• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stranger compliments

markjd

Reaction score
I was wearing a pair of well polished AE Byron in chilli color with taps on heal and toe. As I was walking past the supermarket a drunk/stoned guy noticed them and said, "Nice shoes, mate!"

To which I replied with a broad smile, "Thanks".

His next comment was, "How tall are you?", shortly followed by, "Do you have a big willy?"

At that point, I realized there was not much point in continuing the conversation LOL

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Black people seem more appreciative of clothing--most of my compliments were from black people.

This is true. I wore my seersucker out in DC last week and got 3 compliments from various black men, but I also got one from a female tourist visiting the area from Atlanta. One guy yelled from across the street, "THAT BROTHAS GOT A SEERSUCKER ON! DAMN THAT ****'S TIGHT!"
laugh.gif

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black people seem more appreciative of clothing--most of my compliments were from black people.
Agreed 100%.

I get most if not all my compliments at lunch time while walking to get a bite to eat. Like yesterday, one of the downtown cleaning people said to me: "that suit looks sharp, my man."

batorizer

Reaction score
there's a black guy around the office I work in that compliments me on my alden and trickers boots. Actually, the trickers have gotten more comments than the rest of my stuff combined. But even the top managers wear fused suits and cheaps shoes (we're talkin gs-14s and 15s). I do like getting compliments, as well as giving them when I see something I like.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happens all the time at the office, but I feel it has more to do with the general decline in business dress that makes a person stand out if they make half an effort.

Unit 91

Reaction score
I get compliments from coworkers often. Strangers seem to notice my wedding band and watches (not all worn at once of course) more than anything else.

devin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by batorizer
(we're talkin gs-14s and 15s).

Even those at the top of the GS scale are not sartorial or financial ballers, I'm surprised they even wear suits vs. polo/slacks.

I try to always wear a suit when I fly for work. On a weekend, that almost always draws a compliment and has even kicked off a few good conversations.

datasupa

Reaction score
Glasses, watch, and boots get compliments the most. A shoe shine guy once praised my Trickers as I passed.

Reborn

Reaction score
C&J Monks for Barney's in Chestnut.

People love these shoes. It's the only shoe I have that gets other young guys to ask me what they are and where to get them. College kid followed me into the bagel shop to ask about them.

Other then that I get a lot of compliments on the fit of Black Label on me. Heavy set latina tellers at the bank in particular.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i think they're often well aware of high quality clothes, i know Jay-Z has rapped about RLPL as well as Versace, DKNY, Gucci, D&G, Prada, Burberry, ect.

I know alot of Black and Spanish guys that aspire to be fly, one of my spanish friends was looking for Oxxford suits on ebay.

"Its probly Purple Label, you know, that BBC ****"

batorizer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by devin
Even those at the top of the GS scale are not sartorial or financial ballers, I'm surprised they even wear suits vs. polo/slacks.

heh, when friday hits, most lose the suit and go casual. But you're right, they probably spend most of their money on golf and airplanes rather than worry about clothes.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to get most of my compliments while waiting to cross a street...usually to the effect of "I really like your look"...and it tends to be mostly other well dressed men.

Then there was the other day while paying for an order at FedEx Kinkos when the girl behind the counter said "damn you smell good!"
blush.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It sounds a total stereotype, but it's been my personal experience too. Women of any race will compliment a look, but from men, I only tend to get compliments from either black or Mediterranean-origin guys. At the very least, they're certaintly more open & secure in being vocal about the appreciation of a good look rather than being afraid to be labelled "****" like some white men seem to tend to be. Sorry to be so generalising about this, but that's been my personal experience.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rarely get compliments but my experience has been that black people are more likely to give a compliment. I generally do not come into contact with black people on a regular daily basis in this neck of the woods but when I do, the compliments seem to be abundant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads