• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretching a certain area of shoe

wheelsx45

Reaction score
I have a foot condition( foot Contractures) which makes many shoes almost unwearable leaving it very hard to find a shoe I can wear pain free. Would it be possible to stretch the shoe as shown in the picture? It is that one particular area that needs stretching because my feet turn inwards which pushes the sides of my feet into the very sharp area on the shoe opening. I am in a wheelchair so I dont do any walking and do not care if my shoes lose the original form and look awkward. I just want to prevent the intense rubbing on the outer sides of the feet. How can I do this? Could getting a larger width shoe be a option? I usually wear between a 5.0D - 6.0D

shoestretch.jpg

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why dont you just wear a larger shoe? if you dont walk and you put in an insole or something they should stay on just fine

wheelsx45

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
why dont you just wear a larger shoe? if you dont walk and you put in an insole or something they should stay on just fine

I may end up having to just do that but even a size 6.0 for me is pretty long, I'm afraid of going up to much, do not want the shoe to look out of place with my body.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would think heel-lifts might be better than a stretch. They'll lift your heels out of the shoes and so help with the rubbing. I assume it's rubbing on bottoms of your ankle bones? Larger shoes may actually make that worse because they'll be deeper.

wheelsx45

Reaction score
The problem area where the intense rubbing is is close to the foot opening on the shoe which is sharp. The picture shoes where on the foot is the problem area. (not my foot)
footoutside.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wheelsx45
The problem area where the intense rubbing is is close to the foot opening on the shoe which is sharp. The picture shoes where on the foot is the problem area.

(not my foot)
footoutside.jpg

Take the shoes to a shoe repair place - they will apply a solution to the leather that will make them more elastic, then they will stretch the shoe. After the solution evaporates, the leather will then return to it's original qualities.

If you have a contracture, like it rolling inward in the same direction as a person spraining their ankle, then you are at risk for other pressure points, no? Are you neuropathic (loss of sensation)?

wheelsx45

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Take the shoes to a shoe repair place - they will apply a solution to the leather that will make them more elastic, then they will stretch the shoe. After the solution evaporates, the leather will then return to it's original qualities.

If you have a contracture, like it rolling inward in the same direction as a person spraining their ankle, then you are at risk for other pressure points, no? Are you neuropathic (loss of sensation)?

Yeah, my feet roll inwards leaving the sides to rubbing and pressure sores if it rubs long enough, I do have sensation.

Would getting a WIDER size help or is that different?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
take a pair of pliers (maybe blunt pliers, if they are going to be piercing the leather place something in between it and the leather to cushion it) and start yanking out that outer part of the throat out until it reaches the blue line.

ive had an issue with one of my pairs of shoes where the back heel portion kept digging straight into my achilles tendon and it would make it bleed after the end of the day.

i took a pair of pliers and started forceably pulling that back heel portion continuously for a couple of days and now it is very malleable and set out.

dont size up, then that would just cause more issues of fit , not even guaranteeing you would resolve the first issue in the first place.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listen to HORNS. All others are amateurs.

Good luck.

Cedarville Store

Reaction score
Tight shoes?

Cedarville Store now offers a great selection of SHOE STRETCHERS. Stretch the width, length, vamp and toe area of any leather shoe - for men and women.

Use the coupon code styleforum at checkout and save 10% off your complete order - including cedar shoe trees, cedar hangers, closet accessories and shoe care.

We also have the Shoe Stretch Spray that the shoe repairs use.

Have a great day!

Best regards,
www.CedarvilleStore.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics