Streamlined Shoe Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

couldn't disagree more. Black shoes suck all the time. They are lifeless and boring.

For every situation where a black shoe works well (excluding black tie and funerals), a brown shoe looks better. If you are wearing decent brown shoes, there is no issue of safer.

2. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

The U-last is right where "too sleek" begins for my preference.

I like oxfords with dress trousers and above, and reserve derbys for casual wear.

3. bant

bant Senior member

incorrect, not in the case of UCBD.

4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

bull.

I don't care what board room, law firm, or investment bank you are in, no one will give a rats ass if you walk in with a well fitted gray or navy suit and dark brown captoe oxfords. no one will say anything, no one will berate you, in fact, you'd probably get compliments, i know I have.

if you walk in there with for instance Walnut strands on, yeah, you may raise a few eyebrows.

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

From a practical perspective, I think you're probably right and it may not matter in many cases if black is seen as slightly more conservative. That said, black shoes are still more conservative, and for this reason slightly safer, IMO. This doesn't mean brown shoes are wrong or that I would have an issue wearing them in a formal business setting with a suit, just that they're not quite the ne plus ultra of conservative footwear.

6. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I partially agree. Most of the time, no one will really notice. For a counterexample however, a friend of mine works at Nationwide Insurance and he really thinks brown has no place in a business environment. He thinks shoes should always be black. Also, please do not take this out of context, whether or not I agree with him or whether or not he has good taste is debatable. I am simply providing an example of an average guy who would disagree, and hence he cannot be alone in this thought. That said, I would argue that anyone who disagrees is still like not to say anything or berate you, but they will quietly think you have made an error.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

^ Nationwide is NOT on your side, Quadcammer :D

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

AGREED

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

point being, if no one notices, cares, or says anything, does it really matter?

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

But in what context? On this forum or at your office? I could dress terribly in my office (I actually used to) and no one cared or noticed, as they all dressed poorly too. Even though they didn't notice, I still looked bad.

11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Most of the time in day-to-day life, probably not. There may be a few office environments where black shoes are expected, but I don't know of any personally. If I'm going to a job interview or pitching to a new client I've never met before, I'd always wear black over brown and keep my clothes on the more sedate side. I think there are a small number of cases where the less colorful and more boring shoe (even though I like black a good bit more than you, I do agree that it is somewhat boring) is definitely a better choice.

12. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The tan monks could go.
    I have a pair of tan wingtips and tan plain toes and wear them a lot in summer, but I don't really need them.

13. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

point is that brown shoes would be disdained not for looking bad, but for being somehow less formal. My statement is that since no one cares, wear what looks better, which in my opinion, is brown.

i agree that conservative choices are better, hence navy suits, white or light blue shirts, subdued ties, etc. never run into a situation where dark brown captoes would be astride of that

14. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

Negative in London.

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I agree the tan monks would be the first to go if something had to go. But it is a very useful shoe.

Foo is also right that if you had to pare down, seasonality could be ditched, but if you can achieve seasonality with only 6-7 pairs, you should.

The fooshoo is absolutely wrong for summer.