• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Streetwear Vs Sportswear

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Since a lot of streetwear pieces are inspired by sportswear pieces but taken out of the original context how do you distinguish between the two?

Let's say I wear an adidas track jacket is it sportswear?
How about a reedition of an old classic clearly made for collectors or retro fans?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When a lot of the guys on this forum talk about sportswear, they are talking about casualwear. Just different terms. Polos, cotton pants, casual sweaters, button-down casual shirts, etc. could all be called sportswear. Don't ask me why.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Streetwear - what people who feel most comfortable south of Canal (or the 14th) and north of the 80's wear on the streets.

Sportswear - what you wear if you are shopping on Madison Ave or live in an apartment on Park South. Liable to betrau you as a easy mark. If you own a summer house in the Hamptons, you are probably wearing sportswear.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Streetwear - what people who feel most comfortable south of Canal (or the 14th) and north of the 80's wear on the streets.

Sportswear - what you wear if you are shopping on Madison Ave or live in an apartment on Park South.  Liable to betrau you as a easy mark.  If you own a summer house in the Hamptons, you are probably wearing sportswear.
LA Guy,

Are you orginally from the city? Ya sure have ur street creds....

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Grew up in small town Ontario, Canada. Then lived in LA (thus the moniker). But love NYC, visit a lot and have plenty of friends there. Plus, was nearly mistaken for a mugger once (longish story, but I feel sorry for the poor dude - about 50 years old, looked like he was from Iowa, and about to sh*t his pants), so I have had my share of experiences there.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Nope. Grew up in small town Ontario, Canada. Then lived in LA (thus the moniker). But love NYC, visit a lot and have plenty of friends there. Plus, was nearly mistaken for a mugger once (longish story, but I feel sorry for the poor dude - about 50 years old, looked like he was from Iowa, and about to sh*t his pants), so I have had my share of experiences there.
If only he knew how much those Puma My's retail for, he wouldn't be shittin a thing.
biggrin.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If only he knew how much those Puma My's retail for, he wouldn't be shittin a thing.

Fair enough. He'd have taken a backhoe to my frivolous ass. I think that I was wearing reasonable baggy jeans, Airforce Ones, and a black hoodie over an army jacket at the time though. Chinese gangsta?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Fair enough. He'd have taken a backhoe to my frivolous ass. I think that I was wearing reasonable baggy jeans, Airforce Ones, and a black hoodie over an army jacket at the time though. Chinese gangsta?
Chinese gangsta with a complex, maybe. Kidding. I feel like I frighten people sometimes when I dress more "street" (no Habenero[sic] shirts, though). I feel especially bad when I'm going to the gym or something and there just happens to be a girl walking from the same parking lot to the gym. j posted something from craigs list awhile ago that illustrated a story on that topic.

stache

Reaction score
Streetwear is anything that you would feel comfortable wearing to a brawl.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(LA Guy @ April 20 2005,08:27) An ascot and a sword cane then?
And monogrammed Louis Vuitton brass knuckles.
That,that would be funny. Every punch you land you'd be branding some guy "LV LV LV LV"

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
streetwear is something that smells like asphalt in the sun

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
streetwear is something that smells like asphalt in the sun
Huh? Â Have you been off your meds again? Â Either that, or I really, really want some of what you've been smoking recently.
You don't want to smoke caulk fumes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads