1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Stretching Allen Edmonds shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by texas9, Feb 4, 2016.

1. texas9

texas9 Member

Did a forum search but couldn't find anything on stretching AE shoes.

Background: I got fitted at two different Allen Edmonds stores, and both stores suggested I get 11D in the 65 last. I purchased Strand and McGregor seconds online and have been wearing each of them twice a week, for the past four weeks. Initially the 11D size fit fine at the store (Tried on Strands/Park Avenues), but the shoes I bought turned out to be a bit tight in the toe box, and the area around my pinky toe gets slightly red after a day's wear. I even tried on 11E at the stores, but it was too wide, especially at the heel. Now the Strand/McGregor are on the 65 last, which is narrow - my feet probably aren't compatible for this last. I can't return the shoes now, and I don't want to sell them, since I really like their slick design.

I am hoping to get them stretched *just a little* so my toes have a bit more wiggle room. I know Allen Edmonds suggests not to stretch shoes to avoid irreversible damage. Should I just take the gamble and have a good cobbler stretch them? What about DIY methods like 1) putting a bag of water and freezing them, 2) using a shoe stretcher, or 3) spraying a rubbing alcohol/water mix?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. texas9

texas9 Member

bump for morning crowd

3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Welcome to the forum, Tex. Have you tried asking in the AE Appreciation Thread? Either there or the Shoe Care thread would be a good spot.