• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Streamlined Shoe Wardrobe

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This has been discussed on the Aussie Thread but a Jo Average with a mortgage, two kids, missus and a car loan could get by with:

(1) A black cap oxford

(2) A dark brown brogue (any combo)

The brogues can come out on weekends for wear with a blazer/odd jacket.

Throw in a chelsea or chukka for the pub and rugby matches and you're done. 

You need 2 pairs of black cap oxfords for rotating, a pair needs a day to rest, but then, of a lot of my workmates just wear the same pair 5 days a week.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would alternate the black caps and dark brown brogues thoughout the work week, to be clear. There'd be few places these days where dark brown can't go (maybe if you're an undertaker).

Surely one of the pairs would be able to handle a few days of consecutive use whilst the other gets topy-ed once every few years.

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the rationale of rotating shoes is to keep shoes looking good and not wet, as our feet all sweat, and it takes some time for a pair to dry completely.

Having two pairs of black will means they will look better until you have to get rid of them.

it also depends on what type of shoe you are wearing and how much care you take, if the shoe are mass produced with glued soles, or due to lack of care, the uppers wore out with cracks, there isn't much point in rotating.

if you apply topy, condition and polish the shoes, then the internal leather lining may slowly worn out, from your sweat and wear. In this case, rotating with shoe trees gives your shoes the opportunity to fully dry out before worn again. So two pairs of black shoes may well last more than twice as long as one pair of shoes, a long term saving for you, even though a higher capital outlay at the start, and it's more interesting and better looking to have a variety of shoes.

So yeah, don't let your marriage life hold you back, this is all justified economically, which was your original point of only having 2 pairs.

Though your missus may take some convincing :stirpot:
:nest:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's my six

I'm a bit of a C&J whore.

Not a monk fan (don't like the look) or boot/chukka fan (don't like the feel)

A big fan of loafers (business casual)

From 9'oclock position, clockwise

1). C&J Bedford in black calf
2). C&J Radstock in brown calf
3). C&J Draycott in chestnut calf
4). C&J for RL Marlow wingtip in cigar shell (in dire need of some Mac Method'ing)
5). C&J for RL Marlow loafer in cigar shell
6). Alden flexwelt loafer in tan calf (also have one in brown suede) --- threw this one in for the sake of color

IMG_7189_zps542149b1.jpg

IMG_7190_zps161c3d2d.jpg

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Atta boy JRD. Looking great. Nice spread.

Balfour

Reaction score
Here's my six

I'm a bit of a C&J whore.

Not a monk fan (don't like the look) or boot/chukka fan (don't like the feel)

A big fan of loafers (business casual)

From 9'oclock position, clockwise

1). C&J Bedford in black calf
2). C&J Radstock in brown calf
3). C&J Draycott in chestnut calf
4). C&J for RL Marlow wingtip in cigar shell (in dire need of some Mac Method'ing)
5). C&J for RL Marlow loafer in cigar shell
6). Alden flexwelt loafer in tan calf (also have one in brown suede) --- threw this one in for the sake of color

+1.

Very nice.

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Inspired by NOBD. The list: 1) Black stitch caps. For funerals, job interviews, Important Meetings, and whenever you must be the ne plus ultra of conservative business dress 2) Brown punch caps. The ultimate suit shoe, gorgeous and goes with virtually everything; could sub this one for a brown half or full brogue 3) A thick-soled blucher or longwing in brown textured calf or burg shell. Think the foo shoe, ed's Dinelackers, JL Russell, or one of those Vass $hitkickers. Perfect for any fall/winter odd jacket and good with most fall/winter suits 4) Tan monks. Good for summer suits or odd jackets, wearable the rest of the year While I doubt that Manton had any of these in mind these three combined may fit the contemplated niche. or or 5) #8 shell or mink suede loafers. Dark enough for a blazer, grays and a white shirt but also colorful enough for day; better than lace-ups for most no-tie outfits 6) Tobacco suede oxford: goes with all suits from Labor Day to Memorial Day; wear it with odd jackets as long as I don't see you

jb_1977

Reaction score
If I were to start over, recognizing that winters get harsh, I'd go:

1. Alden Longwing Blucher on Barrie Last (unless Foo can spare a Plaza) in #8 Shell

2. Alden LHS in Whiskey Shell with natural sole edge

Credit to CTYGGG for pic and Uncle Mac for his

3. Loake Aldwych Stitch-cap Balmoral in Black Calf

4. AE Fifth Street Semi-brogue Balmoral Boot in Burnished Brown Calf with Topys or Vibram Sole Protectors

5. AE Long Branch Wingtip Derby Boot in Brown (Tan) Waxy Leather

6. CJ Lowndes Double Monk in Dark Brown Burnished Calf

7. Clark's Desert Boots/Chukkas in Sand Suede

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you gents source replacement shoe laces in high = similar to original quality? I just can't find any here locally (Indonesia), or online. The ones I got are aftermarket, and look/feel like it. Help appreciated.

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Hanger Project has some nice flat wound laces.

Thanks PB! For some reason, as soon as I read this it clicked in my head and I had a 'Duh!' moment. Should have thought of them! Even subscribed to their NL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads