• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STP dilemma

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, maybe this is a ridiculous question, but you only live once. Considering price, value, construction, materials, etc., which of these two STP suits would you spring for:

F_48577_1-vi.jpg

Above is the Belvest Super 180s.

48395_71

This the Gianluca Isaia Napoli 130.

TIA for comparisons, critiques, attacks, etc.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, make sure to use the 15% code (W D A M X 6 [remove spaces]) or a 20% code (if there is one out there)

I am personally partial to the Isaia cut which fits me very well. I think both suits are probably of quite comparable quality. If I were you, I would go with the fabric you prefer... Or if you really cannot decide, order both and return the one you like the least.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good question, Doc. Currently I have a light-grey Italian suit, a dark green Lauren suit, a medium-brown chalk-stripe 3P and a couple of summer suits, both tan, one wool and the other a linen/cotton blend. What I don't have is a good charcoal or navy work-horse sort of a business suit, so I was hoping to take advantage of the STP sale to pick one up. I know the Gianluca Isaia said it was indigo, but it looks dark enough to pass, at least in that pic.

So, that's what I'm after.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry, just to clarify. I did order the Gianluca last night in the color pictured above. At the moment on their web site they only have the grey and black striped versions, but as of yesterday they had a third color, qv the pic posted.

But I'm tempted by the Belvest and have read good things about them here. What I'm interested in is any thoughts members have on whether there's anything to choose between the two in terms of construction quality, etc. Are these Isaias "real" Isaias or some mass-market brand from the tailor?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Good question, Doc. Currently I have a light-grey Italian suit, a dark green Lauren suit, a medium-brown chalk-stripe 3P and a couple of summer suits, both tan, one wool and the other a linen/cotton blend. What I don't have is a good charcoal or navy work-horse sort of a business suit, so I was hoping to take advantage of the STP sale to pick one up. I know the Gianluca Isaia said it was indigo, but it looks dark enough to pass, at least in that pic.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend either of these, then. Neither is going to plug the hole in your wardrobe, and the price you'll pay could easily buy you something more in line with what you need.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these Isaias "real" Isaias or some mass-market brand from the tailor?

The Isaia suits sold by S.T.P are "real". They are very well constructed and have all the hand-tailoring details you expect from Gianluca Isaia. Stay away from the lower "Gianluca" line if you're looking for a fully-canvassed construction. They started to appear on S.T.P as well now

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doc, could you clarify? Is it something to do with the materials or the color that you think makes them inappropriate? Sorry for a stupid question; just trying to understand your objection.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doc, could you clarify? Is it something to do with the materials or the color that you think makes them inappropriate? Sorry for a stupid question; just trying to understand your objection.

Sorry, I don't mean to imply that either are inappropriate in the abstract sense. Both are quality brands, and both are fine suits. But I think you put your finger on it when you said you needed a workhorse in navy or charcoal. From the suits you mentioned, I agree. I'd suggest your next purchase be a navy or charcoal solid. Both would be much more versatile than either of these. What do you wear to weddings or funerals, for example?

Also, I'm partly colorblind, so I have to ask: What color is the one you bought?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Isaia I bought was described, I believe, as indigo, but it looks pretty close to Navy to me. I guess I'll find out... I suppose I could get a navy or charcoal solid, but solids seem a little boring, so I was striving for conservative-yet-interesting.

At the moment, I wear the dark green (it's a hard color to describe; I think it's green, but my wife disagrees; I guess she'd call it a dark grey? Not sure...) as my "conservative" choice at the moment, but it's not exactly right in that role. I had for years used a charcoal suit with subtle pinstripes as my go-to conservative suit (it was a good wedding/funeral sort of suit), but the pants just fell apart on me, so that's the suit I'm trying to replace.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Isaia I bought was described, I believe, as indigo, but it looks pretty close to Navy to me. I guess I'll find out... I suppose I could get a navy or charcoal solid, but solids seem a little boring, so I was striving for conservative-yet-interesting.

I hear you. I'm a huge fan of chalkstripes myself. But don't underestimate the appeal of a well-cut solid. The right suit can look great. I've been watching the old Avengers TV shows lately, and I marvel at how form-fitting Steed's suits are. I can't say I want mine quite so closely cut, but it's an impressive bit of tailoring.

Avengers aside, solid suits offer an advantage in that they're not particularly memorable. I can trot out my gray flannel chalkstripe only so often. But a good charcoal or navy solid can see heavy use and no one will notice. Handy for traveling and such, and for important events where stripes would be out of place.

Siggy

Reaction score
I think you did well with the Isaia. The Belvest is also very nice, depending on your color/fabric preferences. They are both high quality suits.

Indigo will be a very dark navy.

darkoak

Reaction score
Doesn't indigo have a purplish hue to it? I asked the customer service person at STP and that's what she said.

Has anyone bought an "indigo" isaia suit and can comment on the color?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I've ordered both. I _plan_ to send one back. That, or I'll be in trouble with the Mrs. I'll report on my findings and on the color of the Isaia when I've got them in hand.

Doc, I hear you on the durability. I read somewhere (was it AAAC?) that the high-numbered fabrics (such as a 180) _can_ be less durable, but I would hope that Belvest suitings will be first rate. I suppose I know more in a week or so, provided I ordered in time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads