1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Straight Razor vs DE razor

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Jabal-Tariq, Nov 22, 2012.

1. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior member

I shave with both (depending on the day) and I'd say there is a difference... I find the frame of the safety razor touching the skin makes it harder to get as close a shave with a DE as with a straight-edge. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's harder. For everyday shaves when I can't spend 20 minutes, I have no doubt that the DE doesn't get as close as the cutthroat. All the things you mentioned (hair type, skin type...) no doubt contribute to whether you get ingrown hairs. I may be old-school, but I swear by a simple aftershave.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

you missed my point. if you lop off the hair, it doesn't matter to the hair what type of metal you used to do it. if you gouge your skin with a straight or a de, its still gouged.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think you're missing the point. A safety razor is called a safety razor for a reason. It limits the angle and closeness of the blade. A straight razor is all blade letting you get as close as possible. Straight razor shaves are smoother because they can cut closer.

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Yep. Also consider the angle of attack: a straight tends to allow for a raking kind of cut which flattens the blade slightly. Not to say that you couldn't take a raking cut on a DE, but most people pull straight down the handle.

FWIW, ingrown hairs happen because they're cut too flush to the skin and curl back under. I got them all the time with my dad's norelco. Lift-and-cut FTL.

5. patrickBOOTH

The reason in-grown hairs are so common with contemporary multi-blades is because it is actually in the design to lift and cut. I remember a long time ago finding the patent for the mach three and it is basically what gives everybody ingrown hairs. But hey, it's a smooth shave!

6. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I use a parker shavette with shark blades. It takes a while to get comfortable, but I can fly through it now. It requires work to get it close, but once you do, it stays smoother much longer than a multi-cartridge.

7. jonms94

jonms94 Member

In my opinion, straight razor is really close, but my barber told me it took him at least a year to master.
    DE'd for me took me 10 minutes and is just as close if you take the time.

8. Wooster

Wooster New Member

I have switched to SE. It does a really smooth shave, but so did my vibrating multiblade, and sometimes I do the finish on the neck with the multiblade. As for ingrown hairs, I've never had that problem.

But I have gone over to the SE side. Why? Well, it is not just about the result. I love the process of manly self-grooming, time to just myself and tinkering with a very simple task. It is all about aesthetics.

9. Dink

Dink New Member

Is it possible it sucked because "professionals" don't use true straight razors, but shavette's? You're on here bashing straight razors when you have NOT ACTUALLY EVER USED ONE. The so called "straight razor" your professional was using was basically a DE blade in a shavette holder.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. patrickBOOTH

Awesome first post! Welcome to Style Forum and enjoy your stay!

Nope, not a shavette, was a full straight edge. Why would you come on here and even make such an assumption? Seems ignorant, and insecure. Straight edge razors cut too close and therefore give in-grown hairs, and therefore, suck. Not rocket science, just logic and a little bit of high school physics.

11. Dink

Dink New Member

May I ask the name of this establishment at which you obtained this straight razor shave? I can't think of any state/local laws (in the Northeast at least) that would allow the use of an actual straight edge.

12. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

It is a health code violation to use true straight razor in every place I've come across in the US. In NYC shaving cream must be applied with the hand or a disposable brush.
    Barbershop shaves are a waste of money as they try and sell you the idea you are getting a straight razor when, in fact, you are just getting a shave with a disposable blade.

13. Wooster

Wooster New Member

14. patrickBOOTH

Art of Shaving and NY Shaving company were the places.

15. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

which isn't really that big a deal. You can still get a very close shave and it actually requires more talent as the disposable blades are generally a bit sharper.

I shave with a Shavette every day and find it pretty damn good.

16. Dink

Dink New Member

Art of Shaving doesn't use real straight razors, they use shavette's with disposable blades.

17. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

Out of curiosity, if you're using a shavette, why not just use a straight?

18. patrickBOOTH

I don't see the difference. The angle is exactly the same. There is so restriction like with a safety razor.

19. Dink

Dink New Member

The above statement has just closed the argument in my favor. I forgot that this forum is not a traditional wet shaving forum like Badger and Blade or Straight Razor Place. There is a difference. Goodbye.

20. The Rural Juror

The Rural Juror Senior member

People often use shavettes because sharpening or honing a straight can be difficult.