Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Stripe terminology

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

So there is the pinstripe and the chalkstripe. What other terms are there for stripes of different thickness and pattern? I hate saying something like "2mm-thick dotted stripes."

2. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

Well, in shirts and ties, there is the term repp stripe. Not sure what that means.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

"Repp" refers to the weave of the silk rather than to the design. Striped ties are usually on repp silk.

4. dusty

dusty Senior member

I've seen some awning stripe jackets (but mostly shirts). In shirts there are barber, awning, track, variegated, etc., but I'm not really sure what most of them mean.

5. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

There are also (for suits) the beaded stripe and the lace stripe, although I'd have to brush up on the definitions again. I _think_ the beaded stripe is like an elongated pinstripe and the lace stripe is two pinstripes or beaded stripes next to each other.

Shirts may have a shadowstripe; Richard James did them now and then -- thin stripes next to each other in varying shades of the same color (or gradually changing to a different color).

6. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I submit the 'beach-stripe': 2+ inch thick alternating colored stripes like you would find on a beach towel. My bath towels have 3" blue/white beach stripes.

7. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Shirts: Pin stripe: A 1 or 2 yarn-width (about 1/32") stripe, usually between 1/16" and 3/16" apart. Dress Stripe A usually equal, regularly-spaced stripe of approximately 1/16" in width and 1/16" apart. Candy Stripe: An equal, regularly-spaced stripe of approximately 1/8" in width and 1/8" apart. Bengal Stripe: A usually equal, regularly-spaced stripe of approximately 1/4" in width and 1/4" apart. Awning Stripe: A sometimes equal but often not, regularly-spaced stripe of 1/2"-1" in width and 1/2"-1" apart. Fun Stripe: A combination of a number of the above stripes, usually in multiple colors, which repeats regularly. Tattersall Stripe Any of the above stripes where two stripe colors are equally interspersed. Rarely, if ever, seen larger than Bengal. Vario-Stripe: A set of repeating 'stripe sets', within which sets sripes range in ever increasing width, usually beginning with a Pin Stripe and getting as large as a Candy Stripe. Ugly Stripe: An Awning Stripe wider than 1" on a man shorter than 7'2". Here are a few examples: [​IMG]

8. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

I would like to add the "Regis Philbin" stripe, where the stripes are the same color as the rest of the shirt (and tie), creating the monocromatic look. To the untrained eye, it looks solid. And then there are the following: 1. The American Jackass stripe, currently popular in multi-color diagonal stripes, with the shirt worn untucked. 2. The Pimp My Ride stripe, also known as the Prison Stripe, for constructive multi-tasking. 3. The Gordon Gekko or horizontal stripe, where rumor has it Michael Jackson has been heard to say "these horizontal stripes even make me look heavy" [​IMG]

9. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

What about the pencil stripe?

Panzer

10. demeis

demeis Senior member

Is that the same as the ministripe? Thin stripes close together?

11. Alexander Kabbaz

Jackson's only reason for not liking the Gordon Gekko shirts is the distinct possibility that he may be spending considerable time wearing them over the next decade.

Also referred to as the "Dress Stripe". See above.

12. thinman

thinman Senior member

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

"Ground stripe" is a contradiction in terms, I think. "Ground" means the base or predominant color in any pattern. Hence that PF shirt has a French blue ground with a white stripe. I suppose they mean that, since white is by far the most common ground color, that shirt's stripe is the "ground." Not really, though.

14. Alexander Kabbaz

That's the thing the construction foreman spray paints on the asphalt just before the main crew comes in, digs up your street for three weeks, and leaves you for the next year with potholes you can park a bus in.

Oh. That's also about as much as it has to do with shirts ... unless the marketing department has used up all of their adjectives for the year.