1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Storage Wars

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by SpooPoker, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Would Smash Brandi in a heartbeat.

I have watched every single episode of this show and I am still curious if they actually make the money the show claims.

FWIW, I can't stand Dave. He's such a pompous ass.

2. velobran

velobran Senior member

They always over estimate shit when adding up the totals from the locker.
    Rusted out broken bicycle: "I can get $250 for this"
    Wicker chair: "This is an easy $70, no problem"
    Box of mall purses: "These designer things go for $50 - 80 each - thats about $300 here"

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The prices are always full blown retail. They rarely deduct anything more than the cost of the locker. What about the cost of their staff coming over to pick it up? Rental of a moving van? Repairs or cleaning it up? And then, do you really think everyone will pay the full retail price in some tacky Consignment or Thrift store? Not these days. Especially because of shows like this, or Pawn Stars, American Pickers, etc., people are more bold about asking for a deal.

But, all that aside, for some reason I enjoy watching the show. But without Barry I think it would be too rough and tacky and wouldn't watch it.

By the way, I met with a TV Production company about 2 weeks ago to discuss program concepts. They are one of the leading suppliers of content. He said "it is all about money and finding treasure. Pickers, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars...... that is what all the cable channels want"

4. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Yeah, I ALWAYS raise an eyebrow when they just rattle off prices for the junk they find.

The ones that I think make SOME sense are Jarrod and Dave since they own b&m businesses that need to be stocked with inventory. Sure, you can price some dusty ass chair for $XX doesn't mean you'll get that OR get it right away.

i think the worst offender is Darrell...he doesn't have a need for inventory, so his ability to value and re-sell the item is questionable, at best.

5. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

i think they can just build a show around barry , the rest of the parts are interchangeable, i bet these people lose money on 90% of these lockers the prices they guesstimate are ridiculous

6. GusW

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  7. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Another show called "AuctionHunters" claim that 80% of the lockers are worthless

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

they also need brandi's tits

9. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Me too.

10. GusW

I didn't find that Facebook page :):)

11. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I'll start one:D

12. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

On an episode I watched the other day, the new lady was saying how she'd get $10/piece for Pyrex. Yea, $10 for used Pyrex when I can go to Target and grab the same thing new for $10 max.

13. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

I think Dave has the most accurate estimates on prices. He has built a huge store, and a successful business, on his stuff. He has a lot of experience in that industry. Despite that, I fucking abhor Dave Hester. His stupid turtle looking face and douchebag attitude boils my blood.

14. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

Yuuuuuup

15. Cameron Roberts

Cameron Roberts New Member

I actually agree fully with @pocketsquareguy. Owning a storage facility in Sydney, I know firsthand what some of these storage units look like when they are opened up and sometimes the amount of things in there is really overwhelming. If you're looking to make a quick buck, then you have to factor in transportation and manpower. But if you've got the time to sift and you're looking for a side project...

16. FunLovinStyle

FunLovinStyle Senior member