• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Streetwear for the portly

Illuminatus

Reaction score
Well, maybe not portly. It's more that I have a couple spare inches around the waist.
6'4", roughly 245lbs. I've lost about 50 pounds this year, and I'm not done yet. However, I'm in the position where I need an inexpensive new wardrobe (primarily because when one loses that much weight, there's a shocking moment when you realize that your old, 44W jeans no longer fit). I'd rather not spend a lot of money, as I'm a student (and as such, budget-challenged), and I'm likely going to lose another 20 pounds in the next six months or so. So, I have a couple of requests: what sort of generalized dressing tips can you give me that'll help me reduce the appearance of my extra weight? And, if you had $500 to buy enough clothes for, say, at least three or four outfits, (preferably ones that could also be worn/cannibalized to go out at night), what sort of things would you aim for? I find that thrift stores don't often offer much for me, as I'm a 48L.

Cheers,
Tyler

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went shopping for you at the Gap:
gp511898-00p01v01.jpg
gp508137-00p01v01.jpg
gp523327-00p01v01.jpg
gp494202-01p01v01.jpg
gp472856-00p01v01.jpg
gp472855-00p01v01.jpg
gp528449-00p01v01.jpg
and
Lee Gold 101B
binary-1.jpg
binary.jpg

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Im close to 6´4 and usually sweaters and outerwear is long enough in an XL. If I want something longer, tall sizes are usually the way to go. Since the threadmaker is quite a bit heavier than me, Id say that an XL shirt from say Gap or Hm should fit fine.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
berlin: no offesne but those clothes ******* suck anyway

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
berlin: no offesne but those clothes ******* suck anyway
No offense taken. You can't make everyone happy. I made those choices according to his needs and budget and I wanted to avoid H&M. They're basic pieces which would look decent on nearly everyone and reasonably-priced enough that it wouldn't hurt if he can't wear them next year anymore due to his changing body shape. I wasn't going for something spectacular.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd also try J. Crew. The stuff is reasonably priced, for the most part, and you should be able to get some decent things, and still come under $500. I think that you'll be hard pressed to include outerwear and footwear though. Maybe Spiewak will do.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'4" as well and an XL in GAP is long enough, but tends to be cut too wide for me. I'm about 215 to 220 now so that might fit you better than it does me.

J. Crew is another good recommendation mostly because you can order Tall sizes online or from the catalog. I find that J. Crew woven tops are cut significantly shorter than other brands so if you want to wear your shirts tucked in consider ordering a tall. If you want to wear them untucked I actually find a regular XL looks better.

You won't find anything spectacular at either places but you definately can find things to get you through another season or two until you finish dropping all the weight.

Congratulations on the weight loss by the way.

Illuminatus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by topcatny
I'm 6'4" as well and an XL in GAP is long enough, but tends to be cut too wide for me. I'm about 215 to 220 now so that might fit you better than it does me.

I'm not particularily bulky - I have quite broad shoulders, but a lot of my weight is in the form of muscle. Whenever I buy t-shirts, I usually end up buying L.

J. Crew is another good recommendation mostly because you can order Tall sizes online or from the catalog. I find that J. Crew woven tops are cut significantly shorter than other brands so if you want to wear your shirts tucked in consider ordering a tall. If you want to wear them untucked I actually find a regular XL looks better.

You won't find anything spectacular at either places but you definately can find things to get you through another season or two until you finish dropping all the weight.
Thanks for the suggestions (both you and everyone else).

Congratulations on the weight loss by the way.
Thanks. I have metabolic problems, so my weight tends to fluctuate wildly and has for the past few years, but I've finally gotten a handle on it. (Thanks to a summer job that involved hauling plating for armoured vehicles)

There's a nearby store (Tip Top) that has suits on sale. What're two basic suits that're good to have? I'm thinking a navy (or midnight blue) 2-button, and a charcoal pinstripe.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Illuminatus
I'm not particularily bulky - I have quite broad shoulders, but a lot of my weight is in the form of muscle. Whenever I buy t-shirts, I usually end up buying L.

I am similar. I have to buy XL so that shirts fit in the shoulders and the chest. I also have long arms so the sleeves of a Large ends about an inch and a half from my wrist. I found that the vintage fit from J.Crew in an XL works quite well for me. It is broad enough in the chest and shoulders and long enough in the sleeves but the body is trimmer than your average shirt which usually looks at least 2 sizes too big through the waist.

There's a nearby store (Tip Top) that has suits on sale. What're two basic suits that're good to have? I'm thinking a navy (or midnight blue) 2-button, and a charcoal pinstripe.
I don't wear suits very often but you can't really go wrong with the two you mentioned. You might want to consider a 3 button or a 3 roll 2 as an option as well. Others may be able to offer more suggestions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads