1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Storage of ties?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ed13, Nov 10, 2004.

1. jester

jester Senior member

Yes. I've found they work very well.

Wife Appreciation Factor.

2. j

j Senior member Admin

Don't they smoosh the silk making the tie thinner though? Or are they padded inside or something?

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Personally would stay away from generally pressing a tie, when not necessary. Â Will kill the roll of the tie (Flatten the edges that shouldnt be flattened but rolled) The tie is supposed to have a little height to it and not be razor sharp at the edges. Also if the tie has a little depth to the texture you might kill that as well. But...If it works for you... As far as WAF...I first thought World Armwrestling Federation, or Women in Air Force, But with a little more digging with Google, came up with this... Wife Acceptance Factor JJF EDIT: Why would you need to have these little Tie Mashers all around the house?

4. jester

jester Senior member

I do it lightly and for short periods, and haven't had a problem. I'm sure that if you really clamped it down and left it there, it wouldn't be the best thing.

Did I mention they look really great? Even if you don't use them.

5. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I've a great Edwardian era tie press bought in London that I use for my ties. Beautiful veneered top on it. At any rate, I find if you don't press the tie as if you were making wine that it does no damage to the tie. That and only keep the tie in there for a few hours. And as has been said, they look nice and they are a conversation starter. Most people have no idea what it is -- O tempora, O mores. -- until I tell them.

6. drljva

drljva Senior member

I, too, have gone the "motorized" route (sharper Image). Saves space, and let's me get at the tie I'm after quickly...

JV