• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Streching shoes

abc123

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please excuse me if this has already been discussed, though I searched and couldn't find any thing of use.

I have a pair of shoes (tassel loafers) that are a bit small. I generally wear a wide size, and these are a regular. I have heard people reference the streching of shoes, and I was wondering if it is possible to expand the width/length slightly, how much it costs, and if these are any negative effects to the structure of the shoes. If anyone has any experience doing this, I wold love to hear about it!

Thanks in advance gents!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by abc123
Hi all,

Please excuse me if this has already been discussed, though I searched and couldn't find any thing of use.

I have a pair of shoes (tassel loafers) that are a bit small. I generally wear a wide size, and these are a regular. I have heard people reference the streching of shoes, and I was wondering if it is possible to expand the width/length slightly, how much it costs, and if these are any negative effects to the structure of the shoes. If anyone has any experience doing this, I wold love to hear about it!

Thanks in advance gents!

I think the answers in general are: 1. It can be done. 2. A number of folks here have done it themselves using various methods, but a number of people have suggested that having a professional shoe guy do it may be safer, in that should know how to ensure even stretching that won't make the shoe end up looking distorted. If you're going to try yourself, there are commercially available (cheap) products you can apply to the leather first to make it more amenable to stretching. 3. I have no idea what it costs to have them professionally stretched, but I would not expect it to be terribly expensive, as there is no actual alteration of the construction of the shoe.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shoes usually can be stretched by about a width, and my cobbler charges $5 for the service. It's best to find a place that does a slow stretch over several days.

If you think you'll need to have several pairs stretched, you might be better off buying your own stretcher. They're available pretty cheap at stores such as Bed, Bath and Beyond.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a stretcher on ebay for $20. Basically, I coat the top of the stretcher with a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water and stick it in the shoe and stretch the shoe with the stretcher. I then leave it like that for 24 hours. After 24 hours I take it out again and repeat the process for another 24 hours. I then take the shoes and wear them at home while wearing two pairs of athletic socks. This usually does the trick for me. I most recently did this to a pair of EG I bought for the sale where the right shoe was too tight and it worked pretty well. I've also done this a number of times in the past to several different types of shoes and always with good results. The only problem is that after doing this a brand new pair of shoes looks like a pair of shoes that have been worn a few times (i.e., you see creasing on the top of the shoe).

abc123

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I was afraid it would be a expensive and risky procedure, so this is encouraging. I only have one pair, and don't really want to risk it myself, so I'll have it done professionally. Anyone know of a reputable place in DC or the Maryland side of the metro area? Many Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads