• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stores you'd want to like but hate

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me the numero uno is Barney's. I'd really want to like the store because it has pretty nice stuff but everytime I go there the customer service is so bad. I get better customer service at the Banana Republic or Gap. I feel that when you are at that price point, you are selling customer service.

Bergdorf Men's is starting to creep up my annoyance list for the same reason.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers. When I think of BB, images of their early 60s heyday and all that came with it come to mind, not the dull uninspired BB of today. Tho I did see an advert saying they were bringing back their early 60s style suit, which fits slimmer and is a bit more "modern" via being "retro".

Rolo

Reaction score
From the Gotham Gazette web site (Oct 28, 2002):

"It is in New York City during the Civil War that the term "shoddy" got its modern meaning. At the time, shoddy simply meant ground-up rags. But the New York clothing manufacturers who were contracted to make army uniforms used shoddy, and the uniforms fell apart. That company is still in business, Brooks Brothers."

Things could be worse than dull and uninspired.

Rolo

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I would love to love NM but every time i go in I get disappointed by the snotty salesladies looking up and down my spouse like they are fronting her and being snotty to her when she asks a question.

And their prices are so jacked up and I cant believe I couldnt use my Visa, or checkcard, or anything except for cold hard cash or a personal check.
what the? who carries around a personal check? i leave that at my desk where i pay my monthly bills but even then they are paid auto via online.

i saw a john lobb chestnut museum calf brand new plain toe blucher in 9.5E at the NM in newport beach, it is 40% off of 1095 if anyone is interested. they also had a couple more john lobbs at 40% off and a whole stock of mantellassis priced at 1095 at 40% off as well, but im not interested in those.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
Things could be worse than dull and uninspired.

hmm...i dunno, I'd rather see my fave brands shut down completely than "jump the shark"

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
I would love to love NM but every time i go in I get disappointed by the snotty salesladies looking up and down my spouse like they are fronting her and being snotty to her when she asks a question.

I've had similar experiences. Service is woefully inconsistent. I was wearing casual clothes last time I was in, and one guy in suits clearly didn't have the time of day for me. Very patronizing. Then I went over to shoes and got spectacular service. I was wearing a fairly nice pair, so that probably helped, but I got the impression the fellow would have been helpful had I been in Chucks.

Saks, on the other hand, I find much better overall.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got to agree with GS on Brooks. I mean, I want to love it and I do love it, but there's very little from there I can actually wear because of the fit.

tbabes

Reaction score
From a customer service standpoint, I have been thoroughly unimpressed with NM.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for BB as well. I was in the midtown store in NYC a few months ago and saw a lot of stuff I would love to rock but everything I tried on made me look like I was wearing a bag.

A.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe

And their prices are so jacked up and I cant believe I couldnt use my Visa, or checkcard, or anything except for cold hard cash or a personal check.
what the? who carries around a personal check? i leave that at my desk where i pay my monthly bills but even then they are paid auto via online.

i saw a john lobb chestnut museum calf brand new plain toe blucher in 9.5E at the NM in newport beach, it is 40% off of 1095 if anyone is interested. they also had a couple more john lobbs at 40% off and a whole stock of mantellassis priced at 1095 at 40% off as well, but im not interested in those.

Don't they take American Express. And they will also give you a NM credit card on the spot. So there are 2 more options for paying.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I've gotten good service at Barneys, Neimans, & Saks when I wanted it....in contrast with others' experiences, at Neiman's Ive always received excellent service, both on Wilshire and at Fascist Island. Ralph Lauren stores also seem to be very helpful whenever I've gone in.

Fortunately whenever I go into a Brooks, I am pretty much ignored, which works well since I have no plans to buy anything anyways.

otterhound

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
+1 for BB as well. I was in the midtown store in NYC a few months ago and saw a lot of stuff I would love to rock but everything I tried on made me look like I was wearing a bag.
Dude. That's the way BB clothes are supposed to fit.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron

A.

Ditto, though I now buy MTM buttondown shirts from BB (they have the largest selection of that heinous non-iron fabric).

The store I really want to like is Ralph Lauren, but I hate logos. Since Ralph is not going to lose the logos just because I say so, I'll continue buying polo shirts elsewhere.

At NM, BB, etc., I get good service when I want good service and I get ignored when I want to be ignored. When I want service, I wear at least a coat and tie; when I want to be ignored, I wear jeans and a polo shirt. The only store where this hasn't worked is Ralph Lauren in La Jolla, where they always ignore their customers. It's a good thing they don't carry Purple Label anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads