• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strengths and Weaknesses!

Cool_Hand_Payt

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My name's Pat, and I'm pretty sure it's a miracle that I stumbled upon this board. I'm a college student who's been really into fashion lately. I'm going to seriously upgrade my wardrobe in the next couple of weeks. I live in Boston, MA, so I have a really solid group of stores to shop at. Now, I know a little bit about many of the designer brands... but not nearly as much as any of you. So, I'm going to list some of the ones I do know (please, feel free to add more!), and I'd love for you to give the designers biggest strength and their biggest weakness. It'd be so helpful to me, and to a lot of newbies like myself!

Armani
Brooks Brothers
Burberry
Calvin Klein
Diesel
Dior Homme
Dolce&Gabbana
Ed Hardy
Gucci
Hugo Boss
J. Crew
Lacoste
Marc Jacobs
Ralph Lauren
Paul Smith
Prada
Tom Ford
Versace

Obviously, I'm missing a ton of brands... so feel free to mention some biggies that should be added, and I'll edit them in ASAP. You don't even need to comment on all of them! If you'd like, just pick a few. But any feedback here would be amazing.

This should be fun!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see you joining the forum.

LOL - you ask a huge job from us to go through lists and mention strengths and weaknesses
laugh.gif
. Stay around the forum for a while, read through posts, it will be relatively straightforward to get the general consesus on most of these brands (mainly in regard to suits, dress shoes, or shirts).

Cool_Hand_Payt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Good to see you joining the forum.

LOL - you ask a huge job from us to go through lists and mention strengths and weaknesses
laugh.gif
. Stay around the forum for a while, read through posts, it will be relatively straightforward to get the general consesus on most of these brands (mainly in regard to suits, dress shoes, or shirts).

I know, I know! But it could be like a big team effort.. If people just want to comment on the ones they want to, it could be really helpful for people like me!

But yeah, I understand the apprehension. It was an ambitious idea.

Gwarg

Reaction score
A lot of the designers you mentioned are not thought of highly here. Read around and you'll see.

LanceW

Reaction score
I would suggest changing your time frame from a couple of weeks to a couple of years. Quality items take considerable time to have made or to luck into finding. And most of those listed above is overpriced junk.

Stick around and learn for a while. Anything you buy now you will be disappointed with in 6 months.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom Ford

Pro-fashion forward
Con-really really expensive.

Versace

Pro-Ties used to be good
Con-Everything

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
I would suggest changing your time frame from a couple of weeks to a couple of years. Quality items take considerable time to have made or to luck into finding. And most of those listed above is overpriced junk.

Stick around and learn for a while. Anything you buy now you will be disappointed with in 6 months.

Amen ....
teacha.gif

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads