• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straight Razor vs DE razor

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

it certainly is a weird place, but I have found the traditional style soaps to be much better on my skin and easier to shave with.

I shave every day, but go against orthodoxy by only doing one pass, with the grain. Sure I don't get "baby butt smooth" (jesus did I mention that place is weird?) but I also don't get ingrown hairs, the cause of which is cutting one's hair too short so that it grows beneath the surface.

I do two passes with the grain.

Nothing better in my mind than a good old fashioned straight razor shave. I've used DEs and straights alternately over the past few years....I've solidy come down on the side of straights. With a little practice, a little patience, and a little care, you'll never shave with anything else. Yes, you'll cut yourself a few times, to be sure, but you will also gain more control a better shave, and ultimately feel cleaner and more together to start your day.

Sure they are the smoothest, but depending on how your beard grows they are the recipe for ingrown hairs. Straight razor shaves suck.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your getting ingrown hairs, your blade angle is incorrect you're cutting below the skin surface. Could also be your pre-shave prep, face lathering helps.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have only ever gotten it done professionally. So either they professionally suck, or straight razor shaves suck. Maybe both?

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have only ever gotten it done professionally. So either they professionally suck, or straight razor shaves suck. Maybe both?

If you normally use a cartridge blade you will have some irritation the first time you use a DE or straight razor. Once your face is use to the razors, you'll receive very smooth results with no ingrown hairs. Of course, the barber could have sucked. Not many do straight razor shaves these days.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Genos Barbaria in the East Village. Ask for Peter.

Granted, a shave and a haircut will run you 80 plus tip, it is very, very worth it.

You're always talking about your hair, where do you get it cut?

mixProtocol

Reaction score
If you're looking to try your hand at straight shaving, you might want to buy a "shavette" (like the Parker SR1). They're inexpensive and take DE blades (split in half).

/mP

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you normally use a cartridge blade you will have some irritation the first time you use a DE or straight razor. Once your face is use to the razors, you'll receive very smooth results with no ingrown hairs. Of course, the barber could have sucked. Not many do straight razor shaves these days.

No. I have been using DE for years. I stand by my SR opinion. Smooth, yes. Ingrown hairs, plenty. It isn't rocket science to understand that the closer you cut hair the more likely they will turn into ingrown ones, especially if your hair doesn't grow straight out of the follicle.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Genos Barbaria in the East Village. Ask for Peter.

Granted, a shave and a haircut will run you 80 plus tip, it is very, very worth it.

You're always talking about your hair, where do you get it cut?

I get it cut by a guy who has moved around quite often.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

No. I have been using DE for years. I stand by my SR opinion. Smooth, yes. Ingrown hairs, plenty. It isn't rocket science to understand that the closer you cut hair the more likely they will turn into ingrown ones, especially if your hair doesn't grow straight out of the follicle.

who teaches you this ****? there is no difference between a cut hair with a de and a cut hair with a straight. so long as they cut all the hair off above the skinline, they're cut. period. whether you get ingrowns has to do with your hair type (if its likely to curl back under the skin growth), the rate at which you regrow skin relative to the rate at which your hair grows, and how badly you butcher your face while shaving.

now, is it more likely that someone could butcher their face with a straight as opposed to a DE? obviously.

mixProtocol

Reaction score
... there is no difference between a cut hair with a de and a cut hair with a straight...

I shave with both (depending on the day) and I'd say there is a difference... I find the frame of the safety razor touching the skin makes it harder to get as close a shave with a DE as with a straight-edge. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's harder. For everyday shaves when I can't spend 20 minutes, I have no doubt that the DE doesn't get as close as the cutthroat. All the things you mentioned (hair type, skin type...) no doubt contribute to whether you get ingrown hairs. I may be old-school, but I swear by a simple aftershave.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I shave with both (depending on the day) and I'd say there is a difference... I find the frame of the safety razor touching the skin makes it harder to get as close a shave with a DE as with a straight-edge. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's harder. For everyday shaves when I can't spend 20 minutes, I have no doubt that the DE doesn't get as close as the cutthroat. All the things you mentioned (hair type, skin type...) no doubt contribute to whether you get ingrown hairs. I may be old-school, but I swear by a simple aftershave
ir
you missed my point. if you lop off the hair, it doesn't matter to the hair what type of metal you used to do it. if you gouge your skin with a straight or a de, its still gouged.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you're missing the point. A safety razor is called a safety razor for a reason. It limits the angle and closeness of the blade. A straight razor is all blade letting you get as close as possible. Straight razor shaves are smoother because they can cut closer.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I think you're missing the point. A safety razor is called a safety razor for a reason. It limits the angle and closeness of the blade. A straight razor is all blade letting you get as close as possible. Straight razor shaves are smoother because they can cut closer.

Yep. Also consider the angle of attack: a straight tends to allow for a raking kind of cut which flattens the blade slightly. Not to say that you couldn't take a raking cut on a DE, but most people pull straight down the handle.

FWIW, ingrown hairs happen because they're cut too flush to the skin and curl back under. I got them all the time with my dad's norelco. Lift-and-cut FTL.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The reason in-grown hairs are so common with contemporary multi-blades is because it is actually in the design to lift and cut. I remember a long time ago finding the patent for the mach three and it is basically what gives everybody ingrown hairs. But hey, it's a smooth shave!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads