• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretch in jeans

rasmusDoh

Reaction score
I have these April 77 jeans that fit me really really well. They are 98% cotton, 2% elesthane. My question is:

Do Elesthane, spandex and lycra all stretch an equal amount?

And how much more will a pair of jeans stretch givin the amount of, say, elestane is increased by 1%?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rasmusDoh
I have these April 77 jeans that fit me really really well. They are 98% cotton, 2% elesthane. My question is:

Do Elesthane, spandex and lycra all stretch an equal amount?

And how much more will a pair of jeans stretch givin the amount of, say, elestane is increased by 1%?

I think the difference between elastane, spandex, lycra, and polyurethane is negilible. Increasing the amount of elastane or lycra will increase the stretch, but I'm not sure it can be quantified by a percentage. Suffice it to say, they will stretch more. Some women's jeans have as much as 10% lycra, and they stretch ALOT.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that jeans with some minute percentage of these stretchy materials are built to stretch while being worn, but allow them to bounce back to their original shape when not being worn. With stretch denim, you avoid the "OMG my APCs are now 4 sizes too big" problem... at least that's what I've gathered.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
My understanding is that jeans with some minute percentage of these stretchy materials are built to stretch while being worn, but allow them to bounce back to their original shape when not being worn. With stretch denim, you avoid the "OMG my APCs are now 4 sizes too big" problem... at least that's what I've gathered.

I'd say, conceptually, that's about right, but stretch jeans do stretch out, at least a bit. My 7FAM bootcuts are about 1" bigger in the waist then when I bought them. Then again, that was five years ago.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I'd say, conceptually, that's about right, but stretch jeans do stretch out, at least a bit. My 7FAM bootcuts are about 1" bigger in the waist then when I bought them. Then again, that was five years ago.

7FAM has really let itself go and started packing on pounds in the time since its peak.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
7FAM has really let itself go and started packing on pounds in the time since its peak.

We'll see. I bought a pair of Floyds in Mercer from ADASA that I'll get by the time I'm back in CA. Hopefully they are cool! I saw some pretty neat 7FAMs at Nordstrom Rack, but they were about $100 which was a bit more than I wanted to pay for 7s. They were very understated and had low-contrast back-pocket stitching, and looked pretty nice. I really like the fit/feel of their stretch denim.

bapelolol

Reaction score
do they also shrink in the wash? i picked up some raw h&m's with 2% stretch in them and a tag says "expect shrinkage up to 5%"

Mrs. Savage

Reaction score
Usually when I purchase jeans with stretch in them I go down a size. I have found that my non-stretch jeans have actually stretched out much more than any of my jeans with lycra or elastine it them. I believe the stretch makes it more comfortable while wearing without having to break them in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads