• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Streetwear & Denim Travel Recommendations

Best Budz

Reaction score
I was in Vietnam in March...in Hanoi, Hoi An, and Ho Chi Minh City. I hung out at the beaches of Hoi An and wandered around town, but I didn't do anything particularly exciting. It's nice but tourists far outnumbered the locals (at least in the Old Town) so it got kinda annoying. If you were interested in taking a cooking class, I took the Green Bamboo cooking class, which I would highly recommend. I wasn't in HCMC long, but I had some incredible pho there. I'm sure that others here can recommend good spots, but I specifically remember eating at Pho Le and Pho Tau Bay, which is more or less a truck stop. Also went to the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum which I would recommend if you think looking at the preserved remains of Ho Chi Minh might be your thing.

barky

Reaction score
Quote:
If you are sick of tourist food in Hoi An, bike or cab (abt US3) out to An Bang beach and get good and cheap seafood at Tuyet, 2nd shack on your right. Tamarind prawns and caramelised squid are very good but everything is fresh, and mostly alive before cooking. The are 2 or 3 nice lounge/resto operated by gaijin on your left for chillout. An Bang is also a better beach than Cua Dai. Banh Mi Phoung, made famous by Bourdain, is pretty good and you must get the everything plus egg ones. Hoi An's iconic dish, Cao Lao is available everywhere, including way overpriced versions in gentrified cafes but I like the ones in the central market, specifically a stall in middle row towards the dry goods section with a black lacquered signboard. Fruit shakes are also widely available there. Hoi An's version of Hainanese Chicken Rice, Com Ga can be had at Ba Buoi. A good tourist cafe is Mai Fish, the steamboat set is good. Hoi An town center is basically a theme park/tourist trap. Beware of aggressive tollkeepers on both side of road approaching the Japanese Bridge who will try to collect their illegal dues every day you pass the damn bridge. Pay once, if you like, and be firm for the other days. If you are keen on authentic street food, a short trip out to Danang is your answer. It's a bit of a dead but very clean town but the eating is real good. Also, I am sure you know this, forget abt tailoring or shoemaking unless you have simple garments that you brought along to be copied. Even then, the materials available are crap anyways. Finally, try to take only Mai Linh cab anywhere in Vietnam. Have fun.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the tips, appreciate the food advice. Did the north of Vietnam two years ago (Hanoi, Ninh Binh, Halong), stopped in Hanoi for six hours to grab a bowl of Pho last year, had a fantastic time both trips - figured it was time to see the south. Ran out of countries in SE Asia to visit, Vietnam warranted a second trip. Plan on doing some biking to nearby villages in Hoi An and maybe going scuba diving if the weather is decent, although I hear the diving isn't in fantastic.

Last edited:

Best Budz

Reaction score
Yeah the scuba diving isn't really great there. I traveled around SE Asia a few months and would highly recommend a couple of spots in the Philippines, if you ever make it out that way.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did some diving (among other things) in Bohol last year, was fantastic!! Gonna head to Donsol or Palawan next March if we don't end up going to Palau. Not a serious diver so I'm not too concerned if it's not fantastic, just a fun way to cool off and take a boat ride

kashmir

Reaction score
Sup

So I managed to walk the **** out of Kyoto central area and managed to come across some thrift stores before finally stumbling upon this gem:

Can't afford anything though lol. The only thing I bought was a Hermes tie from Ragtag Fukuoka. So yeah, the trip yield some better window shopping than expected. Visited Beams, United Arrows, Edifice, felt some nice canvassing in them jackets, tried on a super soft Barena jacket at Ragtag but ended up not buying due to sizing. Maximum size is mostly around 50 european (40 US), didn't fit my 52 frame. That can be interpreted as either fortunate or unfortunate.

Visited Yohji at Isetan JR Kyoto, intimidated by the SA following me around and I speak zero Japanese. The rest is sightseeing, and exploring the **** out of the temples. I wish I spent more than 4D3N in Kyoto - Nara, but still great. Nagasaki, Beppu, Huis ten Bosch, every single one of them memorable, probably because the standard of living and cleanliness there is mindboggling compared to Jakarta. Tried my best to absorbed all the zen, work ethic, craftmanship, and history. Nara temples are a sight to behold.

Great sky. All captured with cheapass Samsung Galaxy model:

Didn't eat anything worth mentioning, only Maguro Koya at Nara:

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that big temple in nara is something else. inside is surreal.

Zeemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i went to JR Isetan Kyoto today, besides yohji, they also have a corner with different CDG lines

i also visited nara about a month ago, next to todaiji there is a cool garden called "isuien"

yesterday i came back from a trip to naha and kerama-islands (okinawa), it was really nice, but the heat and humidity is harsh, even compared to july/august in the kansai/kinki-area

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm so sick of Japan somebody please post a country that has sandwiches!!

(Nice pics, though, glad you're having a good time here)

kashmir

Reaction score
okinawa is like se asia lvl of heat lol

actually after i came from japan i realized that back here in indonesia there is almost an equal heritage and natural places of interest, but we have not even 1% of the attitude of the japanese in preserving them, nor the super clean infrastructure and efficient logistics

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
So as a follow up to my original post, I thought I would share some of my photos. I posted most of the fit photos in WAYWT already, but here are some of the other highlights.

As it turned out, we actually really liked Norrebro. So in some sense we sort of disregarded all the suggestions, but we didn't really intend to, it just ended up that way. Our friends from London who joined us on the trip happened to book an airbnb in Norrebro so that resulted in us being in that area for a good amount of the time. Highlights were the Barking Dog "cocktail pub," Coffee Collective (multiple locations), and Manfred's on Jægersborggade, which was probably the best meal of the trip.

COPENHAGEN

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ In my experience, Malmö is a lot dirtier (and shittier) than that....

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Copenhagen is way dirtier than malmö, malmö is just tiny and have 3-4 shops worth looking at and the same restaurants.

Glad you liked it Stanley, coffee collective has won numerous awards.

Last edited:

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the hipster areas of malmö (ala Möllan) is dirty, comparable to copenhagens hipster areas.... Ive lived in malmö, constant feeling that id get mugged, step in dog **** or depressed by the ugliness. Sort of meaningless discussion though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads