stranger compliments

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stevejobs, Jul 8, 2008.

1. stevejobs

stevejobs Senior member

When was the last time a stranger complimented you (men only) on your wardrobe as you were wearing it? Retail salesmen and business clients excluded. Do you even care for compliments?

2. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

i'm a new intern at my office, started a month ago. i dress "better" than all my peers, and while i get no actual comments, everyone always eye me up and down whenever they start talking to me. i find it both disturbing and finding myself feeling strangely smug. one of the hotter women at the office, late 30's, did comment on how "cute" my office was, which to me was more of a diss than a compliment, but i think she meant well. [​IMG]

3. lordofpi

lordofpi Senior member

Just the other day, as often happens, I was complimented on my shoes being polished (not on the shoes themselves.). I guess the rest of the world is too busy to bother with such a mundane task? Also, I often get compliments on my hats, but I wouldn't count this too much since a hat is a rarity these days.

I hope I don't get to the point in life where I don't like to be complimented. Besides, it can often be an ice-breaker into meeting new people you otherwise might not have engaged.

4. AlmostSmart

AlmostSmart Senior member

If I notice someone when I'm travelling who I think deserves sartorial praise I will.

Sometimes it can be the suit, sometimes the colour coordination and sometimes even the tie knot that particularly goes well with the shirt collar. Occasionally a guy looks at me without saying anything, probably thinking I'm weird, but most of the time I do get a 'thank you', and it has led to more of an indepth conversation, so much so that one guy does look out for me at the station and travels in with me if we do meet up. [​IMG]

5. Shraka

Shraka Senior member

Yesterday: "You're looking sharp today."

I get it pretty much every day that I wear a suit, and often multiple time a day. It's not hard to look sharp next to people who work or study at a university though.

6. Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Nico Samuel Pleninsek Senior member

I was walking down the street last week while wearing my patent opera pumps with a little bow, and this black kid who was probably 14-15 said, "Man those shoes are tight as fuck, tight as fuck."

7. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Senior member

Often when conducting my daily business by kindly older african american women.

8. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

I was walking down the street last week while wearing my patent opera pumps with a little bow, and this black kid who was probably 14-15 said, "Man those shoes are tight as fuck, tight as fuck."

The young man has excellent taste if a somewhat poopy mouth.

I usually try to tell someone I think x, y or z looks good if it catches my eye. It might make their day and I certainly enjoyed being able to see it.

As for compliments received ... well I get some on SF, I guess you weirdos are strangers too [​IMG]

9. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

The young man has excellent taste if a somewhat poopy mouth.
    I've heard that said of edmorel...
    Occasionally a guy looks at me without saying anything, probably thinking I'm weird...
    What is up with that? I complimented a guy once on his umbrella and he turned and gave me this blank stare. WTF? I wanted to say "Um... 'Thanks'? Is that the word you're searching for?"

10. fox in sox

fox in sox Senior member

Everytime I wear my brown Canali suit, I get compliments on the color/fit. [​IMG] On the other hand, I find it a bit off-putting when girls call my Filson field bag "cute" - happened to me twice. [​IMG]

11. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

This morning whilst waiting for my coffee.

I find that as soon as I break the ice by being forward with a compliment the return with a specific compliment.. Usually about my tie, pens or watch..

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Black people seem more appreciative of clothing--most of my compliments were from black people.

13. Harry Lean

Harry Lean Senior member

l get compliments from men from time to time. l don't like getting comments.

14. sanrensho

sanrensho Senior member

Last three compliments I can remember

1. Glasses (several people)
    2. RM Willams boots (guy in my office building)
    3. Blue Zegna tie (several people)

I don't mind compliments and I give them out myself. I think they grease the wheels of society.

15. dboll

dboll Senior member

I get compliments from strangers all the time. The most recent being from a young waitress on my pocket square while out to lunch with a friend. I find I get compliments most often on my shoes and pocket squares. I also get the generic, "You look stylish/sharp," all the time.