Streetwear & Denim Travel Recommendations

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by StanleyVanBuren, Jun 25, 2014.

1. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

my San Francisco thoughts based on the few days I've spent there:

Coffee
    Four Barrel: I got a fascinating, unique cup of coffee. Not my favorite cup ever, but unique in a good way.
    The Mill: Good, not mind-blowing. The line gets long and they could really use a name system to attach orders to people.

Shopping
    Unionmade: That place is packed with stuff. Talked Rothko w/ a female SA wearing a pair of huge jeans. If you like the stuff they carry online, definitely check it out.
    Barney's: Had a great SA interaction w/ the fragrances lady. Nice to touch Rick Owens for the first time. I did not see the changing rooms.
    Uniqlo: Around the corner from Barney's. A lot of stuff in sizes or colors not available on the webshop anymore.

Sights
    Getting on top of Twin Peaks and Turtle Hill are both really cool and pretty different experiences. And if you're a walker, you could walk from one to the other and beyond. However, you'll be taking some inventive routes around Twin Peaks; google maps (correctly) told me to hop the railing to take a narrow trail at one point. The wind on Twin Peaks is out of control.

Museums
    the de Young has a lot of great shit. Expensive for its size, but it sounds like you get a discount if you can prove you traveled by mass transit to get there.

Getting around
    The bus and metro system is clear, useful, and cheap if you've got a navigation app at your disposal. But sometimes it's not much faster than walking.

2. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Well-Known Member

I have a recommendation for Las Vegas after living here for a couple of years.

Spend your next weekend here at Fremont street. The old strip downtown has been massively upgraded over the last several years thanks to Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh's interest. He formed a group of investors who have spent millions upgrading downtown.

Fremont bars are much more "streetwear" friendly than many of the clubs in the big hotels on the south end of the strip. If you want a "high end" experience, stay on the south end. If you want a less expensive, more party experience, go Fremont.

The crazy, flashy "Vegas" vibe is much more concentrated on Fremont street. Every weekend it's a giant street party with multiple bands and laser light shows and crazy street performers in costume. Plus the zip line. Drinks are cheaper on Fremont than the main strip too.

Eat at Le Thai or Pizza Rock. Visit Container Park for unique shopping and really cheap food. Watch out for the locust shooting fire out of it's antenna.

Get a coffee at the Beat. And get a drink in the backyard at the Gold Spike. I mentioned the Gold Spike to some people at work who grew up here and they laughed. The place used to be a dive bar. Now it's all renovated and features live bands and lots of bar games like giant jenga and giant beer pong.

During the day you can hit the "Premium Outlets" which are within walking distance of Fremont. Just yesterday I bought a pair of Clark's beeswax desert boots for $79 and 25% off another pair of shoes at the Clark's outlet.
    (I edited the price of the desert boots after looking at my receipt.)
    Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

3. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

Heading to NYC for three nights on my way to Europe at the end of this month. Any recommendations? Gonna try to keep it cheap-ish.

4. nevergreen

nevergreen Senior member

seattle recs? clothing (besides totokaelo), food, destinations, etc

also what's the weather usually like around late july?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

5. ghdvfddzgzdzg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

6. basil rathbone

@ghdvfddzgzdzg None, never! My wife has been before though.

Probably gonna skip things like Statue of Liberty and maybe Empire State Building, if that gives you a general idea. Might hit up a museum or two since we do that here anyways. Likely not going to do a lot of shopping, but wouldn't mind checking out cool stores anyways. Staying in the west village. Wanna see a broadway show too. Other than that, we just sorta play things by ear.

7. ghdvfddzgzdzg

Never?! Well, the world is your oyster then. In terms of museums, the Met is enormous and beautiful, and the Moma is always strong. If what the Whitney has catches your fancy, it's near the Met. And you can see some Central Park up there too, which I recommend. For shopping, it depends on your style, obviously, but there are so many places. just google "new york" and a brand you like and you'll probably find a spot or two for you. Don't forget that Brooklyn is full of good shit for food and shopping both, and you can walk or bike over the Williamsburg Bridge. I like to get around on Citi Bikes when I'm up there. It's a good way to see the city, and inexpensive, but little wild sometimes--5th avenue at 5 pm is not recommended for the risk-averse. The app is a must for using the citibikes. If you wake up early, the streets are yours sometimes. But of course the subway works well too. Not a specific spot or anything, but I'd say that you should see Soho (the Starbucks at Crosby and Spring is good for a bathroom if you've been running around all day), Chinatown (when you're there, think about how in the 80s, the Beastie Boys lived there somewhere under a sweatshop), Central Park, and if you're gonna see a show, see Times Square just for the spectacle. Then get the fuck out of there asap. I like to do little travel paths with stuff to do along the way. For example, I'd do something like go to a store in Soho (Uniqlo, IF, Muji), walk/bike east to Epaulet and Self Edge, south from there to get some dumplings, a little north and east to get to the Williamsburg Bridge to go into Brooklyn, etc. For food, there's too many options to list. NY has pizza, various asian food, burgers, a million things. When I was last there, I stayed near the Sichuan Belt in Midtown and loved it. But I don't even know what to tell you, there's too many things and a bunch of it changes a lot. Google your way through food, or look at the instagram food photos of people you know who are in NYC (I think it was Willy Cheesesteak who got asked for food reccs and he just said to look through his instagram.) If you read about pizza and then are feeling compelled to get out to DiFara, know that it will take you a damn long time to get there and back. Consider a closer option unless you are geographically already deep into Brooklyn. 30 Rock and the Empire State Building both are good for views. not a "must see" but if have no other way to get up in a tall building and look down at stuff, it's cool. Indeed you can skip the Statue of Liberty. Forgive me for the areas where I'm not that specific; a person who actually lives in NY could be more helpful w/ their favorite spots. I just visit once a year or so, and I will say upfront that I am big on foot/bike travel because I just like to see cities, so this skews that way.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014

8. basil rathbone

Sweet, thanks man!

9. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

just wanted to say that the SF recommendations here have been so helpful for me this week! Spent ages speaking to the people in Maas and Stacks yesterday and they are really great. Bought some trousers from MAC and just generally enjoying it here. Thanks for all the help. :slayer:

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

For clothing, Jack Straw is usually pretty good, though I find that their buys are not all that unique. But there is not really that much in Seattle for innovative menswear.

The weather sucks. Think either hot and muggy, or hot and buggy and raining. I always feel the need to shower in the middle of the day there. Food - I dunno what you are looking for, but I try to make sure that I eat at Serious Pie, which has some pretty good pizza. There are two locations now. It's a much more fermented crust than is typical for actual Neapolitan pizza, and I think that doing this much fermenting would cause the torches and pitchforks to come out, but 9it sure does make one tasty pie. I really like their mushroom pizza, which is perfect with the dough, but there are other options as well.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I sometimes get breakfast at Balthazar. It just makes me happy to be there in my sneakers and jeans the leathers with all the suits around me. Oak is sorta cool, but there is not that much around there anymore. Tons of little stores in the LES, including Assembly, though I think that it's changed in the last year or so,

I like walking around St. Mark's place. Interesting energy. Don't bother with most of the Italian bakeries though. They tend to be disappointing.

12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

My SF rec copy pasta. I can make a list for the South Bay too... (San Jose and its surrounding suburbs). It skips a lot of the really famous spots like Fleur de Lys, Gary Danko, Benu, etc.

If you're not leaving the actual city:

Coffee - Philz, Sightglass if you're a snob

Snacks/between meal stops - Swan Oyster Depot, SOMA StrEAT food park (food trucks/microbrews on tap), show dogs

Burgers - a lot of places in SF make good burgers - B Bar (Yerba Buena garden right by Bloomingdale's/Barney's/etc.) is a good outdoor spot, you can order pitchers of various drinks and hang out there in the sun

Pizza - Tony's Pizza Napoletana, Capo's, 00 (although the soft serve and fried chicken might be better than the pizza)

Noodles - Turtle Tower (get the CHICKEN pho), Halu (ramen)

Happy Hour - Nihon Whiskey Lounge (tons of whiskey, pretty good food), there's tons of drink nerd spots too all over the city, lots of spots with views near the water

Dinner - Zuni Cafe (the roast chicken for 2, order as soon as you are seated it takes forever, devour raw bar and rabbit salad while you wait), Saison (ballerish tasting menu), Zushi Puzzle (sushi), Incanto (Chris Cosentino's pride and joy)

Dessert - Bi-Rite Creamery, date spots - Luna Park / Candy Bar / Ghiradelli Square, Golden Gate Bakery for egg tarts, Smitten and Humphrey Slocombe for Ice cream

Brunch - Mama's is rightfully famous, or you can pick up pastries at Tartine, Slow Maple is a good option too and you can walk around that area after. This list is actually pretty solid and SF really loves the shit out of its brunches.
    Http://www.thrillist.com/eat/san-francisco/best-sf-brunch-neighborhood-guide

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

13. SirMeowly

SirMeowly Senior member

NY: There are so many food and coffee options, but I always tell people to go to Little Skips (in Bushwick) if they're into cafes. Cute place + good coffee and incredible sandwiches (gluten free options for them too). Also eat at Caracas Arepas (the one in the East Village) if you want something cheap and excellent. While you're there, a few blocks away is I Am Coffee, which has the best coffee I've ever had in my life.

Seattle (more in-depth because I've lived here for a lot more of my life than I've lived in NY):

Coffee (because why are you coming here if you're not going to drink coffee):

Cafe Allegro (Seattle's first espresso bar)
    Lighthouse Roasters
    Vivace (the sidewalk stand on Capitol Hill is great if you want a to-go coffee)
    Caffe Vita
    Milstead & Co
    Caffe Umbria

Food:

Paseo (if were to only eat at one place in Seattle, make it Paseo. Cash only)
    Any Tom Douglas restaurant (Lola & Dahlia Lounge are my favorites - if you want to easily get in without reservation, just sit at the bar)
    Mamnoon (Syrian/Lebanese food)
    There's a ridiculous number of restaurants in Seattle for the size of the city, so if there's any particular kind of food you want - just ask. There is always a good place for it.

Drinks/Nightlife:

Bars on Capitol Hill (various... everywhere is pretty good, but you go there for the general vibe, not an individual place)
    Bars on Ballard Ave (big fan of Percy's, King's, Noble Fir, Shelter)
    Q Nightclub (dance music/top 40 depending on night)
    Foundation Nightclub (EDM)

Clothes:

Jack Straw (they don't have much right now - spring buy was pretty small because they were moving storefronts and most of it has been sold during their sale. Had some nice Barena samples the last time I was in there though, plus a few EG items left)
    Totokaelo (which you already mentioned)

Destinations:

Space Needle (cool to do once)
    Various parks (for people on their first visit: Gasworks, Kerry, Alki beach)
    EMP (Experience Music Project)
    If you have a car, lots of great hikes/nature things close to Seattle. One of the best things about living here.

Airport stuff:

SubPop store
    Beecher's mac & cheese
    Anthony's seafood

Late July weather is usually pretty nice. 70s and sunny is normal, sometimes 80s. There can also randomly be a week of rain though. If you want to visit at a time with the best chance of good weather, late July/August is your best bet.
    Be warned, July 25-27 is Capitol Hill Block Party (music festival), so if you're planning to do much up there, it will be crowded and some shops may be inaccessible.

14. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Perhaps a little more out of the norm- headed to Sofia, Bulgaria for work next month. Any recommendations for anything. Should have 1.5 free days and dinners a couple nights.

15. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

The Whitney is having a big Jeff Koons retrospective, if that is your cup of tea.

Cafe Sabarsky at the Neue Galerie is good stuff. A good all day museum game plan is to do breakfast there, finish 10 minutes before the galleries open, bask in the Klimts , and then go to the Met which is 6ish blocks south, or the Guggenheim which is 3 blocks north. The G'heim has an Italian Futurist show on