Storage of ties?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ed13, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Ed13

Ed13 Senior member

Just wondering if it is ok to store ties rolled up? I currently keep my ties folded once and laid out in a drawer but want to move them to my closet and put them in some kind of wall cabinet. I saw a picture somewhere of ties rolled up and placed in cubbyholes in a cabinet and was wondering if this is o.k. for long term storage or could it affect the liner or anything else with the tie?

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I think quite a few tie companies store their ties rolled in boxes, so I imagine it's ok...

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Generally you would probably want to Hang your silks so the gravity will get out any creases and roll your Knits so they dont stretch.

Rolling is certainly fine even for silks but if they are creased you wont get the creases out whereas hanging them will.

JJF

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

FIH:

Certainly you know much more about ties than I do, but isn't rolling ties a way to get wrinkles out of them? I thought I read that somewhere that the best way to do that was to roll the tie around your hand?

5. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

According to Chuck (and I defer to his experience and knowledge) the best and most effective way is with a steamer. Â I personally dont encourage it unless you have to as the creases are really bad. Â The easiest way would be hanging them and letting gravity and time do its work. Â I dont see how the creases will be removed from a knot crease lets say by wrapping it around your hand. (Unless you are hanging at the time... [​IMG] ) I once had a very textured tie wrinkle in the shipping and was told by the manufacturor to lightly press it, but I dont advise. JJF

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I had a couple ties that were creased and steamed them to no effect, I haven't tried this rolling trick yet though. I hang my ties from a motorized rack which has worked well so far.

7. arvi

arvi Senior member

perhaps it's habit learned from my father but i roll tie tightly after wearing and let stay that way overnight and then hang on tie rack..my father said the tenion caused by the rolling would remove creases...works for me [​IMG]

8. matcha

matcha Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that rolling them to store them was the way to go. I've tried it that way for the past year. The ties are fine. I keep mine in a drawer, using a drawer insert that is designed for socks (it divides the area into little squares. I find I can see all my ties more easily with that system.

I've definitely heard that knit ties are best stored rolled up rather than hanging.

9. 9_Ball_Slim

9_Ball_Slim Active Member

I've used the "Tie Caddy" system for over three years now, with no complaints. I have over 200 ties in my collection, and don't wear many of them more than once every year or so. They seem to do fine in the tubes for long periods of time.

10. ernest

ernest Senior member

200 cadies at $5 = $1 000...........

11. 9_Ball_Slim

9_Ball_Slim Active Member

Ya gotta' spend it on something....besides, if you by them 24 at a time from Neckties.com, they only cost $4.25 [​IMG]

12. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

The trick of rolling ties up works in my experience, provided the bundle is stored on its side.

All my ties are now rolled up in a cardboard box. I open the box, every few weeks to say hello and turn each tie 45 degrees so they won't get squashed and develop creases.

B

13. Horace

Horace Senior member

You've got to be joking. Amazing the ends our fine forum members will go to for sartorial perfection.

Bravo.

H

14. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

LOL. [​IMG]

15. arvi

arvi Senior member

i was so glad to see that i'm not alone that sent this thread to my wife who still has no idea how many ties i own ;> perhaps i should store ("hide") them in boxes against the day that she might count them [​IMG]