• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strategic Thinking???

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
ok, breathing life into this thread -

one of my reports has a lot of trouble thinking stratigically (or what I would call stratigic thinking). I need to teach him, or let him go. I would rather teach him.

seriously speaking - did what I wrote above (previous post, about my view on stratigic thinking) make sense to you? Anybody have a better view?

Yours is the mature version.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I guard that dartboard with my life!
laugh.gif
Seriously, assumptions, IMO, are the most important part of strategic thinking. Pure reality checks.

I would have to agree with this. As Globe's original career strategy example demonstrates, when distilled down from the MBA-babble, at root there's nothing particularly complex or intellectually challenging about strategic thinking -- in my experience, when people have difficulty forming a strategy, it's because they either aren't clear what the objective is, aren't fully committed to the objective, and/or they are making certain conscious or unconscious assumptions that are blinding them to potential steps toward the objective. Some of these assumptions may be rooted in deep-seated psychological issues, so in a workplace situation, you have to be really judicious about deciding how much to invest in someone who's resistant. Globe, you're a mensch, dude.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah, well, the problem isn't that I want him to think stratigically, the problem is that he hasn't been able to get more than a certain number out of his market for years using the skill set he has. all the evidence points to his biggest weakness being in stratigic planning. so, either I have to replace him, or I have to get more out of him, and the only way I think that I can get more out of his market is to have him work in a more stratigic way.

Globe,

You're a good man to take this sort of effort in helping him. Most sales managers I know would have moved on. Of course, most of these sales managers have likewise since moved on as well.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks, gentlemen

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
and/or they are making certain conscious or unconscious assumptions that are blinding them to potential steps toward the objective. Some of these assumptions may be rooted in deep-seated psychological issues, .

this is a problem that I think is very common.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had to decide whether to put this in "things that are pissing you off" or here.

so, this asshole report, that I have been trying hard to help out just resinged. not only did he resign, he fly into my HQ while I was out of town to give his letter of resignation to my CEO, and basically tell my CEO how he was quiting because I was pushing him to do things that he felt were not in the interest of the company. he didn't even bother to cc me on the letter of resignation, or to call or email me. and he didn't give any notice, leaving me with nobody to cover his territory.

that isn't even the whole ******* story - I was scheduling this trip to travel around with him to his territory in the summer, and made plans to send my famiy to my wife's mothers for the summer so I could focus on this guy, bought tickets for the trip, set up meetings and so on, and he drops out less than a week in advance, with no notice.

on top of that - he told us his computer was stolen, two weeks ago, and he ran 10K worth of "office expenses" through his expenses last month.

he showed up to the meeting with my CEO with a folder with all of my emails to him over the past 6 months, marked in color coded highlighters, showing how I was abusive to him and pushed him to work more than he should have.

as my boss said - if he had shown this much inititieve and stratigic thinking in his job, I would have been happy with him.

I am really, really pissed off.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I had to decide whether to put this in "things that are pissing you off" or here.

(...)

he showed up to the meeting with my CEO with a folder with all of my emails to him over the past 6 months, marked in color coded highlighters, showing how I was abusive to him and pushed him to work more than he should have.

as my boss said - if he had shown this much inititieve and stratigic thinking in his job, I would have been happy with him.

I am really, really pissed off.

I can see how you would be upset, but this guy sounds like a loser who was out to tread water and do nothing more than absolutely necessary. Better that he left on his own so you're not out any severance or unemployment claims, and you're free to hire someone far better for his territory.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that GT. I have had reports disappoint me before but rarely to that extent. Sounds like your CEO saw right through him though.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad news and a lousy way for him to quit, but in the long run, you're better off without him. It's good for you that your boss seems to know that the reality of the situation was not exactly as your report painted it.

I suggest you vent a little, then hire a replacement and move on. On the bright side, you may have some extra time with your family this summer (depending on your relationship with your MIL).

If I were your CEO, I would have insisted on seeing the police report documenting the theft of the laptop; otherwise, your report is liable for the cost. I'd also look carefully at his $10K of "business expenses". Something isn't right.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Bad news and a lousy way for him to quit, but in the long run, you're better off without him. It's good for you that your boss seems to know that the reality of the situation was not exactly as your report painted it.

I suggest you vent a little, then hire a replacement and move on. On the bright side, you may have some extra time with your family this summer (depending on your relationship with your MIL).

If I were your CEO, I would have insisted on seeing the police report documenting the theft of the laptop; otherwise, your report is liable for the cost. I'd also look carefully at his $10K of "business expenses". Something isn't right.

yeah, thanks, I'm actually happy to have the ***** gone, but I am pissed at how he did it.

and I had the company freeze all payments to him and asked for the police report and to clarify his expenses.

I am thinking of getting T-shirts made for my team

"the international team - culling the weak and the lazy from the heard, since 2006"

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear your nonperformer problem solved itself, but if you're going to immortalize the event on a shirt, spell it "herd" for nitpicky correctness.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
Glad to hear your nonperformer problem solved itself, but if you're going to immortalize the event on a shirt, spell it "herd" for nitpicky correctness.

good point

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am thinking of getting T-shirts made for my team

"the international team - culling the weak and the lazy from the heard, since 2006"

LOL.
laugh.gif

Glad you can now look on the bright side. In the long term, it's good to cut your losses and have him gone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads