• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STP Corneliani with pics

botanist

Reaction score
Hello again,

I posted a thread a week ago about a charcoal STP corneliani suit. You can find it here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=15177 As a recap, this suit will be my primary interview suit for law firms (preferably in DC).

The suit came in the mail yesterday and I wanted to get your opinion on the fit before alterations. I'm trying to decide if I should keep it. What do you all think?

back.jpg

front.jpg

rightview.jpg

I like the material. If I keep it, I am planning on getting it taken in some around the midsection as it is slightly "blousy" in the back.

Thanks again,

Andy

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleeves are too short.

I like the couch in the background.

Please change the your shoes, or at least polish them
wink.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The back may also be a combination of the typical Corneliani shape and his buiild. I have the same issues with every Corneliani I own. Even after altering there is still some creasing. Of course I also have "malfunctioning " shoulders that make a good fit yet harder. P.s. the shoulder shape looks good, better than it looks on mine
thumbs-up.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If this is the 38R that is now sold out, I'd say it's a wash and you should recoup what you can by selling it to me. I'll give you $200.

If it's not, you've got a good starting point. It's hard to tell these things from still pictures, but it looks like the back and sleeves need work. There's rippling under the collar, and it looks like a surplus of fabric overall. As Norcaltransplant mentioned and I'm sure you're aware, the sleeves are short, which I find surprising, considering how long my arms are and how well Corneliani fits me. But the sleeves also have a bagginess that needs addressed.

From the front, however, the jacket hangs very nicely. And the trousers look like they'd require little work other than hemming. It's certainly a sharp suit. Keep us posted on what you decide to do with it.

coachvu

Reaction score
It looks like your right shoulder droops. Does anyone know if a tailor can add padding to lessen the effect?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
If this is the 38R that is now sold out, I'd say it's a wash and you should recoup what you can by selling it to me. I'll give you $200. If it's not, you've got a good starting point. It's hard to tell these things from still pictures, but it looks like the back and sleeves need work. There's rippling under the collar, and it looks like a surplus of fabric overall. As Norcaltransplant mentioned and I'm sure you're aware, the sleeves are short, which I find surprising, considering how long my arms are and how well Corneliani fits me. But the sleeves also have a bagginess that needs addressed. From the front, however, the jacket hangs very nicely. And the trousers look like they'd require little work other than hemming. It's certainly a sharp suit. Keep us posted on what you decide to do with it.
Hey Doc, as you are around the same size as I am, have you had those rippling problems in the back near the collar and strange shoulder flow when altered? I have had a hell of a time eliminating them. I remember having put some pics up (pre-crash) of a three piece Corneliani of mine that sort of showed this; there were a few contradicting ideas on how to deal with it. It is possible Botanist is in the same situation as I.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
It looks like your right shoulder droops. Does anyone know if a tailor can add padding to lessen the effect?
I would assume so but I would not trust any of my tailors to do that
frown.gif
(especially the one that messed up my Luciano Barbera suit).

Hanseat

Reaction score
I don't see it in a correct angle but still I think the jacket is a bit on the short side but tolerable. It covers your butt, which is the most important way of assessing the length.

The lapels look a bit out of proportion to me but I'd have to see the jacket closed (I also hope the pose is just very unnatural and your left shoulder isn't that much higher- look at the buttonholes). Are the side vents still closed? If not it's a very good fit there (you probably don't have buch of a butt protruding). Obviously the sleeves need work.
As a side note I think you need higher collars (look at the neck in the last picture), the cuffs are a tad too long and a collar with a bigger spread (plus a knot that is not oversized) are important pints for future purchases.

Have your tailor put in the heaviest band he can find in the cuffs of the trousers (preferably something even a bit heavier in the back) to improve the drape.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
The back may also be a combination of the typical Corneliani shape and his buiild. I have the same issues with every Corneliani I own. Even after altering there is still some creasing.

Same here. My tailor could lessen it but not eliminate it. It's not too bad, though.

It looks like you got a great suit, botanist. Aside from legthening the sleeves slightly and pinching the waist a little, you might need to have some of that excess fabric just behind and below the arms tucked in at the side seams. It's hard to tell without seeing the coat in action, though...your tailor should know.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Hey Doc, as you are around the same size as I am, have you had those rippling problems in the back near the collar and strange shoulder flow when altered? I have had a hell of a time eliminating them. I remember having put some pics up (pre-crash) of a three piece Corneliani of mine that sort of showed this; there were a few contradicting ideas on how to deal with it. It is possible Botanist is in the same situation as I.

I've been fortunate that my Cornelianis have fit nearly perfectly, aside from needing minor nips and tucks. I've never had trouble with the back. I have a couple that probably could be taken in at the waist, but I've left them alone for fear of future weight gain.

If you still have the pics of the three-piece, I'd love to see them. I've been thinking of calling Corneliani's NYC store to see if they have a charcoal three-piece available.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I've been fortunate that my Cornelianis have fit nearly perfectly, aside from needing minor nips and tucks. I've never had trouble with the back. I have a couple that probably could be taken in at the waist, but I've left them alone for fear of future weight gain. If you still have the pics of the three-piece, I'd love to see them. I've been thinking of calling Corneliani's NYC store to see if they have a charcoal three-piece available.
Sure. I will put them up somewhere... the suit is charcoal/rust subtle windowpane. I won't hijack this thread, will put it in a new thread
smile.gif
Edit: Here is the thread http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...879#post194879

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of this advice is excellent-but let's not make the kid too nervous: We don't want him to worry that he is going into these interviews looking like The Shaggy DA; the fact is he already is better put-together than at least 80% of the recent graduates I see walking around Manhattan. Although he might get interviewed by someone as discerning as some of our esteemed members, so it's best to play it safe and make all the adjustments you can.

That said, I think you might re-think the shoes (maybe those aren't your interview shoes anyway). The thickness of the soles and the large, contrasting stitching make them look a bit casual.

I like the way your tie knot sits in your collar by the way. Good luck on your interviews and remember: If you get nervous, just imagine the other guy in a Men's Wearhouse suit.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
A...
I like the way your tie knot sits in your collar by the way. Good luck on your interviews and remember: If you get nervous, just imagine the other guy in a Men's Wearhouse suit.

Which is probably the best case scenario for the other guy anyway
biggrin.gif

But I agree with you. Still looks pretty good.

kdsvs

Reaction score
Agree with the aforementioned points about waist and sleeve length. Lapels look a bit funny - they're short and wide.

Let me preface the next point by saying I'm not an expert at this sort of thing: but does anyone else think the shoulders are too wide and boxy? If so, this isn't something that can be fixed by alterations. "Shoulders too wide" seems to be the most frequent criticism of RTW suits...I'm surprised no one's brought it up here when it seemed obvious to my eye.

IMO, the suit is definitely adequate for interviews, but the fit doesn't meet the high standard typically seen on this board.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I think the trouser cuffs look not well done... but maybe some pressing would help. I agree with all of the above points. It's probably obvious but... fasten that middle button!
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads