Stoves/Ranges

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Manton, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Horace

Horace Senior member

Platinum is nice in that scuffs, etc. can be polished out in a way different from gold.

The metal can be literally pushed back into the groove with platinum.

Must remember to tell the scullery maids that.

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

FWIW, I have a Traulsen commercial fridge and freezer. I hate them and would advise against buying one.

3. Horace

Horace Senior member

I just wanted to weigh in with the Trad choice of stove and range: Sears. Thank you very much.

4. Alexis

Alexis Senior member

I don't understand the gentleman's trouble. I cook on a simple Whirlpool electric range and never had problems with temperature control.

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I don't understand the gentleman's trouble. I cook on a simple Whirlpool electric range and never had problems with temperature control.

Actually, you should, but the opposite problem. Electric ranges excel in the simmering department, but not in high-temperature applications, where the physics of their operation do not allow for the heat rate, peak temperature, or the instantaneous temperature control of a gas burner. So a good standard of a gas range is how well it can cope with what it does not do well -- the low temperature range -- hence all the fuss.

Regards,
    Huntsman

6. Alexis

Alexis Senior member

Actually, you should, but the opposite problem. Electric ranges excel in the simmering department, but not in high-temperature applications, where the physics of their operation do not allow for the heat rate, peak temperature, or the instantaneous temperature control of a gas burner. So a good standard of a gas range is how well it can cope with what it does not do well -- the low temperature range -- hence all the fuss.

Regards,
    Huntsman

My oven can't cook a steak the way Ruth's Chris can. It doesn't get hot enough.

7. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I'm not going to state here I have never failed a hollandaise or a crème anglaise (ma bête noire), but I have been successful at making these on most stoves, gas, electric, etc, in various countries.

8. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

In the market for one right now as well. Trying to find a good used one off craigslist but their aren't too many to be had.

I just bought a 36" Kobe 800cfm range hood off of CL for a good deal.

What would you guys recommend for a 30" or 36" range that would be fairly easy on the pocketbook?

I was looking at the Kenmore Elite 36" 6 burner even though it doesn't have the convection oven.

I'm a novice to cooking but am looking to get better.

9. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

I'm not going to state here I have never failed a hollandaise or a crème anglaise (ma bête noire), but I have been successful at making these on most stoves, gas, electric, etc, in various countries.

My cooking teacher, whose credentials include cooking with AdrÃa of El Bulli, said she could cook well on any stove, particularly gas. She ardently said technology really doesn´t help - that 95% of a good meal is good raw materials and technique.

In any event, pls. buy a $15,000 stove/range and a $10,000 frig. The economy needs all the stimulus it can get. [​IMG]

10. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Manton: Consider a Lacanche range. Two ovens, grill, griddle, wok, and simmer plate. We also had space problems and the width of the Cluny model is one meter. www.frenchranges.com These are all over France and are workhorse tools for the serious cook.
    We have one in our house in France. The Cluny model. I really, really do not like it.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

We have one in our house in France. The Cluny model. I really, really do not like it.

That is a sentence I will never be able to truthfully utter.

[​IMG]

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Interesting comment.

We have one in Boston and we love it.

What is your problem with this beauty? I have been in two B&Bs in France (Loire Valley and Ile de Re) and both had a Cluny, using it as an everyday, workhorse stove whose owners adore it.

I dislike the fact that the burners don't all give off the same amount of flame. That seems like a stupid design to me, as you need to think too much in deciding which burner to use for each application. It is also not as sturdy as our Wolf at home. The design is not my taste, but that is neither here nor there.

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

That is a sentence I will never be able to truthfully utter. [​IMG]
    Yeah... Matt really makes me feel like a small-timer. I love how he casually drops "my house in france... my father's jet..." Life just isn't fair. [​IMG] I think I'll become a redistributionist.

15. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Yeah... Matt really makes me feel like a small-timer. I love how he casually drops "my house in france... my father's jet..." Life just isn't fair. [​IMG] I think I'll become a redistributionist.

My approach is sycophancy. If you can't join them, kiss up to them.

Matt, you are so totally right about that French stove.