• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretching JM Weston loafers -- HELP

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
I have a pair of JM Weston Signature 180 loafers which are just a bit too tight in the toe box. My foot expands and contracts naturally, depending on day of the week/activity, etc. On days when my foot is smallest, the shoes are not comfortable, and on days when my days are a bit larger, the shoes are nearly unwearable.

Can I stretch these shoes (lengthwise and widthwise in the toe box)? Will stretching the toe box ruin them because of the stitched apron? I want to be sure that the toe box stretching won't just split apart the stitched apron.

Do these stretch much after wearing them a bit? I've had these for several months, but I just haven't been able to wear them enough (because they're so uncomfortable) to break them in fully.

While the toe box is tight in width and almost feels short, the area around my instep and heel is nearly too wide, and my heel slips a bit.

Ouch just thinking about wearing these beauties.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A cobbler can try to stretch them, but it sounds as though it won't be enough to be comfortable.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You really can't stretch shoes in length. Some stretchers are supposed to increase the length, but all they do, is to push the heel out.

It sounds to me the shoes are too short and also too wide. That your toes get squeezed, has something to do with the length. Think, if the shoes were longer, the toes would be further out, so the narrow part would be equally further out. (The toe section is shaped like a funnel.)

It sounds to me, the shoes are at least half a size too short and one width too wide.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Hmm-- I think you might be right, and that's no good!
Is there any way to salvage the fit? Resale value on these on the sales forum (given that they've been worn 5-10 times, albeit for short periods of time) is going to be a fraction of what I paid...and I really do love the shoes.

aquarius

Reaction score
Hello Johnny,
I might be interested in buying your Weston loafers, being a great fan of them !
Could you let me see some pictures of them, and provide any further details ?
My e-mail is [email protected]
Best wishes,
Brian.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Hmm-- I think you might be right, and that's no good!
Is there any way to salvage the fit? Resale value on these on the sales forum (given that they've been worn 5-10 times, albeit for short periods of time) is going to be a fraction of what I paid...and I really do love the shoes.

I'd try buying a pair of "professional" shoe stretchers and then liberally applying leather conditioner to the area you're stretching. Leave the stretchers in for a few weeks and reapply the conditioner every few days and I would think you'd be fine.

mikeber

Reaction score
How did the shoes feel when you first tried them on? Did they seem comfortable then and only later you found that its not the case?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads