Stretch marks near buttons on a waistcoat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ericcartman, Sep 29, 2012.

1. ericcartman

ericcartman Member

Does anyone know whether the horizontal creases at the buttons on some waistcoats are caused by having a garment with a floating canvas? I think I have mostly observed these on expensive suits. This is probably an eccentric preference, but I really like those creases. Maybe because, especially on a taller person, any horizontal line breaks up the length of the overall figure. Which is probably why I also like tie-clips. I haven't been able to find a photograph to illustrate this, in case it is not clear, but I will try to add one later.

2. bloke11

bloke11 Well-Known Member

That is most ridiculous. Obviously the answer is no.

3. ericcartman

ericcartman Member

The nice thing about Simon Crompton, is that he not only very stylish but also extremely polite. To have one without the other seems odd.

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

A waistcoat is not constructed with a canvas interfacing. There might be a a narrow strip of a light cotton fabric sewn-in to stabilize the front-edge and the buttonholes, but that;s about all.

Those creases you describe sound to me more like a waistcoat that is too tight; maybe the owner has put on weight. :D

5. ericcartman

ericcartman Member

I see. Thank you very much.