1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Straight Razor vs DE razor

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Jabal-Tariq, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

It means that you can order a 100 at a time and be set for a year or two. it's not difficult to buy over the internet and west coast shaving is top notch, as is bull goose. Also, Walmart and CVS carries DE blades.

I use a DE during the week and a straight on the weekend when I have more time to shave.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. marmot8

marmot8 Well-Known Member

to Patrick: did you find the DE to be an improvement over cartridge razors with regard to ingrowns?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  3. CTJoyce

CTJoyce Member

I don't know that I would agree with this. I started with puck of D.R. Harris Lavendar and a puck of Stroppe Shop Black Tie tallow. I have hard water so I knew lathering was going to be difficult no matter what, however after multiple different attempts including a distilled water shave I still prefer the lather I get from a mixture of TOBS Avocado and Pre de Provence's Shea butter cream. Soap vs cream has a lot to do with the water you have as well as skin type more than soap is better than cream.

That said soaps will last you a lot longer than cream. I shave about 3 times a week with my straight and seem to go through one tub of TOBS every 5 months vs my soaps that it took a year of shaving to even make a noticeable dent in them. My recommendation for newbies is get a puck of soap and a 75ml tube of cream, shave with both and see what yo like better.

1 person likes this.
  4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, in short. I also go against a lot of the die hard badger and blade groupthink. Multiblade cartridge always cuts too short and there aren't many that are actually sharper than a good feather blade. I swear by my Lush Prince shaving cream too. Anything that could possibly be good for your skin is in the stuff. It takes a bit to get used to using it because it doesn't foam, but I am a lifer with it. Also, FWIW I only shave once with a blade before I change it. Fresh shave, fresh blade. Some people might gawk at this, but then again a sharp blade is the #1 to a good shave. Also, I don't shave every day so that makes a difference as well. Every other day for me.

5. Cuttingboard

That's exactly what B&B thinks...they hate multiblades and love a sharp feather blade!

6. patrickBOOTH

They also love this ritualistic soaping up a bowl and shaving with that. I on the other hand thing it is a bunch of hoo-ha compared with modern shaving creams. Just because something is old doesn't make it better.

7. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

it certainly is a weird place, but I have found the traditional style soaps to be much better on my skin and easier to shave with.

I shave every day, but go against orthodoxy by only doing one pass, with the grain. Sure I don't get "baby butt smooth" (jesus did I mention that place is weird?) but I also don't get ingrown hairs, the cause of which is cutting one's hair too short so that it grows beneath the surface.

8. Mr Martini

Mr Martini Senior member

I think for most people the safety razor is the gateway drug to the straight. Im thinking about picking one up, my only concern is that i have never been particularly good at sharpening anything.

9. Cuttingboard

True and vice versa! I find that I get a much better shave with badger brush and Gillette DE razor than when I used Keihl's or Zirh and a multi cartridge razor. And I really enjoy using Acqua di Parma and Santa Maria Novella shave cream.

10. globetrotterjon

globetrotterjon New Member

Nothing better in my mind than a good old fashioned straight razor shave. I've used DEs and straights alternately over the past few years....I've solidy come down on the side of straights. With a little practice, a little patience, and a little care, you'll never shave with anything else. Yes, you'll cut yourself a few times, to be sure, but you will also gain more control a better shave, and ultimately feel cleaner and more together to start your day.

11. patrickBOOTH

I do two passes with the grain.

Sure they are the smoothest, but depending on how your beard grows they are the recipe for ingrown hairs. Straight razor shaves suck.

12. Cuttingboard

If your getting ingrown hairs, your blade angle is incorrect you're cutting below the skin surface. Could also be your pre-shave prep, face lathering helps.

1 person likes this.
  13. Cuttingboard

Double post.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  14. patrickBOOTH

I have only ever gotten it done professionally. So either they professionally suck, or straight razor shaves suck. Maybe both?

15. Cuttingboard

If you normally use a cartridge blade you will have some irritation the first time you use a DE or straight razor. Once your face is use to the razors, you'll receive very smooth results with no ingrown hairs. Of course, the barber could have sucked. Not many do straight razor shaves these days.

16. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Genos Barbaria in the East Village. Ask for Peter.

Granted, a shave and a haircut will run you 80 plus tip, it is very, very worth it.

You're always talking about your hair, where do you get it cut?

17. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior member

If you're looking to try your hand at straight shaving, you might want to buy a "shavette" (like the Parker SR1). They're inexpensive and take DE blades (split in half).

/mP

18. patrickBOOTH

No. I have been using DE for years. I stand by my SR opinion. Smooth, yes. Ingrown hairs, plenty. It isn't rocket science to understand that the closer you cut hair the more likely they will turn into ingrown ones, especially if your hair doesn't grow straight out of the follicle.

19. patrickBOOTH

I get it cut by a guy who has moved around quite often.

20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

who teaches you this shit? there is no difference between a cut hair with a de and a cut hair with a straight. so long as they cut all the hair off above the skinline, they're cut. period. whether you get ingrowns has to do with your hair type (if its likely to curl back under the skin growth), the rate at which you regrow skin relative to the rate at which your hair grows, and how badly you butcher your face while shaving.

now, is it more likely that someone could butcher their face with a straight as opposed to a DE? obviously.

1 person likes this.