• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Street Fighter: Chun Li (2008) movie

kinglear

Reaction score
Street Fighter: Chun Li (2008) movie

An early film version of 'Street Fighter' was released in 1994.

Ashok Amritraj's Hyde Park Entertainment and Capcom Ltd. are getting in the ring for a film version of popular vidgame franchise "Street Fighter."

Scribe Justin Marks has been tapped to adapt.

Hyde Park and Capcom -- Japanese publisher of "Street Fighter" -- will produce the film in a joint venture.

Pic will focus on the game's most popular female fighter, Chun Li, but the exact storyline is being kept under wraps.

In 1994, Universal released a "Street Fighter" movie starring Jean-Claude Van Damme that featured most of the characters from the game.

Hyde Park and Capcom's film is targeted to bow in 2008, the 20th anniversary of the game franchise.

The Street Fighter series helped ignite the arena fighting genre that's still popular in the vidgame world.

When it first debuted, it generated heated controversy over the graphic depictions of violence.

Though it has been less popular in recent years as the number of competitors has increased, "Street Fighter" games have sold over 25 million console games and 500,000 arcade units, generating more than a billion dollars in revenue.

Marks just completed writing "Voltran" for producer Mark Gordon.

He is repped by William Morris Agency.

Hyde Park will be selling the project at the American Film Market, which unspools this week in Santa Monica.

When I first heard of the movie, I was thinking who would be best to portray Chun Li and I decided is Chiaki Kuriyama who played Go Go in Kill Bill, Vol. 1 I think she could pull off the role of Chun Li. I know she can definitely fight. haha Here are some pics:

chiaki_nylon1t.jpg

chiaki_001t.jpg

King Salmon

Reaction score
They should have a Chinese actress. Did you know that there was a video game based on the movie? So it was Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game.

kinglear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Salmon
They should have a Chinese actress.

Did you know that there was a video game based on the movie? So it was Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game.

I know that Kuriyama is Japanese, but she looks like her to me, unless they find some gifted unknown Chinese actress, which I bet they can. I have faith the movie will be good.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I heard about this last week and all I have to say is UGH. I say Mr. Bean Rowan Atkinson stars in Street Fighter:Super Alpha 3 Turbo - The Dan Hibiki Story. That would rule.
dan.jpg

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'll be a dud. Kids nowadays don't even know what Street Fighter is.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah. In college I was awesome at SF-Alpha 3

I liked Cammy. Corner opponent, engage V-ism, repeat canon spikes. woo

Never could master Zangief or Sakura though...they were the best I've seen in the game. Most people chose Akuma, but that was a dead giveaway you were facing an opponent who sucked lol. When they choose Sakura with V, you know you're screwed.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Focusing on Chun Li? That sucks.......that is one character I NEVER played, and one that certainly doesn't seem to have much of a following in regards to some of the other fighters: Blanca, Guile, Ryu, Dhalsim, Zangief etc.

Oh well; I guess they already screwed up the first Street Fighter movie, so I don't have high hopes for this.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
Oh well; I guess they already screwed up the first Street Fighter movie, so I don't have high hopes for this.

That's what happens when you try to make a movie based on a game with absolutely no plot or backstory.

I wasted soooooo much coin as an undergrad playing Streetfighter.... Both the original Streetfighter and then Streetfighter 2, which the movie was based on.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I really want is a King Of Fighters movie.

SNK > Capcom.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that this isn't going to suck, but Chiaki Kuriyama's nose is too quirky and her boobs are too small for this role.

kinglear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Not that this isn't going to suck, but Chiaki Kuriyama's nose is too quirky and her boobs are too small for this role.

Well, another perfect choice would be Li Gong. She looks like she could play Chun Li. Plus, she's really making moves in the industry. She was in Miami Vice and she's co-starring in the new Hannibal Lecter movie and an upcoming movie with Jim Caviezel.

16gong.jpg

Gong-Li.jpg

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kuriyama is way too skinny the role.

I always played as Vega and Chun Li in SFII since they could jump off the sides of maps, but with recent game I'v played with Sakura

streetfighter_8c.jpg

/swoon

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
What I really want is a King Of Fighters movie.

SNK > Capcom.

Werd man Iori, Leona, and usually a third person I never end up using is my fav team to kick ass with

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads