1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Streetwear belt

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by SlimJim, Apr 18, 2011.

1. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

couldnt agree more.

anyone can make an expensive belt ... the real trick is finding someone with the skills to make a decent product (although belt making in and of itself is not rocket science), sourcing fine materials and then getting them to the consumer for a decent price and the us has many.

True that.
    The biggest challenge for me as a belt-buyer is finding someone who is willing to source interesting and good-quality leathers for me - not just the average veg. tanned strap, as a belt for me is essentially a medium with which to experience a certain leather - luckily I have two great dudes in the US and UK taking care of that for me!

2. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

'agree with mikecch, scourage, w/e, etc. unlike other fashion products where the material is just a physical/tangible part of the total package [ie, other than concept/design, craftsmanship, brand, etc.], a belt is a belt. the quality of leather is of the utmost importance__ not the brand.

Scott's Unlucky belts [... or belts by other respected forum artisans] are, ounce for ounce, the best buy. 'dare any1 to explain/justify the chasmic difference in price point from branded belts [ie, Samurai, FH, IH, etc.], with repect to overall quality of the product.

3. entrero

entrero Senior member

unlike other fashion products where the material is just a physical/tangible part of the total package [ie, other than concept/design, craftsmanship, brand, etc.], a belt is a belt.

The fail is strong

4. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

sorry about your evidently boring belts, IIIrd icon

5. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

'agree with mikecch, scourage, w/e, etc. unlike other fashion products where the material is just a physical/tangible part of the total package [ie, other than concept/design, craftsmanship, brand, etc.], a belt is a belt. the quality of leather is of the utmost importance__ not the brand.

Scott's Unlucky belts [... or belts by other respected forum artisans] are, ounce for ounce, the best buy. 'dare any1 to explain/justify the chasmic difference in price point from branded belts [ie, Samurai, FH, IH, etc.], with repect to overall quality of the product.

he has little to no overhead, liabilities, etc.

comparing my scott belt to my samurai and somet belts i would say they are very comparable. although i wear my somet the most simply because i like the style and lets face it ... somet shit is fucking awesome!

6. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

^^ I'd have to say, IMO, no matter how good a belt looks, if the materials and construct are flimsy, then the belt is auto-fail, substance before style when it comes to a leather belt (unless you're a ninja.)

Don't forget when you kop an artisan Japanese belt overseas, you're not only paying for the Japanese premium on leather goods, but also the overseas premium on Japanese products.
    A Samurai belt, before it arrives at your door, would have to go from Kawatako to Samurai to customs to retailer/overseas distributor, etc...the price includes taxes, everyone's overheads and profits, lalalala.
    Sure you can justify spending that much, but I think it's a little silly, especially for those of you who live in the US or UK (countries where there are great local tanneries and a proud tradition of fine leather craftsmenship) not to also consider your neighbours who may be making fine belts.

7. whatever123

^^ I'd have to say, IMO, no matter how good a belt looks, if the materials and construct are flimsy, then the belt is auto-fail, substance before style when it comes to a leather belt (unless you're a ninja.) Don't forget when you kop an artisan Japanese belt overseas, you're not only paying for the Japanese premium on leather goods, but also the overseas premium on Japanese products. A Samurai belt, before it arrives at your door, would have to go from Kawatako to Samurai to customs to retailer/overseas distributor, etc...the price includes taxes, everyone's overheads and profits, lalalala. Sure you can justify spending that much, but I think it's a little silly, especially for those of you who live in the US or UK (countries where there are great local tanneries and a proud tradition of fine leather craftsmenship) not to also consider your neighbours who may be making fine belts.
    please tell me your not suggesting my somets are of poor construction! if so, im sending this fucker to you (if you havent already handled on in person). [​IMG] are they as thick as my samurais and unlucky? no ... but i dont think the thickness of a belt equates to superior quality. they use very similar stitching methods and the leather on my white belt is so soft. plus it has super cool hardware.

8. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

^ Oh, haha, no, no, not at all.
    I've handled a couple of Somet belts, they are good quality!

My comment was aimed at the other posts.
    Sorry about the confusion.

9. whatever123

^ Oh, haha, no, no, not at all. I've handled a couple of Somet belts, they are good quality! My comment was aimed at the other posts. Sorry about the confusion.
    ah, okay! if you change your mind ill send it to you. you could wear it for a month or so ...

10. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

^ Haha, thanks for the offer, but my waist size is probably a bit bigger than yours at 36 [​IMG]

Btw, I see BiG has the new Fullcount belts in stock - haven't handled them in person, but they seem much, much better than the old Fullcount belt models (wasn't too impressed with the leather or the unfinished sides on the older ones).

11. kiya

kiya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

^ Haha, thanks for the offer, but my waist size is probably a bit bigger than yours at 36 [​IMG]

Btw, I see BiG has the new Fullcount belts in stock - haven't handled them in person, but they seem much, much better than the old Fullcount belt models (wasn't too impressed with the leather or the unfinished sides on the older ones).

Fullcount recently change their manufacturer of leather products, so all FC belts and wallets are now made by a different company.

12. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

^ I see. Thanks for the tip [​IMG]

13. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

The fail is strong
    sorry about your evidently boring belts, IIIrd icon
    [​IMG] what's fail is not looking before pouncing. look up kids! this is ain't WAYWT... out of your jurisdicktion. it's a general discussion about belts. my blanket statement is about [the worth] "ounce for ounce". every1's got their own style & fashion sensibilities, so you don't equate [that] cuz it's subjective. but, the quality of the material?!!! that's absolutely discernable. you can't make a bad quality goods good by design.... actually, nowadays, that is the common place. admittedly, i've been a fashion "tool" sometimes, [ie, like Number Nine belt for 200+] cuz it was "nice"__ dint evo very well. now, i prefer quality of leather+craftsmanship over brand.... but, that's just me, folks.

... & @Uncontrol, tho' we [most likely] got zilch in common, show me yours & i'll show you mine.

.... Scott's Unlucky belts [... or belts by other respected forum artisans] are, ounce for ounce, the best buy. 'dare any1 to explain/justify the chasmic difference in price point from branded belts [ie, Samurai, FH, IH, etc.], with repect to overall quality of the product.

14. accent1220

accent1220 Member

a vote for horween leather belts from Leffot

15. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

every1's got their own style & fashion sensibilities, so you don't equate [that] cuz it's subjective.
    Huh? This is a style forum. Just because it's subjective doesn't mean it isn't worth discussing. Either way of course the quality of a belt is really very important, but not all belts are design-less slabs of tan leather and nickel. For what it's worth, I have two belts; one you will hate, and one you may be able to tolerate. [​IMG] This one is by Diavlo. Quality isn't amazing, but it's a real solid piece of leather, not bonded or any shit like this, and considering the amount of ornamentation I'd say it's worth the Â¥6000 I paid. [​IMG] This one is by 5351 Pour les Hommes. Very thick, supple piece of calf leather, made in Japan. Unadorned except for the buckle, which is a really nice "sword" shape. Yes, a belt that falls apart after a few months isn't worth being part of an outfit. But I'm not interested in a nice "evo" or whatever, not everything in life is a pair of raw denim, some people just want a belt that holds up and looks good. I've seen your style and it seems like you're more interested in denim and leather from a technical perspective (as in, how it evolves) rather than a purely aesthetic perspective (how it looks right now).

16. whatever123

Fullcount recently change their manufacturer of leather products, so all FC belts and wallets are now made by a different company.

which co?

17. whatever123

[​IMG] This one is by 5351 Pour les Hommes. Very thick, supple piece of calf leather, made in Japan. Unadorned except for the buckle, which is a really nice "sword" shape. Yes, a belt that falls apart after a few months isn't worth being part of an outfit. But I'm not interested in a nice "evo" or whatever, not everything in life is a pair of raw denim, some people just want a belt that holds up and looks good. I've seen your style and it seems like you're more interested in denim and leather from a technical perspective (as in, how it evolves) rather than a purely aesthetic perspective (how it looks right now).
    i love this belt. that buckle is great.

18. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

19. whatever123

is that belt a current lh piece? have you seen it for sale anywhere?

20. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

This is from last year. Currently they're selling a distressed suede version. [​IMG]