• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Storing handkerchiefs

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just today received about 50 different handkerchiefs in the mail to add to my collection of 15 or so. I am trying to figure out how to store these so they don't get too creased, but also so I can pick one out, because almost all of them are different colours/patterns. Does anyone have any ideas here? I can't dedicate a whole bunch of space to this.

Thanks.

j.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
J,

Are they pocket squares, or handkerchiefs?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes.
smile.gif
They are all around 16" x 16", and I call them all handkerchiefs as I think the term pocket square is ridiculous. We may as well call pants "leg rectangles", and socks "foot cylinders". If you mean are they useful or for accessory only, some are useful, and those I will just fold and stack as they are all just white cotton or linen, and some are for accessory - the coloured and patterned ones. I don't buy silk 'squares' as they seem somehow affected to me, so they all are cotton or linen. It's the latter group I am trying to figure out how to store, so I can pick one easily without having to rifle through stacks upon stacks. I would rather not crease them by folding them up small either. I don't know if there really is a solution; I'm sure I'll have to compromise and probably end up folding them and filing them next to each other in a drawer like my socks.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
J,

I have lots of silk ones- all different colors, most solid. I stack then on a shelf in light to dark colors like my knits, folded lengthwise twice (quarters). Because they're silk, they stay unwrinkled.

And they can be affected yes, although I prefer the term swashbuckling....

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, silk 'quadranglular fabric accent accessories' would stay unwrinkled, which would be a plus. I just don't swashbuckle very often, so I don't have any. If I ever have to do any swashbuckling, I'll pick up a few.
smile.gif
I guess I just like to think that if really necessary, I actually could use the handkerchief for something, like stopping bleeding or tying a tourniquet. It's something about keeping the practical origins of things... I don't know.

bcmc

Reaction score
I leave all my linen and silk handkerchiefs laying flat in a single stack on a sweater shelf in my wardrobe. I never know how I'm going to use it until I get dressed. Sometimes they end up folded in an inside pocket, and sometimes they are stuffed in an outer pocket to be seen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads