• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretched/mangled ties

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many of my ties, even ones I've only tied a few times, have become mangled and when held at the midpoint don't seem to hang flat, they appear mangled and twisted one way or the other. Admittedly I sometimes take them off in a hurry and could be guilty of causing this, but even with new ties that I purposely undue very carefully I still find it's a little mangled.

Anyone have any idea of this is normal or how to fix it if not? I've tried flattening them out by pressing on them lightly, I'm not brave enough to take an iron to them yet. All of them are stored in a draw rolled very carefully and never worn more than once a week.

Ideas?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Got pics? "Mangled" is hard to picture, because I could imagine any number of ways that could describe a tie -- some of those ways more dramatic than others.

My off the cuff guess is that maybe you're knotting them too tightly?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happens. Let the tie lie flat and relax. Then lie flat and relax.

GucciKid

Reaction score
Could be that you are rolling them too tight. I suggest not rolling them very tight or hanging.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I throw them out and get new ones.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Buy better quality ties.

Seriously.

Happen all the times to high quality RTW ties out there, including (from my experience) Drakes, RLPL and Hermes.

Originally Posted by LVoer
Many of my ties, even ones I've only tied a few times, have become mangled and when held at the midpoint don't seem to hang flat, they appear mangled and twisted one way or the other. Admittedly I sometimes take them off in a hurry and could be guilty of causing this, but even with new ties that I purposely undue very carefully I still find it's a little mangled.

Anyone have any idea of this is normal or how to fix it if not? I've tried flattening them out by pressing on them lightly, I'm not brave enough to take an iron to them yet. All of them are stored in a draw rolled very carefully and never worn more than once a week.

Ideas?

Hang them instead. If your ties have the self-adjusting thread in the back (eg. in Hermes tie), carefully adjust (mainly loosen) this thread may solve the problem.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Many of my ties, even ones I've only tied a few times, have become mangled and when held at the midpoint don't seem to hang flat, they appear mangled and twisted one way or the other. Admittedly I sometimes take them off in a hurry and could be guilty of causing this, but even with new ties that I purposely undue very carefully I still find it's a little mangled. Anyone have any idea of this is normal or how to fix it if not? I've tried flattening them out by pressing on them lightly, I'm not brave enough to take an iron to them yet. All of them are stored in a draw rolled very carefully and never worn more than once a week. Ideas?
As already posted we need close-up photos to understand what you are talking about. In the absence of your photos we need to speak generally: If you take off a tie carefully it can have wrinkles especially if it is hot and humid out or the silk is thin, or if the tie does not have a wool interlining and you tie a tight knot. First, the answer is to hang the tie up and in a few days it should be OK. Next, if the problem is still there you can hang the tie in a bathroom while taking a hot shower. Finally, (In extreme situations only as this can be dangerous) a gentle ironing on the reverse of the tie being careful to not iron the edges - so you do not ruin the roll. Do not try to adjust the slip stitch or any part of the tie that is sewn together as it is quite possible that you will ruin your tie. Do not roll your tie - always hang your tie. I understand that many men have rolled their ties for years and prefer this method but with a luxury tie you are asking for a problem with the tip of your ties. Note a well made tie will typically have a pure wool interlining which helps avoiding problems in the first place and assists with recovery if you have a problem.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, folks. I'll try hanging them instead. I used to hang all my ties but then I switched to rolling on the advice of some SF posts I read.

David, I'll be sure to relay your advice to groomsmen who are getting the wedding ties I just ordered from you. I'm anxiously awaiting them.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I untie the knot rather than pull the small end back through when taking a tie off. Seems to work soo far and I like my ties knotted tightly....Almost S&M tight.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
I heard the same advice here to roll instead of hang my ties. So I switched to a loose roll. So what is it, hang or roll? From this board I read hanging can cause wrinkles or something to that line.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Mystery
I heard the same advice here to roll instead of hang my ties. So I switched to a loose roll. So what is it, hang or roll? From this board I read hanging can cause wrinkles or something to that line.

I just lay them flat, none have self destructed.....yet.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Mystery

If you roll your ties you can damage the tips. Do many gentlemen happily roll their ties with little or no damage - yes - but it is not a best practice.

We make and mail ties daily - we would never in a million years roll a tie. We work to hard to make our ties and do not want to see any damage.

Laying a tie flat will not hurt but you loose the benefits of gravity to take care of any wrinkles.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are only experiencing wrinkles where the knot is made (especially if making a dimple), then it's probably not worth bothering about, as that part of the tie will eiher be under your collar or in the knot again the next time you tie it (and you won't see it).

Such is my experience with a couple of ties I have (quality ones mind) that wrinkle consistently in this area. At first I was worried but there's not much you can do except hang it and let gravity do its work.

Using Technology

Reaction score
Guess this is as good a place as any to ask this:

I have an hermes tie I got at a yard sale for a dollar (ie this isn't a big deal if I can't fix) that I just noticed seems to have been ironed wrong or in some otherway bent so that the triangle tip is lopsided---one side is longer than the other. Can I get a drycleaner or someone to iron it back correctly or is it a lost cause?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads