• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STP Tricker's

spence

Reaction score
So I bought a pair of the plain Tricker's off of STP, and am curious to know what others think as I've seen a few posts talking about them.

Unfortunately I didn't get them on sale, but did use a 30% off coupon. From what I'm reading the price of $265 I paid is a bit below retail, but no real deal.

I actually like the shoes quite a bit, the style is nice and they seem quite comfortable. Quality and style appears better than a like for like AE at a similar price point.

Any comments from the group?

thanks - spence

Jerry52

Reaction score
Spence,

I hope you ultimately enjoy your new shoes. Really time is what you need to get the answer, about their true comfort level and their construction.

I love dress shoes, especially the European ones, but I'm no expert.

However, I think the general consensus on here (I'll be in trouble for trying to speak about a consensus, LOL!) is that Tricker is a sort of "dark horse"- a sensible shoe, a good value, one that kind of "flies under the radar."

To me, considering how woefully the dollar is performing against the British Pound Sterling, I think you did pretty soundly on the price... sure, no telling what you could have found on EBAY, but then you have to be sure you're using a trustworthy seller. Nordstrom has a good reputation for occasional sales and a very good return policy, but they don't carry all brands and may not carry Tricker.

At this point, I'd look at it as a done deal, don't dwell on the money aspect as much as just enjoying the shoes! And taking good care of them will add further life and value! Maybe you can post for us in a half year or so, and let us know how they are working out...

Jerry

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Tricker's from STP recently as well. I really like the shoe, not that I know much about them...still learning, but haven't worn them yet. As Jerry said, only time will tell.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
My (oldish) Tricker's catalogue gives prices in the £195-£215 for the main ranges (Jermyn Street, 1829 and County), so by that count you did pretty well. I like them, personally - my first good shoe was the Tricker's Ascot in acorn and it is still going strong, nearly ten years later.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious how you would compare a Tricker's medium width to an Allen Edmonds. Would you rate it as a D?

spence

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

The reason for my asking is that the STP shoes are from a lower line that retails for about 150UK...so the STP retail price is way off. At a 30% discount they're probably slightly cheaper than having them shipped overseas, but then again that ain't off price shopping
devil.gif

Regarding width, I'd say these are pretty average so in AE terms it would depend on the last. The AE #4 last is a little wide for me and the #5 a little narrow. The Tricker's seem to fit about perfectly, although I can't decide on the 11.5 or 12...I bought both sizes and have to return one.

-spence

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've just received a second e-mail message from STP in which they again claim that the listed retail price comes directly from Tricker's. That, combined with the fact that these ended up at STP at all, make me wonder if they were made for the U.S. market. But it doesn't look like we're going to get any more answers.

spence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
That, combined with the fact that these ended up at STP at all, make me wonder if they were made for the U.S. market. But it doesn't look like we're going to get any more answers.
I was trying to determine if the sizing was UK or US given the STP listing which isn't the same for the various styles. They seem to list US sizes but the width on these shoes is a 5 and I can't find these for sale in the US anywhere online...so I'm assuming it's a UK 11.5/US 12...

Would they use a UK size if they were made for the US market?

Again, I do like the shoes
plain.gif

-spence

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spence
I was trying to determine if the sizing was UK or US given the STP listing which isn't the same for the various styles. They seem to list US sizes but the width on these shoes is a 5 and I can't find these for sale in the US anywhere online...so I'm assuming it's a UK 11.5/US 12...

Would they use a UK size if they were made for the US market?

You ask an excellent question. I ordered an 8.5 and a 9 and the shoes I received were marked as an 8.5 and a 9. STP notes that they run small, and to order 1/2 size larger. But I don't know enough about Tricker's sizing to say what that means. I'm usually a 9, and kept the 9.

spence

Reaction score
Perhaps STP is correct then. Mine are the plain bluchers that don't have the note to size up 1/2. I did order an 11-1/2 and 12 from the listing which is how they were marked.

I'm usually a US 12 and converted US 12's are sometimes a tad large. The Tricker's 11.5's (UK I'm assuming) seem to fit very well...and I'm assuming again these are really a US 12 with the conversion. They certainly don't have a long toe, they are among my shorter shoes, but not overly so.

I can't imagine they would use a US length and a UK width, but the listings are confusing.

-spence

spence

Reaction score
I've come to realize that my feet are just a bit more narrow than average, not enough to justify a different width with most brands but enough to cause some headache fitting shoes.
musicboohoo[1].gif

-spence

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I've just received a second e-mail message from STP in which they again claim that the listed retail price comes directly from Tricker's. That, combined with the fact that these ended up at STP at all, make me wonder if they were made for the U.S. market. But it doesn't look like we're going to get any more answers.

plus, i think the pediwear UK price is actually an always on sale price - maybe 50 gbp below the high street price - which is why the pediwear sales in january and july aren't very deep (typically no more than 20% off)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads