straight from the bench

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DWFII, Oct 13, 2010.

1. ohm

ohm Senior member

These are excellent, thank you for posting.

2. ajv

ajv Senior member

Adrian,

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Did you mean "scales?" If so, I was always taught that a tanned alligator, like snakeskin and lizard has no scales. They are removed. What's left are called "tiles"...or sometimes in the case of snake, "petals."

If you meant "squales" in reference to the spaces between the tiles...I don't think I've heard that term before. But I have to tell you that I fiddled and fiddled with various pieces of gator until I came up with that layout. Even with better pieces, closer to the belly or throat, nothing looked as good. I think it elevates these into the realm of acceptable...if not elegant.

That and the fact they're not purple.[​IMG]

Jeebus,
    First there was a typing error, i.e. squales (I know it's a fish) instead of scales.
    And then I learn that what we call scales (in French) for that sort of skin is called "tiles" in English.

Good thing is, I shall go to bed less stupid than when I woke up and with a very nice image on my eyes' screen of your latest piece of art.

Adrian

3. ohm

ohm Senior member

Jeebus,
    First there was a typing error, i.e. squales (I know it's a fish) instead of scales.
    And then I learn that what we call scales (in French) for that sort of skin is called "tiles" in English.

Good thing is, I shall go to bed less stupid than when I woke up and with a very nice image on my eyes' screen of your latest piece of art.

Adrian

I think it is still called scales in english until it is made into a shoe at which point it is tiles. The living animal has scales. The skin has tiles.

4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Jeebus, First there was a typing error, i.e. squales (I know it's a fish) instead of scales. And then I learn that what we call scales (in French) for that sort of skin is called "tiles" in English. Good thing is, I shall go to bed less stupid than when I woke up and with a very nice image on my eyes' screen of your latest piece of art. Adrian
    Well, thanks again, but don't feel too bad. I bet if you talked to a French tanner they'd tell you that reptile leather...not the animal itself...has tiles instead of scales. The scales were there. But they are perishable, so they are removed before tanning. What is left--the skin/"bed" that the scales were mounted on--is called the tile. If you've ever knocked the scales off a fish...you are not only familiar with the process but the reason. Like I said, on snakeskin what is left after the scale is knocked off is sometimes called the "petal.'

5. DWFII

I think it is still called scales in english until it is made into a shoe at which point it is tiles. The living animal has scales. The skin has tiles.
    You're right but it doesn't have to be made into a shoe...just into leather.

6. hermes man

hermes man Senior member

cool shoes did u made it yourself?

7. DWFII

cool shoes did u made it yourself?
    Thank you. Yes, of course.

8. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Those are some truly beautiful shoes, DW. My only regret is that you're over there (USA) and I'm over here (Australia). You're an artist and craftsman of the very highest order.

9. DWFII

DW, these shoes are breathtaking. Great craftsmanship everywhere ... hats off to your skill. The owner is a really lucky soul.
    Sri, Thanks. I've always said that a maker should look for three things that he can improve upon with every pair. No more than three lest he fall prey to discouragement and no less than three for fear of overweening pride. Fortunately I've been in the business long enough that I can choose three from the multitude without too much discouragement.

10. DWFII

Those are some truly beautiful shoes, DW. My only regret is that you're over there (USA) and I'm over here (Australia). You're an artist and craftsman of the very highest order.
    Well, thank you very much. I don't do "Art" but I'm working on my craftsmanship. When the day comes that I have to make a deliberate mistake so as not to challange God, I'll start thinking about art. [​IMG]

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Well, it looks like art to my ignorant eyes [​IMG] Craftsmanship is a given. If I'm ever over there (my wife's family is from California and still lives there), maybe I can make the trip up to see you.

12. DWFII

Since a few people started out commenting on the shape and the lines of the shoe, I thought I would post a couple of photos of the lasts that I made these on. The lasts I designed, shaped and had digitalized into three different heel heights. This is the 8/8ths inch model... [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Pretty cool shoes and lasts. The trees also look interesting; would you mind posting some pics of those?

14. DWFII

Pretty cool shoes and lasts. The trees also look interesting; would you mind posting some pics of those?
    Wes, Aw, heck, they're just an old pair of spring front trees ...very commercial...that I picked up on Ebay. Didn't even have a knob or a ring to pull the hinged heels up. But they were my size, so I just added a leather pull strap. I don't know what it is about trees...I can't get my lastmaker to turn custom trees, or even good, sized trees and I don't really care for the cedar trees being made these days. I look for trees that go back to the '30's and '40's and sand them down and refinish them.

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member