• Please help me welcome our new sponsor, Crush Store a luxury boutique and contemporary store in Southern Italy that offers its customers the a careful selection of casual and elegant fashion at excellent prices and great value. Please do visit their thread to say hi, ask questions about brands, sizing, etc... and see what is new at Crush Store. Thanks!
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Streetwear Aesthetics?

FSA

Reaction score
I've been reading this forum with great interest and... well, bewilderment... for a little while now. Firstly, because streetwear is a part of the fashion world I'm almost completely unfamiliar with. And secondly, because I just don't seem to be able to understand its aesthetics. Reading all the various threads on this board, I fail to see much rhyme or reason to the way certain items or combinations of clothing are praised and others are frowned upon.

So I thought you could maybe help clueless me out a little. What makes one hoodie/shirt/pair of jeans/pair of shoes better than another? What is it that makes an outfit work or not work in your eyes?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you could provide a little background on yourself, it would be much easier to answer your question.

Briefly, I would say that coherency is the most important aspect of putting together a successful outfit, streetwear or otherwise. Coherency extends to silhouette, color, materials, inspirations, and so on.

So, for example, assuming that all the pieces fit well, a light grey boiled wool workwear inspired jacket with a red and blue plaid shirt, tan belt with a garrison buckle, well fitting dark jeans by a company like 5EP, and natural colored Chuck Taylors would work well because
1) the colors all coordinate well, with the plaid shirt, tan belt and light colored shoes providing welcome contrast to the dark and neutral solid pieces
2) All the pieces are workwear inspired or iconic Americana (the Chucks)
This is, of course, assuming that all the pieces fit well.

On the other hand, if someone threw in a techno-fleece piece by Prada Sport in the mix, or switched out the Chucks for a pair of colorful Nike Dunks, the outfit would just look a little off.

FSA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
If you could provide a little background on yourself, it would be much easier to answer your question.
You're right, sorry. I mostly wear classic tailored clothing (ie. what is covered by the main forum on this site, as far as I can see), in particular the English variety. I should also mention I had a brief stint as a metalhead.

Goblin

Reaction score
Don't feel bad. I'm here all the time and I'm still pretty much clueless.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FSA
You're right, sorry. I mostly wear classic tailored clothing (ie. what is covered by the main forum on this site, as far as I can see), in particular the English variety. I should also mention I had a brief stint as a metalhead.
Dude, Ozzy's on this forum now? Awesome!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

katon

Reaction score
To simplify things, I guess you could sort of think of streetwear doing for blue-collar clothes what your standard styleforum does for white-collar clothes.
smile.gif
Same principles, different subject.

One thing that might help is seeing that there's not just one streetwear. Just like Italians and Americans and Brits have different emphasis when it comes to how they wear their suits, there are differences in how people wear their jeans.

A person wearing skinny jeans and a pair of Chuck Taylors is wearing streetwear, but so is a person wearing full-cut jeans and a pair of Air Force Ones. Different streets, different streetwear.
smile.gif

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA Guy hints at this and he's talked about it explicitly in different threads, but just to get this out there:

Streetwear is primarily inspired by workwear and military clothes. On SF there is a stronger Americana/Preppy/etc. influence than on the average street, I believe. There are weaker sports, outdoors, and Hip Hop influences. And of course, contemporary Men's Clothing crossover.

(Did I miss any?)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tokyo kid worship.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with LA Guy. Silhouette is very important, if it doesnt work, nothing works. Coherancy in inspiration for the different pieces are of course important, even if it in theory atleast would be cool to mix it up a bit.

Featured Sponsor

What gift are you planning to give your dad this Father's Day?

• A set of whiskey rocks

• 99 Luft balloons

• Tickets to the new Barbie movie

• A lifetime membership to Topgolf

• Personalized temporary tattoos

• Peek inside to read our selection of (less ludicrous) gifts for Father's Day 2023!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidmichael