• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straight leg jeans: how much stacking?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, I know that the real answer to this is however much I want. However, I want to know what is recommended, and what looks "right" on a jean like the Acne Mic or Nudie Straight Sven. As of now, there is a ton of stacking on my two pairs (I always go for a 34 length to be safe). What would be deemed appropriate for such jeans?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how tall are you, or how long is your legs?

I have a 30 real inseam, 34 jeans is good for me. 36 is too much.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Your true inseem is when your jeans are just above the ground when standing barefoot. People normally add two inches to that for a stacked look.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally go with something close to what shonen just said. I measure the jean with shoes until it would be about 0.25" from the ground while standing upright (of course this requires pulling it down, since it will stack) then add 2" to that.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For me it depends most on the width at the hem, because wider jeans will drag while smaller/tapered jeans will stack on top of the shoe. With my Uniqlo selvage or HL bootcut which are both pretty straight, I prefer less stacking. I think a big baggy pile at the shoe just looks sloppy as opposed to stacking on a slim jean which looks intentional for some reason.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
For me it depends most on the width at the hem, because wider jeans will drag while smaller/tapered jeans will stack on top of the shoe. With my Uniqlo selvage or HL bootcut which are both pretty straight, I prefer less stacking. I think a big baggy pile at the shoe just looks sloppy as opposed to stacking on a slim jean which looks intentional for some reason.

Well, the Uniqlos (if you're talking about the greenlines) seem to have as big a leg opening as most bootcuts IMO so I don't know that you can stack it too much, I just hemmed them 0.25" above the ground with my highest shoes.

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
First of all, I wish this thread was around about 2 months ago. I had a pair of slim-ish jeans hemmed, and although I'm okay with how they stack, I would've had the tailors add an inch or so.

Anyway, I now think that for a straight, or slim fitting jean, I think just enough so that even when I'm sitting, you still can't see sock. I think that's enough stack when standing.

Nothing

Reaction score
I like 0 stacking, i.e. the jeans have a very slight break in the front and that's it. For me personally, I think stacking looks like your jeans are too long for you.

N.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0 stacking makes your jeans look too short.

Nothing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
0 stacking makes your jeans look too short.

Not if the leg opening is the proper size. Too narrow an opening, and your jeans will fall near the laces or tongue of your shoe, which causes pre-mature stacking. I think the proper width of a jean leg opening will have the jean falling at the walking-crease of your shoe... then there will be a little more jean left to cause the break, and this will correspond to a length of jean that covers about half the heel of your shoe (a standard 1" heel). If you like the whole heel covered, a good tailer can fix your jeans such that they are hemmed at an angle where the front is shorter than the back.

N.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah... it all depends on the cut...

on slim jeans... less than a 21cm hem... i like at least an extra 2".

on something baggier, id have no stack.

since all my jeans are about 20cm hems, i go with the stack.

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
2 inch stack imho. On something baggier, no stack...unless of course you ride a skateboard after you get home from school lol.

Say

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeansandtshirt
2 inch stack imho. On something baggier, no stack...unless of course you ride a skateboard after you get home from school lol.

agreed on the 2in stacking... thats how i usually rock my raw denim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads