinstriped jackets on their own

That's understandable as I share your affliction.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I question my decision, which was particularly hasty because the prices are going up this week and I wanted to lock-in the existing ones.

I think this is a clear case of lusting over a fabric and forgetting the plan, which was to add more sports jackets to my wardrobe and not suits. I think I'm going to go back and look at fabrics again. The fact that I'm so uneasy with my decision tells me it wasn't the best decision I could have made. The fabric was so beautiful that I think I was trying to make it in to something I wanted (a jacket) when it wasn't really meant to be. I'm guilty of the same thing with girls :p

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Oddly, most patterned odd jackets (minus tweed herringbone or heather) I see look they're missing their trousers, whereas it looks fine to me to just have the trousers. It might be due to historical precedence (sp?), where having morning striped trousers with a black coat was perfectly acceptable for daily wear.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Oddly, most patterned odd jackets (minus tweed herringbone or heather) I see look they're missing their trousers, whereas it looks fine to me to just have the trousers. It might be due to historical precedence (sp?), where having morning striped trousers with a black coat was perfectly acceptable for daily wear.
I don't know about that. Tons of odd jackets look great in windowpane or check.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Have you ever seen stripes that you like on an odd jacket? What about you Chris?

The reasons why I thought I might be able to get away with it for this particular fabric was that:

1) stripes are narrow and broken as opposed to perfectly straight continuous lines.

2) it's kind of like a worsted flannel but with less "surface fuzz" than usual and the stripe is more defined than you see on many flannels.

3) the brown has a richness to it that's hard to describe. There are variations in the coloring that make it really beautiful.

I'd love to see more opinions.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, I once saw a beautiful herringbone jacket with stripes. However, I think that a striped sportjacket is really a novelty piece and one that I would not buy unless I had no need for anything else.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I once saw a beautiful herringbone jacket with stripes. However, I think that a striped sportjacket is really a novelty piece and one that I would not buy unless I had no need for anything else.

I essentially agree with you, and that's why I'm so hesistant all of a sudden. I think the lust is wearing off and I'm starting to think practically again.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may be better off to post the picture of the fabric to get better feedback from the members. From your description, I imagine the pattern be little too busy at 0.5cm gap?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of them I guess.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that stripes then to look more like an orphaned jacket even with patch pockets. I think it maybe trendy now to wear it with jeans, but I don't expect that trend to last.

I have a similar problem where I don't have the opportunity to wear suits. The last time I wore a suit to work, I was asked if I were interviewing for a new job. I can get away with sportjackets more often.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last time I wore a suit to work, I was asked if I were interviewing for a new job
laugh.gif

I would take another look at the material samples and choose another fabric. There must be some other choice that you would feel more comfortable with and enthusiastic about at the same time.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd only wear a striped odd jacket if it were part of a stroller...but then it wouldn't technically be an odd jacket, I guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics