• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Panama hats. Yes or no?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
No, it is a dated style.

I have a Montecristi super fino fedora blocked by Art Fawcett and I think it looks great. Of course, I also have a double-breasted suit....

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it is a dated style.
QFI Here's me in both a bowtie and a straw fedora (not technically a panama as it is not from montechristi ecuador)
panamap.jpg

Kamapuaa

Reaction score
No, straw hats look goofy and affected on anybody who hasn't retired yet.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it fits nicely and compliments your facial proportions I'm sure it would look fine. Off the rack hats look terrible on me, so I avoid them. If I had a Panama made I would probably wear it with a linen suit to avoid a burnt scalp.

A burnt bean is worse than anything your friends can say about your style.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, a few pictures of my Panama--bespoke from Optimo. I've had it almost three months so far. The box: The hat itself: A closeup of the weave: And the hat in full deployment:

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
No, it is a dated style.
BTL may be a nice guy, but he consistently gives the worst advice/commentary on the forum. That Optimo looks fantastic on VG (probably wouldn't work for me). I just picked up a felt fedora after months of trying-on in hat shops across the country. I picked mine up at Goorin Bros. in SF. Not top of the line, but works for my face shape, etc., and didn't cost too much for a hat that I likely bought twenty years too early.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^Love the hat. Optimo does such a nice job. Congratulations on a fine purchase, VG!

Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
BTL may be a nice guy, but he consistently gives the worst advice/commentary on the forum.

That Optimo looks fantastic on VG

Thanks for the kind words, gents!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ very nice hat, VG. is that new facial hair?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
^ very nice hat, VG. is that new facial hair?

It is, but not really of my volition. Over vacation, I grew a full beard, which prompted Mrs. Vintage Gent to remark how much she really wanted me to have a goatee. I wasn't in much of a position to deny her this, seeing as how she's cut her hair in Bettie Page bangs for me over the past five years.

Captain O

Reaction score
I love mine! I have two Panama Hats (A Stetson "Retro" and a Jaxon Panama). I also have a Stetson Shantung Straw Haberdash. (A trilby-style hat). I'll be wearing one of my Panamas to the bullfights in Tijuana Mexico.

Panama hats and Stetson Shantung Straw hats are fine. Just remember their limitations.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First time hat buyer here. I like the look of this:
https://www.jjhatcenter.com/products/the-bogart in ‘toast’, but I’m also wondering if packable would be better - taking it on our summer trips.

Is this a safe bet for entry level hatting? Toast or a more traditional off-white? Should I look at packable hats some more?

Last edited:

Captain O

Reaction score
Buy it and keep it in a hat box. (It is worth the trouble). It should keep you cool and happy all season.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time hat buyer here. I like the look of this:
https://www.jjhatcenter.com/products/the-bogart in ‘toast’, but I’m also wondering if packable would be better - taking it on our summer trips.

Is this a safe bet for entry level hatting? Toast or a more traditional off-white? Should I look at packable hats some more?

Are you collecting social security yet?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads