• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straight Razor vs DE razor

Jabal-Tariq

Reaction score
For those who have used both, which gives the better shave for you?

Satorialist

Reaction score
In seeking the closest, smoothest shave possible; I occasionally use a DE razor (a Merkur).

There's a learning curve. Among other considerations (quality of DE razor blade, type of razor head), the blade must be held at the correct angle (30 degrees for most Merkur's) consistently across every contour of your face. If done correctly the results can be outstanding. But doing it correctly also requires you to slow down, can't rush a shave with a DE razor.

...have yet to master it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They both give excellent results when used properly. A straight features a steeper learning curve and a LOT more maintenance, though. FWIW, I've been using the straight since 2006 or so.

Last edited:

CodPiece

Reaction score
(to Thomas) Have you really? I've wanted to learn straightedge but the learning curve seems daunting. Did you go from DE to straight? Where do the benefits come in?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I used DE for about a month or two, and then jumped to straight. It took a few days for my hand to stop shaking, I think it was a couple of weeks before I started switching hands, and I cut myself every day for the first month. Sharpening it was pretty easy for me, though - I had experience with knives and carpentry tools so I had everything I needed to get a keen edge.

Benefits: I haven't needed to buy a razor or replacement blades - and can't foresee that need coming up again, ever. After that, there aren't really any tangible benefits. My skin was never bad, I don't have an especially thick or wiry beard, it certainly isn't a time-saver (though I am efficient with it). It was just one of those skills I wanted to master.

FWIW, I can't take the razors anywhere and certainly can't leave them lying about.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thomas,

Any recommendations for straight razor brands? I know for DEs, people recommend merkur but I'm thinking of going with a straight razor.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I'm not up-to-date on the market, but what I knew was that as for new makes, among major manufacturers there's Dovo and Thiers-Issard and that's about it. As I've heard, T-I's build quality has gotten much better in the past 3-4 years - or, when they introduced the Silverwing model.

There are a number of boutique / low-run makers: Bill Ellis, Mastro Livi, Tim Zowada, Heribert Wacker. Opinions vary but they're generally shades of enthusiastic. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

As for older/vintage razors - if it's in good condition, it's probably a great shaver. You can get restored razors from Billy's Blades and the associated fora (SRP, et al) or go the ebay route. Brands almost don't matter at that point - some of the best shavers I've gotten are names I'd never before heard of.

Remember, for a long time straight razors were pretty much the only thing you shaved with, so quality had to be good no matter who made them.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been DE shaving for a year now. I use a Muhle R41 (most aggressive razor on the market) and Feather blades (sharpest blades on the market). Great shave. I switch the blade after every shave. Don't care as they are $0.20 each. Provides me with a smooth shave every time. 3 passes: WTG, XTG, ATG.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Benefits: I haven't needed to buy a razor or replacement blades - and can't foresee that need coming up again, ever.

Assuming a DE means a safety razor then the things last forever. I stole mine from my father almost forty years ago . It's just harder today finding blades.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does that prove? You can go online and find parts for a 63 Studebaker. Doesn't mean it's not harder to find parts today.

zatarregaza

Reaction score
Unlike Studebaker parts they're not limited as far as production goes (or out of production altogether) and there are lots of different manufacturers out there. Its hard to find them at a brick and mortar store, but can be found rather easily on quite a few online sites.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It depends on how your beard grows, but for me I don't like straight razors because they cut too close. When I get a perfectly smooth shave I get ingrown hairs like a mofo. I use a DE and only shave with and across the grain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads