• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stoves/Ranges

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with various brands? High-BTU burners with a nice, low simmer? Preferably, all the burners go to the max AND simmer. I don't like it when the burners are all different sizes. Open burners or sealed?

Also, I think I want duel fuel; gas ovens have given me headaches in the past. Also, all burners? Or would you get a griddle, too? There is no way I am doing an indoor grill, but I might consider a griddle. Some say that the griddle, if used as a simmer plate, is very effective. Since I make a lot of sauces, this is pretty important to me.

I just started looking into this, and the array of choices is bewildering. I have little doubt that many here will know a lot, and also have strong opinions, so have at it.

Thanks.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chuck Norris uses 8'x10' sheets of plywood as toilet paper. Sorry. Check out the ads in Gourmet Monthly.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Check out the ads in Gourmet Monthly.
Ads?!? Ads?!? I want genuine Style Forum insight! Come on, this place has informed consumers of every high-end product under the sun. From reading this site, I learned how to find my longitude in the middle of the Indian Ocean (should the need arise) using nothing but an old Patek Philipe (should I ever come across one). Don't let me down, guys!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would say that Thermador is right up your alley. They have real high BTU burners and great low simmer. Mnay model configurations so that you can get a griddle also. I also like Wolf and since they were taken over by Sub Zero, they are much more refined and also easier to find. BUT......... if you want real restaurant action, there is no substitute for a real restaurant gas range/griddle. Yes they are huge and yes you'll have to rewire your entire kitchen and put in an industrial fan but they are awesome. A friend has one and you can easily cook three courses for twenty without breaking a sweat
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Thanks.

I should mention that I only have room for 36". A 48" range would be nice, but there is just no way. I have rewired the kitchen; I have enough juice for about a 900 CFM blower.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An electric oven is definitely the way to go. If possible, I'd get a double oven. I don't have any clue how much cooking you do, but it is extraordinarily convenient to be able to run two different temps, and to do so accurately.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I would love to have two ovens. But I have no wall space for ovens. And, of the high-power ranges I have looked at, 36" models only have one oven. To get two, you have to go up to 48", which I cannot fit.

jay allen

Reaction score
A couple years ago we did a significant addition to our home....including a new kitchen. The stove we chose was a 48" DCS dual fuel with 4 burners, griddle, and grill. It has two ovens, one of which is a convection. We also got the matching hood system with 1200 CFM blower.

I don't have all of the specs handy but can get them if you need them. I believe the burners are 18K BTU and they have the simmer function. We are very happy with the stove...although the cost is insane. I was able to find a floor model, in the previous years style, so I got a significant "discount". I believe we paid $8,000 for the package. If it hadn't been a display unit, and a current model, I believe the total would have been nearer $11,000.

We chose DCS over Viking or Thermador based on personal preference for the style. You really can't go wrong with any of these stoves. It's the sort of thing that you can't believe you spent that much money on a freakin' stove......but you are always happy that you have it.

Good luck with your search.

operationexpat

Reaction score
To continue my "I live in China and ... " theme ...

I cook on a hot plate. The only temperature settings are: Fast Fry, Fry, Cook, and Porridge. All are too hot for doing anything but boiling water. Sigh.

I would give my left pinky toe for a gas range ....

jay allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I would say that Thermador is right up your alley. They have real high BTU burners and great low simmer. Mnay model configurations so that you can get a griddle also. I also like Wolf and since they were taken over by Sub Zero, they are much more refined and also easier to find. BUT......... if you want real restaurant action, there is no substitute for a real restaurant gas range/griddle. Yes they are huge and yes you'll have to rewire your entire kitchen and put in an industrial fan but they are awesome. A friend has one and you can easily cook three courses for twenty without breaking a sweat
smile.gif

You would need to check your local building codes to see if they allow "restaurant" ranges in residential homes. They don't in Portland, Maine. Restaurant ranges aren't insulated nearly as well as the residential versions. Having owned both (owned a restaurant for several years) I can tell you there isn't much difference in performance.....but the residential ranges cost about 2 to 3 times as much because of the safety features that are mandated. Restaurants are required to have fire suppression systems built into the hood over the range. So while the range isn't as costly....you spend several thousand dollars on a fire suppression system. There is no cheap way to cook spam....if you are doing it in a professional range.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Interesting to know about home ranges and safety. I think I will stick to them.

Style-wise, I like the Viking the best. I also like that all the burners all do a low simmer. Reputation-wise, I think people prefer the Wolf oven to the Viking, but the Viking burners to the Wolf. Since I cook on the stove more than I bake, burners are more important to me than ovens.

I don't know much about Thermidor, and have never even heard of DCS. Any further light anyone could shed would be appreciated.

jay allen

Reaction score
This a link to the DCS site...and the approx. version of the stove we bought. Believe me....I looked at every brand mentioned in this post....and there isn't much difference in any of the top brands. We chose DCS because we like the control knobs better if I recall correctly. You will be thrilled with which ever range you choose. http://www.dcsappliances.com/indoor/detail.php?id=4

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Any preferences for open v. sealed burners? The conventional wisdom seems to be that open perform better (not sure why; something about air flow) and sealed are easier to clean.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Ads?!? Ads?!? I want genuine Style Forum insight! Come on, this place has informed consumers of every high-end product under the sun. From reading this site, I learned how to find my longitude in the middle of the Indian Ocean (should the need arise) using nothing but an old Patek Philipe (should I ever come across one). Don't let me down, guys!

Wanna learn to take apart a Patek Cal. 240 and put it back together again?

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads