• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Streetwear for the Stodgy Crowd: Confess Here

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's a thread on the Steetwear forum that brings into question age-appropriate 'streetwear' and what the more classically-inclined members of this forum wear casually. So, I thought it would be interesting to survey what everyone wears when they don't want to exert much effort or are in a more casual setting (say, going to class or the mall, getting groceries, attending 'street-occasions', etc.). Do you express your inner fashion-fiend, or do you climb into your sweats?

I'll be the first to admit that I don't bother putting on my tailored clothing most of the time since my daily activities largely consist of classes and running random errands. I do, however, try to put myself together. Most of my casual clothes are renditions of classic things. I veer toward lots of earthy colors and neutrals.

Here's two photos of me that are pretty representative of how I roll when I hear the call of the street:

Barbour Bedale, Brooks Brothers OCBD, R by 45rpm jeans, Jay Kos crocodile belt, John Lobb Vintage 2004s.
mafooonthestreet.jpg

The same as above, but with a Baracuta G9 and white low-top Chucks instead.
mafooonthestreet2.jpg

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The infamous Kos custom belt?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
The infamous Kos custom belt?

No, it's the first belt I liked so much I wanted a second one that would fit me better. It is a fantastic belt. I think I've found another source for it: I'll know on Monday when I go to NYC.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
/shrug I don't think I do a separate "streetwear" look as such. At least I don't think of it as that.

The spectrum for me is:

suits (work and nice nights out) - odd jacket/trouser (casual days at work and casual evenings out) - odd jacket/jeans & casual coat/jeans (both for random errands around town or whatever). The latter category is usually paired with an open-neck shirt +/- sweater depending on weather.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
This is how I do street:
fall2.jpg

(I'm only going to leave this pic up for a few minutes as I feel like a real jerk as I don't know this guy and he is probably a nice dude but this pic is so over the top.
)

Well, now you are screwed. Aren't you?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
This is how I do street:
fall2.jpg

(I'm only going to leave this pic up for a few minutes as I feel like a real jerk as I don't know this guy and he is probably a nice dude but this pic is so over the top.
)

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I wish I could see that pic...

BTW I doubt someone who knows about 45RPM can be entirely clueless about jeans, they don't get a lot of media exposure...If these are Jomons and the colour of the shoes is appropriately reflected in the picturer I do blieve both pieces compliment each other nicely.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
BTW I doubt someone who knows about 45RPM can be entirely clueless about jeans, they don't get a lot of media exposure...If these are Jomons and the colour of the shoes is appropriately reflected in the picturer I do blieve both pieces compliment each other nicely.

I bought the 45RPMs because they were highly recommended on the Streetwear forum and I needed a new pair immediately. Case in point, I have no idea if they're Jomons.

The colors are pretty accurate--at least on my screen. I like wearing dress shoes with my jeans. I know others hate that.

Originally Posted by Parker
White Chucks or Purcells are my "casual" shoe. I suit up either for important meetings or just for the hell of it.

I like it when my white Chucks have developed a slightly yellowed hue, but haven't darkened significantly or gathered big stains. They're too white when new, and disgusting when they get too old. Washing them just seems to whiten the shoe while leaving serious stains in place, which are then in higher contrast.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've posted photos of what I wear everyday, and it's usually something not very "casual." I also have a pair of sea-turtle skin cowboy boots I wear for regular situations.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I also have a pair of sea-turtle skin cowboy boots I wear for regular situations.

Does sea turtle hide make a better cowboy boot, or do you just take glee in killing sea turtles?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Does sea turtle hide make a better cowboy boot, or do you just take glee in killing sea turtles?
It's purely an esthetic choice, and it's also quite a durable skin.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It's purely an esthetic choice, and it's also quite a durable skin.

Love to see photos of those cowboy boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads