• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stopped playing video games

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to play video games up to 5 hours a day, although 2 - 3 was average from my teens to mid twenties. For the past two years (I'm 31 now), I have barely played video games, if at all. I'll go months at a time without touching one. They used to bring me so much joy; I even beta tested games in the past.

What happened?

I can say from a practical perspective that I have climbed the corporate ladder, so work has definitely invaded my personal life, I'm married, and have a young kid, but still, you think I'd find some time on weekends to at least dabble in the new Fallout Las Vegas (Fallout 3 was the last time I LOVED a video game).

I know the non-video gamers will say, "oh, you grew up you moron!" but there are lots of 30 somethings who enjoy video gaming, create video games, and well, are still awesome.

Anyone have a similar situation? I'm afraid I've just lost any sense of creativity.
lookaround.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I don't have the time (or ability in China) to play online games, so I just play some specific single player games I'm really interested in.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trust me, playing LoL all day is not a sign of creativity. I cant get anything done
frown.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's called growing up.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I played WoW hardcore for a few years. I don't play it any more and am glad I don't. I just play xbox and ps3 now a few times a week when I have nothing better to do.

drum

Reaction score
Have you never lost interest in a hobby before? There's been a lot of things I used to love doing when I was younger, but I eventually moved on to other things. Gaming was one of them, but my interest quickly declined as I reached my 20s. I very occasionally still feel the urge to play, but when I do boredom sets in and it's usually switched off again in 5-10 minutes.

Anthony K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It happens to practically everybody. When I was in my teens I played video games a lot. I occasionally play a computer game. Though, I'll have one installed on my computer and go months without playing it. I feel I waste time that could've been used towards something else when I play them.

cromulated

Reaction score
there's always a hundred other things to do. i can still squeeze an hour a day out of fallout (then again, i don't have a kid), but that's one of the few games that still captures my interest.

unionjack

Reaction score
i am already in my thirty's and i still play games games fallout3 and starcraft 2 being my favorites. i just had to limit it to 2 to 3 hours a day. i am fortunate that it does not interfere with my my job and family life. i evengot a ati hd graphics card from my wife as a gift
biggrin.gif

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Used to game a lot and spend a ton of time on the computer. Played WoW for a while (got to the point where all I was interested in doing were the battlegrounds with my 39 mage twink...wish they had a "battlegrounds" game that didn't require a monthly subscription)...other than that it was mostly Valve games on steam. I would go on and off...sometimes I would get back into it or find a new game (or more, I would get into a new game and would invariably hop back onto my regular TF2 server with the old gang)...other times interest would wane and I would rarely do it. Partially depended on how busy I was (lot of WoW in the summer...either cancel account or barely touch it during school).

I still like it...but once I started working full time (at a desk, on a computer), it faded away.

Part of it is some RSI troubles that flared up...I barely even touch my desktop computer anymore since I want to have a break from sitting at a desk on a computer.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
I used to play video games up to 5 hours a day, although 2 - 3 was average from my teens to mid twenties. For the past two years (I'm 31 now), I have barely played video games, if at all. I'll go months at a time without touching one. They used to bring me so much joy; I even beta tested games in the past.

What happened?

I can say from a practical perspective that I have climbed the corporate ladder, so work has definitely invaded my personal life, I'm married, and have a young kid, but still, you think I'd find some time on weekends to at least dabble in the new Fallout Las Vegas (Fallout 3 was the last time I LOVED a video game).

I know the non-video gamers will say, "oh, you grew up you moron!" but there are lots of 30 somethings who enjoy video gaming, create video games, and well, are still awesome.

Anyone have a similar situation? I'm afraid I've just lost any sense of creativity.
lookaround.gif

Used to be absolutely OBSESSED with videogames in elementary school through highschool. The obsession died down a little when Sega ceased production of the Dreamcast. Still played my friends' Playstations (GTA and Tiger woods golf). Bought a playstation 3 shortly after graduation to watch movies and the ocassional game.

I rarely ever play now. It's been 2.5 years since getting the playstation and I've only bought to major games for it: Fall Out 3 and a racing game. Both of which I've only bothered to play half way through. I still like to know what's going on in the industry (I used to write up treatments for games and actually sent them to Nintendo and was seriously interested in working in the industry) , but actually feel guilty or uninterested in the thought of being engrossed in a game for over an hour at any point in time.

What do I think happened? I just found some other interesting things to get into. I find movies more satisfying and with TV I can browse the web and don't feel isolated from the real world. However, I still play some games with friends on ocassion or actually enjoy those $5-10 PSN games. I also spend a significant amount of my free time on weekends (and many weeknights) out with friends.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still play a lot of DotA / HoN, still bad, but I can see myself significantly reducing my gaming time in the future.

I don't think I'll ever outgrow games though, I like them like some people like sports. I find casts of competitive HoN, Brood War, and SC2 to be very entertaining.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
i pull out my SNES once every few years and beat zelda again. usually when holed up during christmas.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No time. Video games nowadays require a huge time dedication to get good at it, especially if you're into multiplayer.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I effectively stopped playing video games almost right after finishing college. No time, better things to do, etc.

During school, playing DotA with friends was my favorite thing to do for hours on end. I'll see what happens once Valve releases DotA2 or when Blizz releases Diablo3

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics