• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Streetwear & Denim Travel Recommendations

wzjradam

Reaction score
Any recommendations for Portland, OR? I'm probably moving up there in a few months.

Also, anything I must do/eat in HK? I'll be traveling there at the end of Jan.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stumptown coffee! Okay I've never been to Portland but if I went I'd just spend my week going to every reputable coffee shop. I think food is supposed to be quite good too since there's still two Portland chefs alive on Top Chef.

basil rathbone

Reaction score
Any Munich suggestions? Heading there in a week or so. Probably hitting Salzburg as well and maybe one other city.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hide-M munich for shopping. I went on some tours and stuff but I would suggest just drinking lots of beer. There's so much to try. Schweinhaxe (pork shank) with a beer and potato dumplings is kind of awesome. The science museum (Deutsches Museum) is very large and brought out the kid in me. For something much more somber but very powerful and worthwhile, go to the Dachau concentration camp memorial (need to take a train). If I visit again I'd want to go to the BMW factory/museum.

Salzburg is one of the most beautiful places I've been in Europe - I went around this time of year too. Definitely walk up to Hohensalzburg Castle and climb all the towers to get epic views. I'm not sure the admission price is worth it but there is a Mozart's Birthplace exhibit/house thing that is fairly interesting. There's also some special desserts (Nockerl and Mozartkugel) that I never got around to trying.

Vienna might be a good option if you're looking for another city nearby.

basil rathbone

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks dude!

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright since someone in RFT said this thread needs some love, here goes:

I'll be in Stavanger, Norway second week of September for a conference, followed by 10 days of "working from home in Europe", and then a week in Paris for another conference. I'll try to arrive in Norway early for two 1-day hikes: Pulpit's Rock and Kjerag.

Post Norway, current plan is to go to Copenhagen for 1-2 days, but mostly this is because I'm trying to get a seat at Noma. Then Nice, Menton, Aix-en-Provence, Lyon, in some order. Debating if I should replace one of the above (Copenhagen?) with some area in the alps. I've been to the Interlaken region of the Swiss alps; never been to any of the places above.

Comments, recommendations on food/coffee/hikes are welcome. I already know what I'm going to do in Paris (eat and shop), so I'm good on that front. [I know I'm setting a pretty tight schedule, but I'm greedy and I've done this kind of travelling before.]

And if anyone lives in the above places and wants to meet up, let me know!

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I live in Copenhagen, if you don't get a spot at Noma there's plenty of former Noma chef's who had setup restaurants around town.

http://www.amassrestaurant.com is one of them.

There was a lot of talk about Norway and Copenhagen on the first couple pages.

Last edited:

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like some travel advice for Japan. My wife (4 months pregnant) and me are going from November 6-16th. It would be nice to know about things that are off' the beaten path. Shopping/eating in Tokyo will be limited to 2-3 days. Intend to purchase rail pass, so travel is definitely an option.

Any ideas?

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a way to get from Stavanger to Kjerag without renting a car in early September?

johnsams

Reaction score
Well if travel is your interest so be it. Scandinavian countries are one of the most beautiful countries in this world in terms of natural beauty. This entire belt is bestowed with some of the most eye catching and breath taking locales. How many you can visit in one trip depends upon the time you have at your disposal. If you want soak in the culture and natural beauty of each country properly then I would recommend do two countries in one trip.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I live in Copenhagen, if you don't get a spot at Noma there's plenty of former Noma chef's who had setup restaurants around town.

http://www.amassrestaurant.com is one of them.

There was a lot of talk about Norway and Copenhagen on the first couple pages.

Thanks for putting this on my radar. Had a really good meal at Amass that really showcased New Nordic philosophy. I also highly recommend Restaurant Radio for a more casual setting while being no less novel and excellent. BROR was a bit disappointing.

I liked everything I got at Andersen bakery, thebirkes in particular. The Coffee Collective is the best for "new wave" style coffee, but Risteriet also makes a nice traditional Euro espresso. Most other places were unfortunately disappointing (and very expensive to my non-Scandic eyes).

Norway was also super great for hiking. Preikestolen was really touristy and the view of the fjord wasn't that great imo, but an easy intro hike. Trolltunga was the best day hike of my life - it has all the scenery you can think of. I started before sunrise to beat the crowds.

If you want to read a boring travel journal and see some pictures, you can check out my wordpress.

kashmir

Reaction score
Yoyoyoyo

Will be traversing japan again next february. Gonna be my first winter experience. How cold is it over there at the end of February? 20-27th? (Paging @nicelynice)

Will be covering kyoto, nara, and kobe.

I had already purchased this vintage cashmere longcoat fron oxxford, quite thick and heavy.. Vintage is one of the cheapest option since i live in the tropics. I also have a dense wool crew neck sweater to be worn as base layer. Medium weight.

Thinking of layering a sport coat with throat latch as a mid layer, or would adding scarf without mid layer suffice? Maybe change the base layer to a turtleneck?

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cold but not freezing. Just pick up a down vest from Uniqlo for like $20 if you get cold :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads