• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straight razors

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
Curious, does anyone have/use a straight razor? I am thinking of trying one, but am scared that I would slice my jugular wide open.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
On the occasions which I think somebody will be watching me shave (say, perhaps the lovely lady who I awoke next to) I sometimes use my Benchmade pocket knife to show her I'm a little different than other guys. Of course, I spend an hour sharpening it the day before, but still I wouldn't reccomend doing it everyday.
I'm sure straight razors are a little more comfortable as they are made for that purpose. Just keep it nice and sharp.
Kudos to you for opting to 'go against the grain' with your shaving products (deliciously clever pun fully intended).

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's really brave of you... there is a reason why people don't use them anymore... I got a free shave in Barney's once by the Art of Shaving people, and they cut my face to ribbons. If they can't do it right, I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've had a couple of straight razor shaves at the barber shop. the first two times they cut me all over the place, but i did get a close shave. the third time he didn't draw blood once, but i had to shave again when i got home.
mad.gif
if you're going for looks, why not try one of the old fashioned safety razors. i've never used one, but they do look cool.

DC_Brit

Reaction score
I think this requires a lot of practice and skill. I used to own one. I so wanted this to work and to free me from regular payments to the Gilette company. I had great enthusiasm and willingness to practice. But I met with failure. I just could not seem to get it sharp enough, or perhaps angle the blade right. It felt incredibly rough and I gave up after 4 tries, feeling rather foolish. Since then I have welcomed the simplicity of keeping up with technology, though lamenting the passing of some elegance, independence, and funds...

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am no longer thinking of buying a straight razor.
wink.gif

mbc

Reaction score
When I was in college (which wasn't too long ago), my roommate at the time decided to purchase a straight razor. I think he felt that it would complete him as a man, or something. Anyhow, the number of scars lining his upper lip and chin were absolutely staggering in the weeks following that purchase. I'm sure they weren't permanent, but that seems a rather high price to pay for terribly little reward.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I recently started using a straight razor, since a regular disposable is too wide to shave around my "unorthadox" facial hair, and haven't drawn blood once. To avoid sharpening, I use one that takes disposable blades, and I had my grandfather (a retired barber) show me how to hold the razor. I use the Art of Shave Pre-shave Oil, Shaving Cream, and Aftershave balm and the combination of good products and the straight razor have provided me with the closest, most comfortable shave I've ever had. I didn't feel that it was too hard to learn, and I actually did a better job my first time than the lady that shaved me at Art of Shaving (although she was good, considering that she had to work around my goatee and sideburns). Not only is this THE closest shave I've ever experienced, but it's also cured me of the dreaded razor burn, and made me look cool doing it.
biggrin.gif

BigJorge

Reaction score
I get my sideburns and back of neck done with a straight razor at the barber shop I goto, and never once had a problem, looks damn good too... i don't think i could do it myself though on the other hand, save it for the pro's

MisterK

Reaction score
I used a straight razor for a couple of weeks. Naturally I cut myself a couple of times (not badly) but that was not the problem...

It took me about 1 hour to shave. Oi vey. That's just too long.

So now I'm back to using the Mach 3. At least now I have a good badger brush + soap, and macho bragging rights to say I "know" how to shave with a straight razor, and have done so.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I had a straight razor shave at a barbershop once, and wasn't all that impressed. I'll stick with my Mach 3 - in the case of shaving, I have to say that technology and innovation is a good thing.

Bradford

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads