• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strategic Deconditioning

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm currently following a HST routine using the following parameters:

2 weeks: 12 reps (2 sets each of 10 exercises every other day, cardio and body weight exercises during non-lifting days)
2 weeks: 9 reps
2 weeks: 6 reps
2 weeks: 6 rep max for each lifting session alternated with negatives.

HST recommends a 9-14 day strategic deconditioning period after the first 8 weeks. I don't feel that I'm overtraining or feel that worn down, will skipping this period and starting with 12 rep sets after a day or two of rest be beneficial for hypertrophy? I think it wouldn't be a terrible thing to get a start on cutting by doing cardio/body weight every day for 9 days or so, but I also feel like it might be sort of defeating the purpose since I'm going to be doing at least another 8 week cycle before I start cutting in earnest, and to that end, I'd like to build as much muscle as possible beforehand.

Thoughts?

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty intense program you're following. I guess as long as you are recuperating well in between lifting sessions and you are getting results, I say more power to you.

I followed a similar program (although not so intense) about two years ago and had initially decent improvements in strength and muscle size, but I got burnt out on it physically and mentally after a month or so. Now I just stick to working out each body part once a week doing 9 to 12 sets for 8-12 reps. Cardio 30 minutes 4 x week. This routine suits my small bone structure better - I've realized and come to accept that no matter how heavy I train my body does not build or hold on to muscle mass very efficiently.

Keep up the good work. I always admire people who try to improve their fitness and stay in good shape!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
Sounds like a pretty intense program you’re following. I guess as long as you are recuperating well in between lifting sessions and you are getting results, I say more power to you. I followed a similar program (although not so intense) about two years ago and had initially decent improvements in strength and muscle size, but I got burnt out on it physically and mentally after a month or so. Now I just stick to working out each body part once a week doing 9 to 12 sets for 8-12 reps. Cardio 30 minutes 4 x week. This routine suits my small bone structure better – I’ve realized and come to accept that no matter how heavy I train my body does not build or hold on to muscle mass very efficiently. Keep up the good work. I always admire people who try to improve their fitness and stay in good shape!
I dunno, I didn't find the six weeks I've been in the program to be all that challenging. It could be because I've made some gains and the "maxes" I picked weren't really 100% of my 6, 9, and 12 RMs. I also had a 3 month involuntary break before I started the program because of a wrist problem, so I feel that I'm pretty fresh. I think I might just do one calendar week of SD if I end up being tired, we'll see though. I started my 12RMs with low/moderate weight (185 on bench, 225 on squat, 155 on deadlift, for example) and you move up 5-10 lb per lifting day within the 3 month period, then start at a bit higher weight when you drop reps. I think I'm going to take a week off, then start the 12RM period with 40 lb more than the last cycle, then see where I stand by the end of the two weeks. If it's pretty hard, I'll drop down 30 lb or so to start the 8 rep period (which means I'll end about 30 lb more on 8RM than 12 RM) and if it's easy I'll just repeat the 12RM max as the starting point of the 8RM (which means I'll end 60 lb heavier) and same for 6RMs. This last cycle I dropped 30 lb from each, meaning I was @ 225 12RM, 255 8RM, 285 6RM, which was pretty damn easy, and I don't think it represents my real maxes in each of those categories. 40lb more should put me in the ballpark, most likely. I've typically been doing 2 mi of HIIT for my cardio, on off days, with increasing speed, which I think I will continue.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nyf
Out of curiosity, what do you like for HIIT?

I do HIIT on a 400m track at a campus near my house usually. I'll just sprint 400m, then walk 400m, repeating the process 3 times for a total of 2 total miles of distance. It doesn't take too long, by now I'm down to a bit over 20 minutes for the whole thing. I'm not going to do HIIT during the SD period, probably just walking on an incline treadmill and light body weight exercises to make sure I actually decondition hehe

smw356

Reaction score
I may be completely off here but I think if trying to acheive neuromuscular deconditioning replacing the HIIT with some sort of steady state medium intensity cardio during that period might help that process and also help keep metabolic expenditure from dropping during this period too heavily.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
I may be completely off here but I think if trying to acheive neuromuscular deconditioning replacing the HIIT with some sort of steady state medium intensity cardio during that period might help that process and also help keep metabolic expenditure from dropping during this period too heavily.

Yeah, like I said in the post above this one, I'm not doing to do HIIT during the SD, instead I'm just going to do incline treadmill.

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Yeah, like I said in the post above this one, I'm not doing to do HIIT during the SD, instead I'm just going to do incline treadmill.

yeah i should have finished reading the thread

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads